The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #1,264 of 1,866
IMG_0287.jpeg

I am listening to Schiit Loki EQer + Cambridge Audio AM5(has tone controls) + Stax SRD-7(normal bias) + Stax SR-L700 setup. :smile_phones:
it sounds far far far from ruthless/lean/dry sounding. just round/soft/gentle/musical...
Audiophile OCD on sound quality is also a tad fun. but maybe it can be the way of titanic thinking(sinking or scientific delusion or scientific epic fail) for music listening IMO.
please just try if you have some little poket money.:k701smile:

スクリーンショット 2019-05-12 1.28.05.png

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,265 of 1,866
I forgot, I actually heard the L700 MK2 in fujiya spring festival, They sounded much more refined, less shouty (actually no shouteness at higher volumes) and had much more bass than the original L700 (from memory, i own l300le). Actually they sounded much more like focal clear with bigger sound stage (all from memory sorry). The stax staff told me they are using the same driver but they do advertise more bass due to the new headband structure, I do think they tune driver for better sound though. For me they had so much refined sound like 2000$ headphone.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #1,266 of 1,866
I will definitely get one and am looking forward to it. In the meanwhile, you can probably simulate some of the changes by simply pushing the top of the earcups outwards a little bit so that the little plastic tab that prevents it normally goes under the yoke. Be VERY careful doing this since it can easily snap the yoke, but this way you get a little bit less pressure on the top of the earcup and better seal on the bottom. This tightens the bass up a lot, though the rest seems more or less unchanged. They definitely sound better this way, and hopefully that little bit of necessary earcup angle is what the new setup does, among other things.

Shouldn't be a long wait now.

Yeah the 1k shout is annoying. You can EQ it a bit but it's still gonna be there. That, and the bass, are the main flaws. The strengths... pretty much everything else.

Jun 4, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #1,267 of 1,866
I will definitely get one and am looking forward to it. In the meanwhile, you can probably simulate some of the changes by simply pushing the top of the earcups outwards a little bit so that the little plastic tab that prevents it normally goes under the yoke. Be VERY careful doing this since it can easily snap the yoke, but this way you get a little bit less pressure on the top of the earcup and better seal on the bottom. This tightens the bass up a lot, though the rest seems more or less unchanged. They definitely sound better this way, and hopefully that little bit of necessary earcup angle is what the new setup does, among other things.

Shouldn't be a long wait now.

Yeah the 1k shout is annoying. You can EQ it a bit but it's still gonna be there. That, and the bass, are the main flaws. The strengths... pretty much everything else.
Have you tried metal571's EQ settings for the L700? They work pretty well for me:

Jun 7, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,269 of 1,866
Me and my L500's say Hi :)
A few years back I owned the HE60/HEV70 and recently jumped the electrostats wagon again with the L500/353x combo. Before I unboxed I pulled out my loki mini cause I really thought I was going to need the EQ (the HEV70 couldn't provide any bass) but I am actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of bass this combo gives out of the box.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back