The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #376 of 1,866
Great news.  Enjoy!  

This thread has cost me the same $$$ for the same set-up.  Now I just need to save enough $$$.  During that time maybe I can explain to my wife and partner why a man with only 2 ears who owns an HD-800S needs another pair of cans.

If she asks you that, remind her she only has 2 feet and why she needs more than one pair of shoes. :D

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #377 of 1,866
If she asks you that, remind her she only has 2 feet and why she needs more than one pair of shoes.
biggrin.gif

well said!!!

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #378 of 1,866
  Great news.  Enjoy!  

This thread has cost me the same $$$ for the same set-up.  Now I just need to save enough $$$.  During that time maybe I can explain to my wife and partner why a man with only 2 ears who owns an HD-800S needs another pair of cans.

SR-L700 are great, congrats, I am still keeping them as a sidekick of my SR-009.

You have an absolute right to buy SR-L700. And do not be scary that "they" do not understand our hobbies:

- You can lend one pair of headphones to your wife... the better one of course... Is she willing to lend you her (best) boots or clothes?
- You can stack more headphones on your head. Can she stack more boots on her legs?
- You can change headphones during one listening session (very practical in hot summer). Does she carry spare boots in her handbag when you are out together?
... This all proves our integrity, practical nature and right to buy spare headphones.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #380 of 1,866

Thanks to all of you for some very clever and insightful observations and suggestions.  Im particular, the shoe analogy is a hoot.  Unfortunately my wife shops sales and buys expensive shoes and clothes at rock bottom dollar.  Can't say that I've ever seen many Stax products deeply discounted.  Most are hard to find used.

To be fair to the significant other, if I really want the gear she will have no objection to my buying it.  I'll just have to admit it's because I WANT the SR-L700s not NEED them.  I own a lot of things I simply wanted.  No real problem.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #381 of 1,866
I wish we got a direct L500 x L700 comparison. They sounded fairly close to me on most of the Stax amps, but it was in show condition, so would love to hear opinions from folks who got to listen to them at home 

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #382 of 1,866

​I did spend some time comparing the L500 and L700 in the store which was a good listening environment, quiet and with a great line-up of EStat Amps (although the blue Hawaii was not available that day). However now having spent more time with the L700, I will go back and compare with the L500 when I get a chance and let you know

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #386 of 1,866

​I did spend some time comparing the L500 and L700 in the store which was a good listening environment, quiet and with a great line-up of EStat Amps (although the blue Hawaii was not available that day). However now having spent more time with the L700, I will go back and compare with the L500 when I get a chance and let you know

Awesome! Looking forward to it :}

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #388 of 1,866
I do not listen to SR-L700 too often / I actually put them on sale locally as I prefer SR-009. This is my rough comparison:

Both are great headphones with lots of details but different tonality, soundstage etc.:

SR-L700
"Pleasing" tonality, perhaps more forgiving to not so stellar recordings. The bass can become excessive if paired with too bass-oriented chain.
Smaller and narrower sound stage.

SR-009
More neutral. Closer to reality.
More sparkle highs (this can be good or bad depending on your chain, recordings and preferences).
Much better sound stage - more 3D, more precise, deeper and wider.
More comfortable (this is my personal preference but I already heard the opposite opinion)

SR-009 is my long-term universal favourite but SR-L700 is good as well. I have never head SR-007 or other Stax headphones. I would be happy with SR-L700 but I bought 009 shortly after SR-L700. I would recommend anyone with enough funds to skip SR-L700 and buy SR-009 immediately.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #389 of 1,866
The one 007 / 009 requirement worth mentioning is a stellar amp.
If you have a budget Stax amp, then the L series will play much nicer with it and the 007/009 will be severely crippled.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #390 of 1,866
Thank you for the suggestions.

I have understood that the L-700 may have more bass than 009 (though less refined), maybe with my genres (electronic, dance, pop, rock) may suit better than 009.

I was thinking to upgrade my current L-300/SRM252S setup (the Stax basic one, anyway i'm very satisfied with it) with a L-700/353X or 009/353X, I think I'll evaluate L700 instead of 009, i understand that 009 requires a great audio chain and i can't afford it, the 353X maybe be too limitative for 009 (not to mention my very basic audio chain).

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back