The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #346 of 1,866
Hey Everyone!

I might be looking for a new pair of phones in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to consider a lot of options..
I've yet to hear a pair of electrostats, and since these newer Stax phones are within my price range, they could be interesting... 
I like a balanced, lively presentation without any shrillness. Are these phones capable to produce a convincing low-end?
My previous setup was a Lyr2 w/Telefunken E88cc + HE-560.

Thanks

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #347 of 1,866
The HE560 was really good :)
It's a difficult decision.
I did not hear any shrillness with the new series and dound them considerably more agreeable in the treble than the 009 but opinion seems to differ, so...
I'd take the Lambdas over the HE560 :D

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #348 of 1,866
does the L700 have that upper mid shout,like a freqency response bump around 1500hz

I heard all lambdas have this more or less,I reed on other forum that L700 doesnt have it anymore,so what is truth?

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #350 of 1,866
The energizers had a surprisingly small impact on the sound.
The soundstage was also similar across all three.
The main difference came down to better detail retrieval, the tiny nuances and overall clarity and how revealing it was.
The pads also made a difference :)

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #351 of 1,866
After reading this entire thread, it seems the L700 is a steal!

I just ordered one from Woo for $1399 including a free headphone stand.

Woo Hoo!

I will be a happy camper soon.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #352 of 1,866
  Eager to read if anyone does a detailed A-B sound comparison with specifics of the SR-L700 vs. Airbow SR-SC11, Stax SR-404 LE (LTD, Limited), Stax Lambda Nova Signature and Koss ESP-950.

bump; same post, same question.

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #353 of 1,866
Hello, looking for some advice on buying into the Stax system. I started out planning to buy an open back headphone to add for serious home bound listening and thinking 800S, Elear, LCD-X and then my paths crossed with the Stax range yesterday and I am sold as well as confused. For context I do not own a desktop headphone amp and do most of my listening on my Hugo/Dragonfly Red/Continental with Roxanne/846/Meze99. I listen to a broad variety of music (Beck, Massive Attack, Robin Schulz, Twenty One Pilots). No specific budget going in but $1650 is where I should limit this (as you can guess, trying hard not to think too much about the $$s else I would stay away)  

I tried out the SR009+SRM727II, L700+SRM727II, L500+SRM353X, L300+SRM252S and liked the big soundstage, open airy sound, beautiful mids and treble and acceptably punchy bass (although varied across the range and a function of recordings). I was playing FLACs off my phone via Hugo or Tidal/Spotify to try out a range of music. The experience as you can imagine was a considerable step-up from my usual warm and closed-tight listening setup. Moving from L300 to L700 felt like improvements in sound stage, clarity and some bass definition.

The confusion comes from trying to figure out at what cost to enter the Stax system. The SRS3100 and 5100 at US$800 and $1650 respectively seem like a good place to start. But I recognize that a big chunk of the entry cost is in fact the amp and moving from the L500 to the L700 is in fact as much about the cost of a matching amp (the SRM727II is more expensive than the L700 headphone).

So I come back here (as I always do) to seek counsel. To those with more experience and listening time (I spent an hour yesterday) some questions
1. what is the difference in SQ as we move up from L300 to L700 (I have set a boundary condition that excludes SR009 
frown.gif
​, why start at the top)? I am no basshead but like clean, well defined bass with some punch. 
2. Can I reasonably pair a L700 with the 353 or would that be sacrilegious?
3. What combination would be good balance between SQ and value on headphone+amp? I am thinking if starting with the 3100 set up, is there upside from L300 later upgrading to a more expensive amp or better to do L700+252 and later invest in the amp. Based on this thread so far, it appears the L500+252 might be a good starting point, a fair conclusion ?

Appreciate your patience and advice
atsmile.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #354 of 1,866
  Hello, looking for some advice on buying into the Stax system. I started out planning to buy an open back headphone to add for serious home bound listening and thinking 800S, Elear, LCD-X and then my paths crossed with the Stax range yesterday and I am sold as well as confused. For context I do not own a desktop headphone amp and do most of my listening on my Hugo/Dragonfly Red/Continental with Roxanne/846/Meze99. I listen to a broad variety of music (Beck, Massive Attack, Robin Schulz, Twenty One Pilots). No specific budget going in but $1650 is where I should limit this (as you can guess, trying hard not to think too much about the $$s else I would stay away)  

I tried out the SR009+SRM727II, L700+SRM727II, L500+SRM353X, L300+SRM252S and liked the big soundstage, open airy sound, beautiful mids and treble and acceptably punchy bass (although varied across the range and a function of recordings). I was playing FLACs off my phone via Hugo or Tidal/Spotify to try out a range of music. The experience as you can imagine was a considerable step-up from my usual warm and closed-tight listening setup. Moving from L300 to L700 felt like improvements in sound stage, clarity and some bass definition.

The confusion comes from trying to figure out at what cost to enter the Stax system. The SRS3100 and 5100 at US$800 and $1650 respectively seem like a good place to start. But I recognize that a big chunk of the entry cost is in fact the amp and moving from the L500 to the L700 is in fact as much about the cost of a matching amp (the SRM727II is more expensive than the L700 headphone).

So I come back here (as I always do) to seek counsel. To those with more experience and listening time (I spent an hour yesterday) some questions
1. what is the difference in SQ as we move up from L300 to L700 (I have set a boundary condition that excludes SR009 
frown.gif
​, why start at the top)? I am no basshead but like clean, well defined bass with some punch. 
2. Can I reasonably pair a L700 with the 353 or would that be sacrilegious?
3. What combination would be good balance between SQ and value on headphone+amp? I am thinking if starting with the 3100 set up, is there upside from L300 later upgrading to a more expensive amp or better to do L700+252 and later invest in the amp. Based on this thread so far, it appears the L500+252 might be a good starting point, a fair conclusion ?

Appreciate your patience and advice
atsmile.gif

Hey there,
I am currently in similar shoes [though I owned some pricier setups in the past] and the way I see it is:
1. L300 and L500 are similar in terms of design and SQ [most difference comes down to a better earpads, cable and construction], while the L700 uses a driver similar to the 009s. I find the 009s bass performance abysmal on most setups, so careful matching is advised. The L700 seems to do much better here and amp matching is less of a concern. The L300/L500 are no slouches though, IMO.
2. I don't see a reason why not. It is much less picky than the 007/009 and sounded very good to my ears with all Stax amps.
3. As it stands, I will probably invest into a 252S or 323S - L500 setup. The L300 is great but would require a pad change and at that point the L500 is a better investment, with better cable and construction. The L700 is also an option, though it is 2x as pricey and would be somewhat more limited by the budget amps [if not nearly as much as the 007/009]. I also did not think it was that much better than the L500, which I was completely content with :]

My 2 cents here 
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #355 of 1,866
If it was my money, I would invest in the L700, and get a second-hand Stax amp here in the For Sale section to save money there. My first choice would then be one of the Stax tube amps. I think a L700 plus Stax tube amp is the highest you can go, before jumping to the 007 or 009.

If you were to start with a L500 and 252 series amp, you would maybe later be inclined to upgrade both, meaning that you'd lose money on both of them while reselling. In that light, I think it's a better idea to get the best headphone you can afford right now, and the only worry about the amp from that point on. To save money, go second-hand for the amp. Stax amps are not that hard to find in good condition. A 353X, or 323, or 717 transistor amp would also be a solid choice, if you don't want to go for a tube amp. The 727II is to be avoided, unless modded. If the budget doesn't allow for a bigger, second-hand Stax amp, then still I would suggest to start with a L700 and (second-hand) 252, because it can save you money in the long run. Unfortunately, because the L700 is still new and because everyone seems to love it, the headphones only very rarely pop up second-hand.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #356 of 1,866
If you were to start with a L500 and 252 series amp, you would maybe later be inclined to upgrade both, meaning that you'd lose money on both of them while reselling. In that light, I think it's a better idea to get the best headphone you can afford right now, and the only worry about the amp from that point on. To save money, go second-hand for the amp. Stax amps are not that hard to find in good condition. A 353X, or 323, or 717 transistor amp would also be a solid choice, if you don't want to go for a tube amp. The 727II is to be avoided, unless modded. If the budget doesn't allow for a bigger, second-hand Stax amp, then still I would suggest to start with a L700 and (second-hand) 252, because it can save you money in the long run. Unfortunately, because the L700 is still new and because everyone seems to love it, the headphones only very rarely pop up second-hand.

I'm trying to decide which solid state amp to choose for L700. Would you recommend 353X over an unmodded 727II? Why would the cheaper 353x be more suitable?

I ordered L700 from Pricejapan in June, but I have given up on that order. Can somebody recommend a trustworthy store or proxy service with similar prices/fees suitable for shipping to EU that also can do invoice write-downs?
Perhaps someone from this list?:
http://buyfags.moe/Special_services

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #357 of 1,866
The 727 needs its feedback loop to be fixed in order to sound best. The 353X doesn't have this problem. You can search the web for '727 feedback mod' for more information. The older 717 also doesn't have this problem and sounds very good.

I can't help you with the PriceJapan question. I thought their problems were over.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #358 of 1,866
The 727 needs its feedback loop to be fixed in order to sound best. The 353X doesn't have this problem. You can search the web for '727 feedback mod' for more information. The older 717 also doesn't have this problem and sounds very good.

I can't help you with the PriceJapan question. I thought their problems were over.

So the 353x would be the recommended amp, in the current lineup, for L700 if you want solid state, have limited funds and don't have the technical knowledge for DIY? What would be the largest shortcomings with a L700/353x combo?

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #359 of 1,866
So the 353x would be the recommended amp, in the current lineup, for L700 if you want solid state, have limited funds and don't have the technical knowledge for DIY?

Yes

What would be the largest shortcomings with a L700/353x combo?

I haven't heard this combo, but in general, with more powerful amps comes better dynamics, bass, and an overall tighter, more controlled sound. With the Stax tube amps you get some extra midrange magic.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #360 of 1,866
1. L300 and L500 are similar in terms of design and SQ [most difference comes down to a better earpads, cable and construction], while the L700 uses a driver similar to the 009s. I find the 009s bass performance abysmal on most setups, so careful matching is advised. The L700 seems to do much better here and amp matching is less of a concern. The L300/L500 are no slouches though, IMO.
2. I don't see a reason why not. It is much less picky than the 007/009 and sounded very good to my ears with all Stax amps.
3. As it stands, I will probably invest into a 252S or 323S - L500 setup. The L300 is great but would require a pad change and at that point the L500 is a better investment, with better cable and construction. The L700 is also an option, though it is 2x as pricey and would be somewhat more limited by the budget amps [if not nearly as much as the 007/009]. I also did not think it was that much better than the L500, which I was completely content with :]

Thank you @conquerator2, very helpful and appreciated. L500 or L700 with 252S or 323S sound like good pairs to audition. I will try them with both amps to see if I notice significant difference to my ears and what I can live with :) I really would like to go L700+323S as entry Stax but we are likely talking $2100+ and hence Michgelsen's suggestion of a second-hand amp is a wise one.

If it was my money, I would invest in the L700, and get a second-hand Stax amp here in the For Sale section to save money there. My first choice would then be one of the Stax tube amps. I think a L700 plus Stax tube amp is the highest you can go, before jumping to the 007 or 009.

Michgelsen, sound advice and appreciated! I hadn't thought of second-hand amp, let me scan the for-sale forums. 323S over 353X should save me ~$200 (on sale in most places) if memory serves me right for giving up balanced inputs (I do not have a balanced out source, no loss for now). The cheapest tube amp from Stax I know is the 006ts, will try out but likely the price will be a barrier. Of course if the 252 satisfies me for now, I will be a happy man. Well to be fair, I will be happy with any of the above combos, the sound of the Stax has me hooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back