The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #226 of 1,866
Consider:

KGST from Mjolnir Audio/Spritzer $3000
retail US cost for STAX L700 $1400,                 Total Cost: $4400

KGSSHV Carbon from Mjolnir Audio  $4600
STAX 009 in US  $4450                                     Total Cost  $9050

Double the cost for what I believe is the ultimate STAX rig (minus DAC of course) for what many believe is 5-10% improvement technically (bass, soundstage, imaging/air/instrument separation and detail) but maybe even less subjective listening pleasure difference because tone of the L700 is optimal.

If you are like me (and by that, I mean most of those browsing Summit-fi), difference in price is secondary. Even subtle differences in sound quality and slight relative weaknesses will gnaw at you once you have heard better. If the cost of upgrading is truly out of your league then you find a way to make peace with your system. But if it is doable you will rack yourself until you find a way...

And that, my friend, is how you know you are an audiophile. :)  Cheers to the impossible quest!

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #227 of 1,866

If you are like me (and by that, I mean most of those browsing Summit-fi), difference in price is secondary. Even subtle differences in sound quality and slight relative weaknesses will gnaw at you once you have heard better. If the cost of upgrading is truly out of your league then you find a way to make peace with your system. But if it is doable you will rack yourself until you find a way...

And that, my friend, is how you know you are an audiophile. :)  Cheers to the impossible quest!

You've described the struggle accurately and beautifully!

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #228 of 1,866
since my 007A are not behaving themselves I will be picking up the L700 in the near future. geoff's KGST should make these guys sound amazing so I'm looking forward to the combo...

have to stop buying headphones so I can start saving for my tesla model 3 :scream:

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #230 of 1,866
I agree with you Dr. T  ...but, I will bet dollars to doughnuts, as they used to say in the Great Depression, that STAX will do a significant revision of the 009 to maintain its flagship status for several reasons:
1. To increase the separation between it and the L700
2. To fend off competition from the likes of Mr. Speakers and Hifiman with their new electrostatics
   3. to slightly tame the treble
4. and HOPEFULLY to cure the channel imbalance bugaboo

I don't want to buy the 009 and then be disappointed by a revision.  Been there done that with Audeze.
While I can afford the 009, right now I can't afford to buy a Carbon and 009 together. I have a 323S, that while not optimal for the L700 like a KGST would be, it is a perfectly adequate interim solution.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #231 of 1,866
  Here is the post I referred to above in post #18.  I have no doubt this is accurate:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785949/the-stax-sr-l500-and-sr-l700-impressions-thread/15

Consider:

KGST from Mjolnir Audio/Spritzer $3000
retail US cost for STAX L700 $1400,                 Total Cost: $4400

KGSSHV Carbon from Mjolnir Audio  $4600
STAX 009 in US  $4450                                     Total Cost  $9050

Double the cost for what I believe is the ultimate STAX rig (minus DAC of course) for what many believe is 5-10% improvement technically (bass, soundstage, imaging/air/instrument separation and detail) but maybe even less subjective listening pleasure difference because tone of the L700 is optimal.

Price of a pair of new SR-009 if bought in Japan directly: US $ 2500

You could fly there to buy it and it still will probably cost you less. I asked my friend to get it for me while he was traveling in Japan. But for the 007 which I once owned many years ago, this time around I will fly to Tokyo to get it. Around $1400 for a new pair of 007A, best price I found.

Carbon could be built with a lot less if you have the know how. The initial tools will cost a lot. But after that it's all good from then on, assuming your amp don't blow up. 

Heard the L-500 and the L-700. Both do not have the refinement that the Omegas (007 and 009) possess. I guess the L-700 would work well as a starter. But one has to consider what a good value the 007 is from Japan.

Don't have money for Stax amp? Try to build one yourself.
Don't know? Try to learn. Go to the Stax forum and learn.
Can't buy the boards? No group buy? Dr. Kevin Gilmore has been too kind and his design files are all there if you kindly seek his advice. Boards can be made from PCB makers, you can find it online.
Parts for the amp? Try Mouser, Digikey, etc.
Don't have BOM list? Get PCB makers to make the boards for you, then try to study the board and list the parts out, one by one. 
Can't find Stax jacks? You can get it on eBay from Justin. If not, get a 3D printer, design it in Solidworks, convert it into 3D file, and 3D print the jacks yourself. That's what I am gonna do.

It took me years to learn. I am still just a novice. Pursuing Stax as a headphone/close-to-endgame setup could be rather rewarding. Admittedly it's not for everyone but if you have the potential and the determination go for it.

Some pics of the rework I had to do on my humble HV after the PS blew. Now it will blow no more. Heat had been an issue for me since it's very hot in Singapore, but now it's all good after I changed some stuff. Next amp to come would be Carbon. Then who knows, SRX Plus, Circlotron, Megatron, etc. It's fun building. I just don't have the money to buy all the parts.

Used to be 900V, but now 800V.

Alright, one should really be careful messing with all these high voltages. One should be using proper workplace instead of doing it like me.
Current limiter -> Variac -> Transformer -> PS
PS output (+, -) connected directly to multimeter. Make sure you use a proper multimeter that can withstand 1kV and above without blowing up. Mine would just beep and give warning if the DC goes above 1kV.

Useful current limiting device using a halogen bulb in series.

Ignore the messy wiring and the multimeter down there. One should have tidier wiring.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #232 of 1,866
fwiw, buying a stax amp from people like birgir or Geoff won't cost you that much more than building one yourself after the cost of materials, tools, etc. are taken into consideration. much of the price difference between building it yourself and getting one from mjolnir audio or Geoff is their casework. good casework is expensive.

I agree that learning to build stuff is a great exercise and a fun thing to do. i highly recommend it as well if people are interested in learning. but in the case of stax amps, it isn't all about the price, as they're pricey to begin with simply because of all the parts...but also the large voltages involved make it a little more difficult for first-time builders.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #233 of 1,866
Has anyone with a large-sized head (i.e. US hat size 8 or higher) tried either the L500 or L700? How is the fit? I thought I head read the new 10-position Lambda headband is not so good for big heads.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #234 of 1,866
  Price of a pair of new SR-009 if bought in Japan directly: US $ 2500

You could fly there to buy it and it still will probably cost you less. I asked my friend to get it for me while he was traveling in Japan. But for the 007 which I once owned many years ago, this time around I will fly to Tokyo to get it. Around $1400 for a new pair of 007A, best price I found.

Been to Japan a couple of times and don't remember prices being that good. Where?

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #235 of 1,866

Been to Japan a couple of times and don't remember prices being that good. Where?

E-Earphone. 007A is not in stock now but you can just write to them or call them to get one in stock before you go there to pick it up. Many thanks to Arnaud and Currawong and a few others who recommended E-Earphone to me.

I got good deal for the 009 as I reserved the last unit in store in January. It was said that the boss called in to the Akihabara branch to give me an even sweeter deal. 
cool.gif

So yeah, probably not everyone will get that good of a price, but if you can speak Japanese you can always negotiate for a bit. Since I have gotten the 009 from them, they surely will be nice enough to sell me the 007 at a good price. 
biggrin.gif

I should revise my point by saying that, if you can buy it in Japan and bring it to your country without getting taxed, you will save a lot.

Now I just have to save up for the 007, and get the Shangrila if it's priced around or less than the 009. I heard from a Stax sales guy (non Japanese) that they are working on the successor. I guess it'll still be years before it comes out.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #237 of 1,866
  Now I just have to save up for the 007, and get the Shangrila if it's priced around or less than the 009. I heard from a Stax sales guy (non Japanese) that they are working on the successor. I guess it'll still be years before it comes out.

I think I read somewhere that the Shangri-la is going to be around $10K USD, which definitely makes it a lot more expensive that the SR-009 (even at normal price). Honestly, with a good enough amp to really power the SR-009, I'm not sure how much better the Shangri-la will be compared to the SR-009 (yes, I've heard both).

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #238 of 1,866

I think I read somewhere that the Shangri-la is going to be around $10K USD, which definitely makes it a lot more expensive that the SR-009 (even at normal price). Honestly, with a good enough amp to really power the SR-009, I'm not sure how much better the Shangri-la will be compared to the SR-009 (yes, I've heard both).

It was noisy at Canjam so I couldn't properly audition the Shangrila. But all I can say is, their amp was a bit underwhelming, the tubes were leaky and hissed a lot.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #239 of 1,866
I totally agree, Koonhua90.  I doubt that Hifiman will exceed the 009 aural experience by a significant amount, never mind justifying significantly increased cost!
Furthermore, I am guessing the 009 might get revised in the next 1-2 years.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #240 of 1,866
I totally agree, Koonhua90.  I doubt that Hifiman will exceed the 009 aural experience by a significant amount, never mind justifying significantly increased cost!
Furthermore, I am guessing the 009 might get revised in the next 1-2 years.

Heheh! I was a bit puzzled by your post. Then I realised you are actually referring to Chowmein's comments. :)

Well, I think it's a matter of conjecture at this stage: the price and how the Shangrila will compare with the 009. Thus far we have all heard only the prototype and even then in less than ideal show conditions. Finally off the Hifiman amp which seems to be still a WIP. The source also tends to be the Hifiman HM901S & its dock.

Much as I do love my Stax cans collection, I think it is still too early to tell how the Shangrila will pan out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back