The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #1,681 of 1,866
Am enjoying the SR-L500 Mk.2 with a Mjolnir SRD-7 and trusty workhouse Wadia 151PowerDAC mini integrated.

The last set of Stax I owned were the SR-507, driven by the SRM-1 Mk.2 (with upgraded caps and resistors), then the KGSS DX.

To the best of my recollection, the SR-507 always seemed a bit harsh to me, even with the SRM-1 Mk.2, and underwhelming with the KGSS DX. The SR-L500 Mk.2 don't convey that degree of harshness and sound more even-handed with respect to frequency, tonality and dynamics.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #1,682 of 1,866
Question(s):
Will/should the SR-L500 Mk.2 sound better with the SRM-353X than with the Mjolnir SRD-7 eStat Transformer/Wadia 151 (25wpc/8ohms) combination I am currently running?

Frankly, the Ananda, driven directly from the Wadia, sound better--in many respects--than the L500 Mk.2 driven by the Wadia/Mjolnir combination. I would be willing to pick up the 353X if it would significantly improve the performance of the L500 Mk.2, i.e. bring out their full(er) potential.

I have other, more powerful, integrated amplifiers on hand (e.g. Wyred4Sound mINT (100wpc) , bel canto e.One C5i (60wpc), Dussun T6 (100wpc)) to pair with the Mjolnir SRD-7, too, if that might further improve things. Or is the SRD-7 going to be the de facto limiting factor, regardless of amplifier?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #1,683 of 1,866
(a)
The Mjolnir SRD-7/Wyred4Sound mINT (100wpc) combo sounds better: more detailed, dynamic and transparent. But different onboard DAC (W4S v. Wadia) and jumper wire (Furutech v. Harmonic Tech) were used, too.

Might pick up the 353X for comparison.

. . . later . . .

(b)
The Mjolnir SRD-7/bel canto e.One c5i (60wpc, using TDK/Furutech jumpers) combo sounds even better: even more detailed, dynamic, transparent and natural. Am running line in to the bel canto from the Topping D50s. Plan to go direct to the c5i's onboard DAC later--Deo volente, which should be a further improvement (and simplification).

The SR-L500 Mk.2 are sensitive to any upstream changes, which has really helped me optimize the current set-up.

Am actually quite happy with this arrangement, and may forego the 353X for the time-being. The SR-L700 Mk.2 might be the next stage of development.

. . . later . . .

(c)
Removed the Topping D50s and am now running direct via USB In on the bel canto. The best sound yet, and a great synergy/pairing.

Just put in a bid on eBay for the SR-L700 Mk.2

Will be putting my other headphones, except for the HiFiMan Ananda, up for sale (Focal Elear and HE6se v.2). Already got rid of the Clear MG a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,686 of 1,866
@pataburd

You should try to hunt down the older lambdas. Like the 404, LNS signature, 1980s lambda, Sigma, . Much better sound compare to the newer versions. I like the older ones more than 009 and all these new phones. Crazy huh.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,690 of 1,866
Swapped amps to the Dussun T6 (100wpc/8ohms). Thicker, more punchy/authoritative sound while maintaining a high level of detail throughout. Volume at about 2.5 out of 10 on the dial.

Surprisingly good. But will this be enough to drive the SR-007 Mk.1?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,691 of 1,866
Swapped amps to the Dussun T6 (100wpc/8ohms). Thicker, more punchy/authoritative sound while maintaining a high level of detail throughout. Volume at about 2.5 out of 10 on the dial.

Surprisingly good. But will this be enough to drive the SR-007 Mk.1?
Well, you can certainly try that combo, and see how it sounds to you. If you root around in the archives, you might find some previous discussions on this subject. (I didn't look.)

But I find it rather compelling that Stax last introduced a traditional e-stat transformer in 1986, which is 37 years ago. Since that time, they've introduced 25 variants of power amplifiers, per the Wikipedia listings. And almost all of the e-stat drivers from non-Stax entities have also been actual amplifiers.

To me that strongly suggests that the majority of e-stat designers felt that sound quality of the transformers was topped out, and holding back the performance of the earspeakers. And that happened a long time before the first SR-007 was introduced, with its reputation for being hard to drive. (At least, that's my impression. I have not owned one.)

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #1,692 of 1,866
Well, you can certainly try that combo, and see how it sounds to you. If you root around in the archives, you might find some previous discussions on this subject. (I didn't look.)

But I find it rather compelling that Stax last introduced a traditional e-stat transformer in 1986, which is 37 years ago. Since that time, they've introduced 25 variants of power amplifiers, per the Wikipedia listings. And almost all of the e-stat drivers from non-Stax entities have also been actual amplifiers.

To me that strongly suggests that the majority of e-stat designers felt that sound quality of the transformers was topped out, and holding back the performance of the earspeakers. And that happened a long time before the first SR-007 was introduced, with its reputation for being hard to drive. (At least, that's my impression. I have not owned one.)
One of the things I like about my SRD-7 is the ability to use it with any amp I want. I like having that choice. I wish it was newer, though, so I could use it with pro-bias head phones. Perhaps Mjolnir energizer is in my future.

@pataburd, I use a Schiit Aegir (20W, class A) with my SR Lambdas and it sounds fine to me. Of course, these are my first electrostatics so I have no basis for comparison yet.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #1,695 of 1,866
One of the things I like about my SRD-7 is the ability to use it with any amp I want. I like having that choice. I wish it was newer, though, so I could use it with pro-bias head phones. Perhaps Mjolnir energizer is in my future.

@pataburd, I use a Schiit Aegir (20W, class A) with my SR Lambdas and it sounds fine to me. Of course, these are my first electrostatics so I have no basis for comparison yet.
Same here.

The SR-L500 Mk.2 has sounded different and enjoyable with each of the (integrated) amplifiers I have tried so far: Wadia 151 (25W/Class D), W4S mINT (100W/D), bel canto c5i (60W/D), Dussun T6 (100W/Class A). (My favorite by a sizeable margin is the (30 lb.) Dussun T6.)

Maybe I'll just move on up the SR-L700 Mk.2 and call it a day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back