The Stax SR-507 Thread
Jul 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #167 of 361
Hi.  Back in November, I got a SRM-T1 and Lambda Signature.  I really enjoyed them but found them mostly good for chamber music and female vocals.  I think I called them "buttery smooth".  A little etched in upper mids(?) and not great in the bass so I got the SR-507.  I found them better overall but in a sense less musical.  Kind of more an audiophile headphone and slightly less engaging for all that it did "better".

Then I sold that all and went down a different route..

But I'm back and now have an SR-404LE and SRM-006t.  Nice but a little "in my head" as far as soundstaging goes.  I'm kind of missing that out of the aether experience that I so love about Stax and am wondering if you think that getting the SR-507 would be an advisable change.

I will get the 007s one day but probably a year down the road.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #168 of 361
Quote:
Different flavours. LNS is damn neutral and is a improved low-bias Lambda. 207 is a bit brighter sounding than the 202 (typical 2/3/4/507 brightness) but has similar traits to that of the 202. 202 is really balanced sounding and fairly neutral. So no recessed treble/mids, not very bright sounding, not very bassy it is pretty close to middle. Lambda Pro is a bit laid back sounding with good detail retrieval and probably the most dynamic sounding stat in the lambda family, the bass is very close to that of a dynamic transducer. The Lambda Pro + SRM-1 MK2 is a wonderful sounding bliss combo, more so than the T1S pairing I've tried. The Lambda Pro was originally marketed with the SRM-1 MK2 or the SRD-7SB MK II energizer. I haven't heard the LP-Sig but some prefer it to the LNS, some say it is more detailed, some say it is more coloured sounding compared to the neutralness of the LNS and it is not very bassy either.

If you have the budget for a good amp and the 007 Mk1's, then just go for that. Or you can collect Stax like me. 
wink.gif

Thanks for the advice; I'm on the hunt for a pair of 007 Mk1s. I plan to try and "get-by" with the SRM-T1s for now, then work on getting a Woo Wee and pair that with my Sansui Q-3535 (stereo 35 watts, using EL34s). I tried the Sansui with my SRD-7/SB the other night with the SRX-Mk3 and was blown-away at how much better it sounded as compared to the SRM-T1s. I am hoping for a similar result with the Woo Wee ( maybe look for a SRD-7B Mk II) and the 007s Mk1s. If that doesn't work out then..... well you know.. whatever it will be, will just require more money eh!?

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #169 of 361
Quote:
Thanks for the advice; I'm on the hunt for a pair of 007 Mk1s. I plan to try and "get-by" with the SRM-T1s for now, then work on getting a Woo Wee and pair that with my Sansui Q-3535 (stereo 35 watts, using EL34s). I tried the Sansui with my SRD-7/SB the other night with the SRX-Mk3 and was blown-away at how much better it sounded as compared to the SRM-T1s. I am hoping for a similar result with the Woo Wee ( maybe look for a SRD-7B Mk II) and the 007s Mk1s. If that doesn't work out then..... well you know.. whatever it will be, will just require more money eh!?

Np's. For me personally, I'd like to give everything a go at first, then start from a middle point and make my way up to the top as it is more exciting this way and you get to be familiar with more products too. I'm very surprised with the SRM-T1's comment sounding less stellar than the SRD-7SB energizer amplification through that Sansui, but I do very agree with you with something similar I've experienced when driving earspeakers off my SRD-7SB MK2 off good integrated amp's, plenty of power, authority and body to the music but alas, bit lacking in micro detail of the recording. Would be interested in how you find the Wee, some folks here don't like it here, but times have changed, maybe Woo have updated there Wee internals over the years.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #170 of 361
Well I missed out on the 007s, so I guess I'll have to keep shopping around. It sounds like wise advice to try a few things before I jump up too high in the line eh? I did notice a slight lack of detail on the Sansui as compared to the SRM-T1s, but I assumed that was related to the fact I still need to rebuild the amp. Maybe I need to try a few more Stax amps or dedicated earspeaker amps before I jump to the Wee? How does the GES rate as compared to the upper line of Woo stuff or Stax amps? I liked the idea of an amp/energizer box as I could also use speakers with it, but maybe I should focus on the headphone rig and keep the speakers seperate eh? At any rate, I'll keep looking, reading and listening. Head-Fi is really a great forum; there are some very helpful and very knowledgeable folks in here!

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #171 of 361
Haven't heard the WES or GES, but I'm guessing a GES shouldn't be that far off from a WES.

Well the thing is with energizer's is that, although convenient, point of diminishing returns faster compared to when you move up the chain of dedicated amplification. No matter how well an energizer is designed or quality of components used, even when backed up by high-end amplification it will still lack in major areas (little amounts) compared to a dedicated high end electrostatic amplifier. 

From my own personal experience with both energizers and various aftermarket and Stax amp's I've tried is that, energizers provide good headroom, provides plenty of body to sound (not sounding thin), delivers plenty of power and dynamics but it will lack in micro detailing i.e. lack of extra extension on a instrument piece in a classical recording. etc. But hey you pay for what you get.

If you have anymore questions feel free to post here as well (official Stax thread):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/

This is where most of the Stax experts (kevin gilmore, spritzer, arnaud etc) and other experienced user's reside in. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #172 of 361
Just picked up an SR-507 and SRM-600Ltd. from a local seller.  This is my first foray into STAX and electrostatic headphones so I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up against my other headphones!  I'm letting them play for an hour or so just to make sure everything is warmed up but I do serious listening. 

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jul 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #173 of 361
Quote:
Just picked up an SR-507 and SRM-600Ltd. from a local seller.  This is my first foray into STAX and electrostatic headphones so I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up against my other headphones!  I'm letting them play for an hour or so just to make sure everything is warmed up but I do serious listening. 

If you have the HD650's and/or LCD2's, can you do a comparison between those versus the 507's? I'm new to electrostats so I just want to see how Stax's lower priced headphones compare towards their dynamic/ortho counterparts in terms of price. May consider going towards electrostats in the near future.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #174 of 361
Quote:
If you have the HD650's and/or LCD2's, can you do a comparison between those versus the 507's? I'm new to electrostats so I just want to see how Stax's lower priced headphones compare towards their dynamic/ortho counterparts in terms of price. May consider going towards electrostats in the near future.

I'll take the 507 over the HD650 and LCD-2 any day of the week.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #176 of 361
Quote:
Interesting. What amp and dac do you use? Also, any thoughts on the 407's compared to those two, as well as the 507's?

I do not own the 407s, so I cannot really comment but I know a few members here can post about that topic. My dac is Mytek and amp 727ii. Perhaps the amp is what makes it really good but I have listened through an energizer (SRD-7 mkii) and it sounds very dynamic also, but less control.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #177 of 361
Quote:

I've owned the HD600 twice and HD650 once but never owned an Audeze headphone although I have demoed them on several occasions.  I would say the 507 wins for most everything except bass impact/body and depending on the genre of music this will be more or less important.  My T50RP is more engaging with electronic/rap (bass heavy) music than with the 507.  

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #178 of 361
I still have the HD650 and for me, the SR507 have way more sub bass, impact and bass definition than the HD650. Yeah, the Senn is warm but it's bass is lacking. On the contrary the SR507 has the better bass I've ever heard. I also found out that it's seriously recording dépendent, some are seriously lacking.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #179 of 361
Although the HD650 ain't a bad headphone itself, still one of the very best dynamic headphones within it's price/class category and need's a good amp to shine, I'd still take a HD600 over it any day of the week though. I'd take my 30 + year old SR-5 over any LCD2's, Beyer, and other low classes headphones anyday of the year. But my modded LCD2 rev.1's have a special place in my heart for what it does.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #180 of 361
I've been pleasantly surprised with the quantity of Bass on these.  I went into thinking that most STAX are fast and detailed but lacking punch, but thankfully I've found bass not to be problem with the 507.  A very clean and neutral sound much like my K240DF but with a black background, higher resolution and more punch.  I'd still say the HD600 would have a more bottom heavy sound but that's just the nature of those headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back