The sound of my SR325 is not bright enough!
Oct 22, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #16 of 20
It's quite likely that my hearing has also tamed over time.  I'm also using better headphone amps now so that helps as well.  It would be neat to hear a black 325 again.  Might make me regret not having bought one way back when.

I do experiment with EQ with the 325is.  I like doing a shelf EQ at about 2200 Hz that lowers the upper mids and treble by 1 dB or 2 dB or whatever I feel like.  See my sig for an example.  Takes away some of the brightness and can give a more natural tone color for some recordings.  Part of the fun with the Grados is experimenting with them.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
Between the RS1i and the 325is, I preferred the 325 for its more "awake" nature.  The RS1i were more balanced, but balance is for sissies!
wink.gif

yeah you bet they sound awake... awake like 4 A.M. with a snowy nose... I had to sell mine eventually because they started hurting my ears due to the excessive brightness (to my ears). I much preferred the HD 600 to them all around (325i were first hifi phone, HD 600 were second), but I do think there are some genres the 325i do exceptionally well, like classic rock, grunge, and acoustic stuff. But damn, were they ever uncomfortable to me.

If the 325 are anything like the 325i... you might wanna go get an ear cleaning if they are not bright enough :p  
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
If the 325 are anything like the 325i... you might wanna go get an ear cleaning if they are not bright enough :p  
wink.gif

Haha..... That comment only applies to the ones with HP1000 drivers.
Can you imagine placing a mail order for one of these early Grado SR series phones( 100,200,300, 325)? You wouldn't know what you're getting at all. In true Grado fashion it is NTSC- never twice the same can (or cable, take your pick).
Going back to the latest 325is, I think Ham Sanwich got the right idea about the EQ. If one can somehow tame the upper mid and treble and retain the richness of these phones, they can be very enjoyable. Otherwise it is just hit and miss depends on the music.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #20 of 20

aimlink said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Something I don't get either.A lot of people have strong opinions about them. I might not like the sound of a lot of audio gear but I don't "hate" any of them. At the end of the day headphones are only tools for us to listen to music For some reason quite a few people hate them with a passion. GS1000 gets even more over the top hate posts, as if John Grado committed a crime in selling them. Well, I guess audiofiles are passionate.:)
By the way, RS-2 gets my vote as one of the least mentioned Grado ever.

Funnily, I ended up owning both controversial models and enjoyed my time with them. However, they've been in hibernation for too long since discovering that my love really leans towards the Sennheiser sound.

I found the SR325is to be fantastic with some genre's and CD's, i.e., New Age and Jazz. The RS2i's are more all-rounders... very comfy too.

Thanks for your analysis! It's very detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back