The Sopranos Ending
Jun 11, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #16 of 91
I pretty much agree with mbriant. I like the fact that we are forced to feel the paranoia a mob boss must feel every day. While I didn't expect this type of ending, I can't see any alternatives that would be more satisfying. Apparently we are left to feel that things carry on much the same way as they have- Tony is the boss, people die and are replaced by the ranks, trust issues, the constant tension of the fbi investigation, the juggling of family and his work. At the same time we are given some degree of closure on many other fronts, albeit a somewhat tenuous closure.

I think the ending leaves us feeling as Tony feels every day of his life, which, while unexpected, makes a lot of sense and is quite satisfying. I really hope they skip the movie idea and leave things as is.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the final episode was great. Throughout the entire series the writers have kept us off balance, always trying to second guess where a seemingly important subplot was going, only to often have it turn out to be nothing at all .... like this season's brief focus on Tony's gambling losses. It had me thinking that that the gambling debts were going to somehow lead to Tony's demise, when suddenly on a dime, it turned out to be a complete non-issue. I think in this final episode, the writers had us all thinking something bad was going to happen and scrambling to guess what it was going to be ... especially in the last few minutes of the show when they were in the restaurant. They gave us a small taste of the paranoia most of these mobsters must live with every day. They played us with something similar to the old practical joke revenge trick where you assure the other person you aren't going to do anything to them, which makes them crazy trying to figure out what you're going to do to them.

It was more or less a happy ending ... something I didn't expect. The universally hated Phil got his, and we got to experience one more final gory shock scene. In the end, Tony's family, as well as Paulie and Silvio are still alive ... leaving the possibility of a future movie. A happy ending IMO. Would any of the other options have been better? Tony dies, everyone dies, Tony turns state witness, Tony retires ... any of those, while technically providing closure, no matter how they did it, would have been too ordinary IMO. I think they did a great job.

Sorry man, you're in the minority here. Seems the consensus worldwide is "We wuz robbed"!

It just seems like a cop-out to me, as someone else stated, a setup for a future movie? I feel like I deserve better than this after 8 loyal years (some of those years kinda slow).

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #19 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel like I deserve better than this after 8 loyal years (some of those years kinda slow).

I could never have imagined a more perfect ending. This is why David Chase makes the big bucks.

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #20 of 91
I'm quoting this from another forum I hang out on (http://taperssection.com/index.php/t...592.165.html):

"a few episodes back when he was with bobby on the lake, bobby was speculating that when you get shot, you see nothing and hear nothing. the final scene was through tony's eyes and the last thing he saw was meadow coming through the door. the sudden black was him getting shot by the guy who went into the bathroom."

Remember the guy behind AJ tapping on the table and glancing at Tony repeatedly? Then he went over to the bathroom as Meadow entered the diner. How about that expression on Meadow's face?

Definitely didn't end on a good note for Tony and family.

Edit: Last I read...NO MOVIE.

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quoting this from another forum I hang out on (http://taperssection.com/index.php/t...592.165.html):

"a few episodes back when he was with bobby on the lake, bobby was speculating that when you get shot, you see nothing and hear nothing. the final scene was through tony's eyes and the last thing he saw was meadow coming through the door. the sudden black was him getting shot by the guy who went into the bathroom."

Remember the guy behind AJ tapping on the table and glancing at Tony repeatedly? Then he went over to the bathroom as Meadow entered the diner. How about that expression on Meadow's face?

I'll have to watch the ending again. If there is indeed a "look" on Meadows face, then maybe he was shot. Either conclusion, I still like the ending.

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #22 of 91
Oh man, I'm gonna have to double check the ending as well. If that's the case, then good grief, I like it more than before. =T

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 91
'The Sopranos' is a HUUUUGE moneymaking enterprise, that employs many. Thus, the ending did not surprise me in the least. They left many possibilities 'open'. A movie, perhaps another future season, a television series, etc. It's a money world!

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #24 of 91
Quote:

Sorry man, you're in the minority here. Seems the consensus worldwide is "We wuz robbed"!

I don't know about that. If you take out those in this thread who simply don't or haven't recently liked the series , it seems the majority did like the ending. I've read 4 different reviews in today's papers and on the net, and they all seemed to like it....or at least didn't hate it. In fact, one of them mentioned the very same points as I did.

If there could have been a better ending that would do justice to the series, I'd be interested in hearing what it would be.

MSNBC pretty much sums up what we're seeing in this thead:

Quote:

And the curtain fell: This was not, it's safe to say, the way many viewers expected Tony Soprano to end his series. He didn't die, nor was his nefarious past fully exposed to Carmela or his kids. He didn't lose someone precious to him (except for last week's shootings). He didn't go out feeding his precious ducks, or make up with Dr. Melfi. Instead he went out eating an onion ring, listening to Journey, yet still in one of the series' most tension-filled scenes, as viewers' own imaginations saw assassins at every diner table. When the screen faded to black abruptly, many viewers wanted to believe that was Tony somehow being whacked -- others felt ripped off, still others felt the unanswered questions were just fine by them. In death, "The Sopranos" raised just as many questions as in life.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #25 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MSNBC pretty much sums up what we're seeing in this thead

Indeed. The diner scene left a lot of fans wondering what may happen next, its all about how we read into it. Some believe he got whacked, while others believe that he will forever look over his shoulder (notice how he looked up at the door everytime it opened). Meadow's expression on her face could very well have been her frustration over parking and running late. Who knows. The guy who was acting very antsy at the front of the diner definitely made me feel like he was there to whack out the entire family and was probably wondering where Meadow was....at least that's my take on it.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 91
I liked the ending. Gives you something to think about.
Teases with the idea that a finale should give you resolution.

Anyway did anyone watch the show thats supposed to replace the sopranos
"john from cincinnati" What was that about??
blink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

Anyway did anyone watch the show thats supposed to replace the sopranos
"john from cincinnati" What was that about??

I did. When I first heard HBO's new series was going to be about a family of professional surfers I was certain I wasn't going to like it, but as the first episode progressed, and the weirdness started happening, it definitely held my attention. How long it'll hold my attention remains to be seen, but so far it's supernatural quirkiness and oddball characters has me intrigued.

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's actually not a bad theory.

I think that explains it better. =T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back