The Sopranos Ending
Jun 11, 2007 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

DLeeWebb

Headphoneus Supremus
So what did you think? Open ended or what?
blink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 91
I laughed, cuase they did so many things that made you think somethind would happen.

Meadow trying to park, running across the street, the guy sitting at the bar.

Loved the cat and Paulie.

That guy getting his head run over.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 91
the last few seasons all sucked, so this one doesn't suprise me at all.

when did the sopranos (try to) turn into an arthouse television show?
answer: sometime after season 2...

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what to think yet. All I know is that something is wrong here...

That about says it for me as well. I don't know whether to be enraged with disappointment, or to think that there was something deeper that I didn't get.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 91
I just wrote about this on another site.

I believe they go into protective custody leaving open the possibility of a film. It also neatly ties up many problems, let's Tony get out of what he hated most though deceivingly craved. It let's him have a normal life with his family. His son beats his depression, his daughter is safe from the mayhem and he and his wife can mend their marriage.

Best is that he doesn't give up any of his friends by going into PC, it will be based on the terrorists he uncovered.

EDIT: Whoa, I just realized that you folks are talking about the actual ending, I thought it was airing tomorrow! Heh, glad I didn't read the thread else I may have read through some spoilers.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 91
What? That was a mess. I am SO disappointed.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 91
What?

Are we supposed to infer that Meadow's face is the last thing he saw before being hit? There was no gunshot, nothing.

What a cop out. I guess they could not decide on an ending so they just didn't end it.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 91
man i hate that kid AJ. I was kinda hoping he'd get killed or something in retaliation, the coming attraction almost seemed that way.

I think this show doesn't deserve the hype. It's a dissappoint 90% of the time. the second to last show was pretty decent, but when I think about it, alot of the suspense and fancy tangents the show takes has really nothing to with a plot, or add to what's going on. It leaves enough room for people to gossip about it, but I think all the fancy spasms the show took were just for lack of anything else.

For the whole showdown to happen over some guy that dissed meadow in a resteraunt, and to have a showdown with the guy phil, who was mob boss for all of 3 episodes, just seems like really corny mellow drama, used to just end the show.

The show was fun to watch I guess, but nothing great, thats my take.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 91
The ending made me want to
boese103.gif

Not only was it ridiculously ambiguous, but I could have done without the political spiel, too.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 91
I thought the final episode was great. Throughout the entire series the writers have kept us off balance, always trying to second guess where a seemingly important subplot was going, only to often have it turn out to be nothing at all .... like this season's brief focus on Tony's gambling losses. It had me thinking that the gambling debts were going to somehow lead to Tony's demise, when suddenly on a dime, it turned out to be a complete non-issue. I think in this final episode, the writers had us all thinking something bad was going to happen and scrambling to guess what it was going to be ... especially in the last few minutes of the show when they were in the restaurant. They gave us a small taste of the paranoia most of these mobsters must live with every day. They played us with something similar to the old practical joke revenge trick where you assure the other person you aren't going to do anything to them, which makes them crazy trying to figure out what you're going to do to them.

It was more or less a happy ending ... something I didn't expect. The universally hated Phil got his, and we got to experience one more final gory shock scene. In the end, Tony's family, as well as Paulie and Silvio are still alive ... leaving the possibility of a future movie. A happy ending IMO. Would any of the other options have been better? Tony dies, everyone dies, Tony turns state witness, Tony retires ... any of those, while technically providing closure, no matter how they did it, would have been too ordinary IMO. I think they did a great job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd
I laughed, cuase they did so many things that made you think somethind would happen.

Exactly. IMO, that was the brilliance of it.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 91
The scene with Phil was worth the price of admission as far as I am concerned. The guy throwing up was a great touch!
icon10.gif
Like mbriant said, no ending would have made everyone happy.

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when did the sopranos (try to) turn into an arthouse television show?

Maybe when Tony looked at the ducks and passed out in the pilot. What are you talking about?

Occasionally it feels like the weight of the audience anticipation gets in the way of the story. Almost as if Chase is too self-aware to be free to take things in the direction he wishes, so he creates a possibility and then reverses himself. The 'anything could happen' was always a strength of the show, but not its primary one. I tend to love open endings, but this felt artificial, an avoidance (this isn't the first time) and thus ends up too defensive (Hey no misstep!). I know they played The Twilight Zone earlier in the episode and all that, but is a zinger and surprising the audience enough? Then you just end up with Lost or 24. Yawn. Or at least that's my initial response. We'll see over the next couple days if that changes. It was surely to encourage discussion over 'what if', exactly as we're doing now. Funny, Adrianna's stand-in being a cat.

Still it was the best television show in years. A lot of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back