The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Oct 19, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #2,416 of 3,003
updated it before i started using it. i think that the unit is defective.
Personal opinion: it is definitely underpowered compared to nearly everything out there, works superb for IEMs or bluetooth cans.
I have the Asian NW-A105 (Made in Malaysia), updated to 3.00.07 as per below:
https://www.sony-mea.com/en/electronics/support/downloads/00016951

I find myself usually playing at around 75-90 for most tracks on what I would like to call a medium-high volume, my sweet spot.
60-80 it's actually quite listenable levels in quieter environments and most tracks.
For about 20% of them I need to pump up the volume to 90-110 specially on more quiet tracks and acoustic tracks.

I used to hate my NW-A105 when I got it, but it eventually grows on you even with all the flaws and lack of features. But not sure if I would drop again that kind of money on this thing, I'd rather get the A50 series or go chinese.

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #2,417 of 3,003
Personal opinion: it is definitely underpowered compared to nearly everything out there, works superb for IEMs or bluetooth cans.

I find myself usually playing at around 75-90 for most tracks on what I would like to call a medium-high volume, my sweet spot.
60-80 it's actually quite listenable levels in quieter environments and most tracks.
For about 20% of them I need to pump up the volume to 90-110 specially on more quiet tracks and acoustic tracks.

I used to hate my NW-A105 when I got it, but it eventually grows on you even with all the flaws and lack of features. But not sure if I would drop again that kind of money on this thing, I'd rather get the A50 series or go chinese.

Is that volume with IEM’s or headphones?

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,418 of 3,003

I like the A105 but I don't LOVE it. There is definitely better value out there. Mine is relegated to listening to podcasts and audiobooks. It saves me using my phone for everything.

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,419 of 3,003
Is that volume with IEM’s or headphones?
IEMs. Now using the Moondrop Starfield, the same as our fellow.

Same boat as Anthony, I don't love it but it does a pretty good job at not burning my phone's battery... Plus side no music interruption and hardware buttons for music playback.

The last update took away some of my discontent and now it feels "okay"... at least I don't feel abandoned and they added basic and essential functionalities which I find ironic from a brand such like Sony Walkman to be missing. Hopefully we will get a new update that will bring it on par with most Android music players apps and DAPs, and without draining the battery that much.

I wonder if one day it would be possible to install the non-android version firmware on this thing, that'd be awesome.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #2,420 of 3,003
For those hungry headphones I purchased Lotoo Paw S1. I use it for my IEMs and Headphones with balanced cable (4.4mm output).
About the single ended output of the A105 I find it good enough for sensitive IEMs, I usually listen @60/70/80 volume.... Sometimes 90, but never went beyond 100 (I tried at 110 120 a couple of time just for curiosity, but it blows my ears away and hurts a lot).
After 100 btw I feel it to lose sound quality.

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,421 of 3,003
For those hungry headphones I purchased Lotoo Paw S1. I use it for my IEMs and Headphones with balanced cable (4.4mm output).
About the single ended output of the A105 I find it good enough for sensitive IEMs, I usually listen @60/70/80 volume.... Sometimes 90, but never went beyond 100 (I tried at 110 120 a couple of time just for curiosity, but it blows my ears away and hurts a lot).
After 100 btw I feel it to lose sound quality.
I agree, when all else is considered this is a pretty basic DAP. A typical case of plenty of features but master of none. My 6yr old A15 is a much better device for simply listening to music. I'm not sure what type of audience Sony were attending to with the A105, too expensive for casual listeners, but yet poorly executed for the discerning music fan.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #2,422 of 3,003
There is one thing that it does better than other DAPs: bluetooth and wifi connection.
I think they made the A105 for those that use streaming services. Actually Tidal and Spotify works flawlessly. I had more expensive DAPs that didn't work fine with bluetooth and had poor wifi range and stability.

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #2,423 of 3,003
There is one thing that it does better than other DAPs: bluetooth and wifi connection.
I think they made the A105 for those that use streaming services. Actually Tidal and Spotify works flawlessly. I had more expensive DAPs that didn't work fine with bluetooth and had poor wifi range and stability.
I agree. It is pretty good as a streaming DAP.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #2,424 of 3,003
IEMs. Now using the Moondrop Starfield, the same as our fellow.

Same boat as Anthony, I don't love it but it does a pretty good job at not burning my phone's battery... Plus side no music interruption and hardware buttons for music playback.

The last update took away some of my discontent and now it feels "okay"... at least I don't feel abandoned and they added basic and essential functionalities which I find ironic from a brand such like Sony Walkman to be missing. Hopefully we will get a new update that will bring it on par with most Android music players apps and DAPs, and without draining the battery that much.

I wonder if one day it would be possible to install the non-android version firmware on this thing, that'd be awesome.

What did the latest update bring?
IMO soundwise and powerwise it's a very good IEM DAP. Not perfect due to a little hiss with very sensivite IEMs like CA Andromeda.

I cannot imagine how much this DAP would improve if some day a possibility to root will appear.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #2,425 of 3,003
What did the latest update bring?
IMO soundwise and powerwise it's a very good IEM DAP. Not perfect due to a little hiss with very sensivite IEMs like CA Andromeda.

I cannot imagine how much this DAP would improve if some day a possibility to root will appear.
https://www.sony.com.my/electronics...rs-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a105/downloads/00016951

For me basically these were a huge deal:
-EQ support for bluetooth headphones.
-Tap on current playing artist to see all albums and songs in album.

Now to make me happy I'd like to see:
-EQ for USB Audio Output.
-Playlist editing within the app

The fact that I can use the default music app instead of a third party app like USB Audio Player Pro means my battery will last until I reach home.

Using a third party app never lasts me until I get back home, and also many issues with app licensing in the Google Play Store.... seems like the license gets wiped upon restart so I need to connect to WiFi in order to be able use them again... very common on PowerAmp and USB Audio Player Pro. So if you're in a plane or without wifi you're so screwed...

Oct 23, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #2,426 of 3,003
Just picked up my A105 yesterday and finished setting it up and updating to the latest firmware. After spending almost 2 weeks checking this thread and asking plenty of other owners about the battery life, so far its been great both in local music playback and standby time (4% lost over 7.5 hours overnight).

I just wanna ask something regarding the airplane mode as this is a pretty common recommendation to turn on:
If I do turn off airplane mode and make sure to turn off WiFi/Bluetooth manually whenever I don't use them, that's essentially the same as using airplane mode to turn them on/off right?

Just making sure unless airplane mode turns off additional stuff under the hood that helps with battery life, besides WiFi/Bluetooth. I'm just annoyed at having an airplane icon on my status bar when I already turn off the Wifi/Bluetooth myself.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #2,427 of 3,003
Just picked up my A105 yesterday and finished setting it up and updating to the latest firmware. After spending almost 2 weeks checking this thread and asking plenty of other owners about the battery life, so far its been great both in local music playback and standby time (4% lost over 7.5 hours overnight).

I just wanna ask something regarding the airplane mode as this is a pretty common recommendation to turn on:
If I do turn off airplane mode and make sure to turn off WiFi/Bluetooth manually whenever I don't use them, that's essentially the same as using airplane mode to turn them on/off right?

Just making sure unless airplane mode turns off additional stuff under the hood that helps with battery life, besides WiFi/Bluetooth. I'm just annoyed at having an airplane icon on my status bar when I already turn off the Wifi/Bluetooth myself.

Unless you have explicitly turned off wifi and bluetooth scanning, the radios are still active for location services, etc. even when turned off. I personally use airplane mode because, in theory, it actually prevents the radios from operating by design.

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #2,428 of 3,003
Unless you have explicitly turned off wifi and bluetooth scanning, the radios are still active for location services, etc. even when turned off.

I see, how can I explicitly turn them off even after toggling WiFi/Bluetooth off?

I personally use airplane mode because, in theory, it actually prevents the radios from operating by design.

Does that mean it would be a much surer way to just use airplane mode instead of simply turning off WiFi/Bluetooth themselves?

Oct 23, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,429 of 3,003
I see, how can I explicitly turn them off even after toggling WiFi/Bluetooth off?

Does that mean it would be a much surer way to just use airplane mode instead of simply turning off WiFi/Bluetooth themselves?

To turn off scanning:

Settings > Security & location > Location > Advanced > Scanning

I feel that airplane mode is a surer way, but I have no evidence to prove that (once scanning is turned off).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back