The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2,026 of 3,003
Guys, I’m in doubt between ZX507 EU version (used for about 470€) and the A105 Asian version new (320€ + import taxes if applied). There is a difference of 150€, and my main worry is about the volume cap of the EU Version.

Advice needed!

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #2,027 of 3,003
Yeah. I sometimes think these posts are written by people that never ever tried streaming before and just decided it's not for them :wink:

I know it was a big project for middle-aged guys (like my old boss) a few years ago to rip all their old cds to mp3s, now with streaming and alot of it being available in FLAC or better formats it seems the times have passed them by....

I have tried streaming when I have forgotten my DAP using my smartphone. My smartphone is used for my business and I don't load songs on it streaming or otherwise as I need my storage to run a business. So in rare instances I have streamed wifi so quality has been an issue on the subway. Those of us who don't live by streaming and only use it when there is no other option do experience problems in places like subways since I don't save streaming tracks on my phone. As long as you have your own music time will never pass you buy. It is great to have more than one option for consuming music if you have a little imagination.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #2,028 of 3,003
I have tried streaming when I have forgotten my DAP using my smartphone. My smartphone is used for my business and I don't load songs on it streaming or otherwise as I need my storage to run a business. So in rare instances I have streamed wifi so quality has been an issue on the subway. Those of us who don't live by streaming and only use it when there is no other option do experience problems in places like subways since I don't save streaming tracks on my phone. As long as you have your own music time will never pass you buy. It is great to have more than one option for consuming music if you have a little imagination.

I have the same needs. I'm very happy with my LG G8S, it rocks! With Poweramp installed and about 100gb of FLAC, plus streaming apps, I felt like I didn't need a DAP and I sold my last one (Hiby R3 PRO).
The problem are mainly two:
1) no privacy if you listen to music with your smartphone, if you use it for business;
2) battery drains like bitten by a vampire.

I have had many DAPs (sub €500), one of the best sounding was the DX160 but it has problem with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I chose the A105 (asian version) because I've read that Sony has very stable connectivity.

I've ordered it today from Hong Kong (326€ shipped with FedEx Express). I'll let you know how does it sound and works.

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2,029 of 3,003
I have the same needs. I'm very happy with my LG G8S, it rocks! With Poweramp installed and about 100gb of FLAC, plus streaming apps, I felt like I didn't need a DAP and I sold my last one (Hiby R3 PRO).
The problem are mainly two:
1) no privacy if you listen to music with your smartphone, if you use it for business;
2) battery drains like bitten by a vampire.

I have had many DAPs (sub €500), one of the best sounding was the DX160 but it has problem with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I chose the A105 (asian version) because I've read that Sony has very stable connectivity.

I've ordered it today from Hong Kong (326€ shipped with FedEx Express). I'll let you know how does it sound and works.

The WiFi and Bluetooth has been excellent on my Japanese A105. However battery life while using them is pretty bad.

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #2,030 of 3,003
Battery life is a problem for the most of Android DAPs. I hope that the sound quality will be way better than my LG G8S.... Otherwise I will return it or sell it.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,031 of 3,003
Battery life is a problem for the most of Android DAPs. I hope that the sound quality will be way better than my LG G8S.... Otherwise I will return it or sell it.

One of the advantages of the stripped down Android OS on the Fiio M series DAP's is good battery life. I was getting about 18 hours on my M7 and close to the rated 10 hours on my M9.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,032 of 3,003
One of the advantages of the stripped down Android OS on the Fiio M series DAP's is good battery life. I was getting about 18 hours on my M7 and close to the rated 10 hours on my M9.

I have had M9 and returned it to Amazon after 2 weeks because I didn't like the interface.... Battery wasn't bad.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #2,033 of 3,003
I have had M9 and returned it to Amazon after 2 weeks because I didn't like the interface.... Battery wasn't bad.

I wasn't a fan of the Fiio Music App initially and started using Pulsar. But over time with a few firmware updates the Fiio Music App got alot better and it is a very good app now and is just as good to me as Pulsar so I am back to using it. I got the M9 on black friday last year on an impulse as it was on sale for $120 off. I wouldn't have paid the $400 price it was selling for but at $280 CDN, about the same price as the M7 I couldn't resist. In hindsight it was a smart choice as there are very few DAP's available in Canada now and the A55 and A105 are on the not available list. Nothing from Sony, Shanling (M2X or Q1), or Hiby the only DAP's available now in Canada really are Fiio DAP's in my price range.

Unfortunately sometimes lack of options is the biggest factor in the DAP you end up buying.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #2,035 of 3,003
Yes, just pay again and again every month for the music you have already paid for - nothing wrong with that, especially if you are at the receiving end of the money.

I assume you are talking about paying for Spotify or something similar? I doubt anyone is paying for Spotify to listen to something they already own.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #2,036 of 3,003
^ I already bought and owned specific genre of music that's just don't exist on streaming service, so the whole bulk of other genres I just let Spotify handle for me.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #2,038 of 3,003
What genre is it out of curiosity?
mostly Jpop, and tons, as in couple tens of gigabytes worth of game and anime OST,all of those are kept in my DAP. mainstream streaming service just wont cater to a niche genre like that (maybe some on western movies; OSTs, but none for Japanese ones, but i like to relisten the songs from shows I like.
My phone handle the more mainstream ones in an organized spotify playlist, most of which I enable to auto download for offline use.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,039 of 3,003
I assume you are talking about paying for Spotify or something similar? I doubt anyone is paying for Spotify to listen to something they already own.

Well that is the problem, I own over 9000 songs from every genre I like. I certainly am not going to waste my time plowing through the streaming services for music I don't have. Easier to just buy the new songs I don't have than to try and avoid redundancy from a streaming service

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,040 of 3,003
Well that is the problem, I own over 9000 songs from every genre I like. I certainly am not going to waste my time plowing through the streaming services for music I don't have. Easier to just buy the new songs I don't have than to try and avoid redundancy from a streaming service

And that is perfectly fine, streaming isn't for you. I personally think the A105 is better suited for people that have their own music vice just streaming but maybe that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back