The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Apr 18, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #2,011 of 3,003
Thanks mate for the kind clarification.

Will take note of the above suggestions. Would be good if there's more information on the Tidal playback via A105 is full or partial.
With that I believed it would add more value to the DAP.

Cheers!

I’m afraid is not full, because Android is capped at 16bit/48kHz when you stream. I don’t know if you download at Master Quality and then listen to those tracks ....

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #2,012 of 3,003
I’m afraid is not full, because Android is capped at 16bit/48kHz when you stream. I don’t know if you download at Master Quality and then listen to those tracks ....
Agreed to your point that Android resample at that the Khz you mentioned.
That's where UAPP comes in, whereby it sends bit-perfect digital signals to external DAC for processing.

But am little puzzled of what Sony said that the DAP is MQA decode enabled. Hence, that's the question I have asked earlier.
Coming back to your above point it makes sense now that A105 will only unfold 1x via Tidal app, and 2x via UAPP.

And the full unfold (maybe there is) is carry out for non-Tidal MQA tracks via the Walkman app?

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #2,013 of 3,003
Agreed to your point that Android resample at that the Khz you mentioned.
That's where UAPP comes in, whereby it sends bit-perfect digital signals to external DAC for processing.

But am little puzzled of what Sony said that the DAP is MQA decode enabled. Hence, that's the question I have asked earlier.
Coming back to your above point it makes sense now that A105 will only unfold 1x via Tidal app, and 2x via UAPP.

And the full unfold (maybe there is) is carry out for non-Tidal MQA tracks via the Walkman app?

I can't answer, but I will dig.

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #2,015 of 3,003
Streaming's no 1 selling point is simple: convenience. it's also what make airpods and airpods Pro the best selling in ear.

People who have 0 to little offline collection to start with will buy into streaming, people who has em but can't buy a 1Tb sd card and don't spend time ripping CDs as their hobby will buy into streaming, people whose social group live and grows by sharing music online as part of their social life will buy into streaming.

Its just another change of times, don't expect anyone young to start living the life tens of years ago in the present.

Even with compression, change in mastering without their knowledge, losing songs they love because the artist pulled it out, etc, all the problem of paying for stuff you don't actually owns,
They're satisfied by it.

and you should be too with your own collections already safe in your hands.

Just enjoy the Music.
You always have something to start, I started with just 10 CDs 20 years ago

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #2,016 of 3,003
Streaming's no 1 selling point is simple: convenience. it's also what make airpods and airpods Pro the best selling in ear.

People who have 0 to little offline collection to start with will buy into streaming, people who has em but can't buy a 1Tb sd card and don't spend time ripping CDs as their hobby will buy into streaming, people whose social group live and grows by sharing music online as part of their social life will buy into streaming.

Its just another change of times, don't expect anyone young to start living the life tens of years ago in the present.

Even with compression, change in mastering without their knowledge, losing songs they love because the artist pulled it out, etc, all the problem of paying for stuff you don't actually owns,
They're satisfied by it.

and you should be too with your own collections already safe in your hands.

Just enjoy the Music.
Also the laziness of the today's people, if some English speaking people whine when some one here writes in polish or Hungarian and don't even bother to translate with google at best... would you you expect people to make the "dirty job" of building a library of local files? E.g putting a cd into the drive and wait it to rip, then tag the files properly and not talk of maintaining the library

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #2,017 of 3,003
Streaming is instantaneous gratification, more so than digital download to own (you must wait the zip or files to download, then check tags).

It took me 5 days to add 10SACD of Classical Produktion Osnabruck (CPO) of Pachelbel Organ works.
2 day to rip the SACDs to iso
Two days to extract DSD and split to dsf files
Half a day to tag them and some hours to work the booklet scan for the folder jpg...

Despite I already own Centaur records 11 CD set of pachelbel organ works (kept both , specially the centaur records one for the use of historic organs, many unrestored)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,018 of 3,003
exactly, there's simply stuffs other people enjoy doing that others doesn't. it's preference. it's even more when you've already doing it for years that it becomes a hobby/habit by itself.
Its nothing about being lazy, it's just each own's differing sets of priorities in life.

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #2,019 of 3,003
As someone who owns hundreds of CDs, i wholeheartedly agree that most streaming isn't at a point of offering the best quality listening experience. My only point is streaming can offer artists a wider audience than traditional radio stations. Either way, the point of this hobby is to enjoy the music. I hope the take away for everyone from all this is to listen to music however you enjoy it.

Granted if I was much younger and didn't have a huge CD collection it might be different. But then I think I would be using my smartphone instead of a DAP since streaming audio quality isn't optimal and usually a more polished experience for streaming audio than most DAP's. I will always have my home system for the best listening experience in the best listening environment and no streaming audio allowed. :gs1000smile: I buy a DAP for the best portable audio so I just can't bring myself to listen to a less than optimal sounding source like streaming, kind of defeats the purpose of owning a DAP for me.

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #2,020 of 3,003
Streaming is instantaneous gratification, more so than digital download to own (you must wait the zip or files to download, then check tags).

It took me 5 days to add 10SACD of Classical Produktion Osnabruck (CPO) of Pachelbel Organ works.
Half a day to tag them and some hours to work the booklet scan for the folder jpg...

Despite I already own Centaur records 11 CD set of pachelbel organ works (kept both , specially the centaur records one for the use of historic organs, many unrestored)

Yeah I already have hundreds of CD's ripped so I don't have the aggravation for the most part. I still kind of enjoy ripping CD's sometimes, it makes me feel more invested in the experience. I will say MediaGo use to be great for ripping CD's, as it would automatically download and embed the artwork and add the metadata after ripping making the experience relatively painless. I have only downloaded a few tracks, usually I will go this route if an album only has a few tracks I like making it pointless to track down the CD. I do use the download services sometimes though to demo music before I decide to buy or not. I check wikipedia and metacritic pretty much every Friday to see what artists will be releasing new music and when.

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #2,021 of 3,003
I just can't bring myself to listen to a less than optimal sounding source like streaming, kind of defeats the purpose of owning a DAP for me.
Especially when you hit expensive ones like the infamous A&K or fiio M15

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #2,022 of 3,003
Yeah I already have hundreds of CD's ripped so I don't have the aggravation for the most part. I still kind of enjoy ripping CD's sometimes, it makes me feel more invested in the experience. I will say MediaGo use to be great for ripping CD's, as it would automatically download and embed the artwork and add the metadata after ripping making the experience relatively painless. I have only downloaded a few tracks, usually I will go this route if an album only has a few tracks I like making it pointless to track down the CD. I do use the download services sometimes though to demo music before I decide to buy or not. I check wikipedia and metacritic pretty much every Friday to see what artists will be releasing new music and when.
Yeah, I have also many (SA)CDs, all have had b n ripped to FLAC/DSD plus downloads, 3883 albums =1.26TB

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #2,023 of 3,003

One place where streaming is not instantaneously gratifying is on the subway. I travel alot by subway in Toronto visiting clients and that is one area where streaming sucks. Wifi reception underground is a dogs breakfast and more frustration than it is worth. Instead of relaxing and listening to my tunes I'd be pulling my grey hair out in frustration.

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,024 of 3,003
One place where streaming is not instantaneously gratifying is on the subway. I travel alot by subway in Toronto visiting clients and that is one area where streaming sucks. Wifi reception underground is a dogs breakfast and more frustration than it is worth. Instead of relaxing and listening to my tunes I'd be pulling my grey hair out in frustration.
Nah, you'd be fine. The streaming services allow us to download content so we can listen anywhere, regardless of reception.

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,025 of 3,003
Yeah. I sometimes think these posts are written by people that never ever tried streaming before and just decided it's not for them :wink:

I know it was a big project for middle-aged guys (like my old boss) a few years ago to rip all their old cds to mp3s, now with streaming and alot of it being available in FLAC or better formats it seems the times have passed them by....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back