The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Apr 17, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,996 of 3,003
I just received my A105 from Japan.
The difference with the EU version is understated by some, it’s night and day!!!!!

On the Japanese one with the same settings in the Sony app and with the same settings in Tidal volume level 81 is the same as the EU version on 120, yet it sounds much better (fuller, more power).
So it’s not only a loudness difference, the power is also capped on the EU version making listening at anything lower than max volume very unpleasant.

This changed my opinion of the player. I was ready to get the Hiby R5 but now I’m keeping the Sony.

also the Japanese version is made in Malaysia instead of China and the print, text and finish is better. The Walkman logo is pure white on the black version instead of brown ish. The buttons also feel better. I had ordered the grey one but hey don’t mind the black one as long as it works.

Ordered it on amazon JP, it arrived 3 days after dispatch in Belgium. DHL Express world class service as always. The only carrier one should use for international shippings.

The Japanese version also came with the 2 rubber USB port covers, the EU one didn’t.

The EU version has no right to cost as much, it is not even in the same league!!!

Good news! I am in doubt between A105 and ZX507 because I don't know if the price difference is worth.

I mostly use IEMs.

On Amazon.jp I can't register because chrome doesn't translate, I don't knkw why. I found the asian version of A105 on Accessoryjack.com for 281€+36€ of FedEx express shipping but I assume there will be import taxes (maybe 100€ or more?).

Amazon wharehouse on Amazon.it has got a ZX507 stated "used like new" for 537€ with prime shipping (and easy return policy), but it is EU version.

I really

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,997 of 3,003
Good news! I am in doubt between A105 and ZX507 because I don't know if the price difference is worth.

I mostly use IEMs.

On Amazon.jp I can't register because chrome doesn't translate, I don't knkw why. I found the asian version of A105 on Accessoryjack.com for 281€+36€ of FedEx express shipping but I assume there will be import taxes (maybe 100€ or more?).

Amazon wharehouse on Amazon.it has got a ZX507 stated "used like new" for 537€ with prime shipping (and easy return policy), but it is EU version.

I really

I bought a ZX300 once at accessoryjack. Received it really fast and no import taxes at all (to EU). Just send Jack an email to check wit him and what to expect with corona right now.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,999 of 3,003

I mostly use IEMs.

I really

Just put amazon JP in English in the language settings or use the app... and for IEMs get the A105. It is more than powerful enough en from what I have read here people that have both prefer the A105 SQ wise when using the 3.5mm out. If you want and upgrade consider the Hiby R5 from AliExpress.
Mine was 218EUR excl shipping and tax and was 263 all in to Belgium

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #2,000 of 3,003
Just put amazon JP in English in the language settings or use the app... and for IEMs get the A105. It is more than powerful enough en from what I have read here people that have both prefer the A105 SQ wise when using the 3.5mm out. If you want and upgrade consider the Hiby R5 from AliExpress.
Mine was 218EUR excl shipping and tax and was 263 all in to Belgium

I had these DAPs and sold all of them: Fiio M9, Cayin N3, iBasso DX160 and Hiby R3 PRO.
The best overall is the R3 Pro but I need streaming apps to discover new music and want an android DAP.
The DX160 sounds great but the connectivity and the battery life are very bad imho.
R5 could be a good choice but I want to go for Sony for many reasons, and the first one is stable connections.

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #2,001 of 3,003
I must confuse it with the normal R3 then. Thought it was just the same thing with better specs.

The R3 had WiFi and was able to stream Tidal as well.

Both R3 does use custom Linux instead of Android, which is why the Tidal support is very unpolished (no offline support etc).

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #2,002 of 3,003
Hi Folks.

Am wandering if anyone came across this, but would really be appreciative if anyone here is kind enough to shed me some lights on the below.

Sony website stated that A100/105 is able to decode and playback MQA files.

Does that means the player can:

1. Fully unfold MQA files (stream/offline tracks) via the Tidal app? or,
2. Fully unfold MQA files that is saved in the DAP memory card, and playback via the Walkman App? or,
3. The DAP only unfold 1x when playback from either one of the above mentioned app?

Thanks in advance for any information available.

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,003 of 3,003
The R3 had WiFi and was able to stream Tidal as well.

Both R3 does use custom Linux instead of Android, which is why the Tidal support is very unpolished (no offline support etc).
It’s not the same. It’s a handicapped version of tidal... you can’t even save tracks if I recall correctly and the device has only 2.4Ghz WiFi. Good luck streaming Master quality audio with that...

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #2,004 of 3,003
I had these DAPs and sold all of them: Fiio M9, Cayin N3, iBasso DX160 and Hiby R3 PRO.
The best overall is the R3 Pro but I need streaming apps to discover new music and want an android DAP.
The DX160 sounds great but the connectivity and the battery life are very bad imho.
R5 could be a good choice but I want to go for Sony for many reasons, and the first one is stable connections.
The A105 is very good but battery life is not great and the animations aren’t as fast in the tidal app as on a smartphone. Just keep that in mind. But it has enough RAM to stream lossless audio, very good connectivity, a great screen, very good SQ, very good build quality...

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #2,005 of 3,003
Hi Folks.

Am wandering if anyone came across this, but would really be appreciative if anyone here is kind enough to shed me some lights on the below.

Sony website stated that A100/105 is able to decode and playback MQA files.

Does that means the player can:

1. Fully unfold MQA files (stream/offline tracks) via the Tidal app? or,
2. Fully unfold MQA files that is saved in the DAP memory card, and playback via the Walkman App? or,
3. The DAP only unfold 1x when playback from either one of the above mentioned app?

Thanks in advance for any information available.

In Tidal MQA is the Master Quality Audio preset. I can confirm that you can stream them offline and online and save them on the device or memory card.

Just some tips:
1. Don’t save anything on the internal storage except for the tidal/Spotify app. The device has only 4.5GB free from the 16GB and if you fill up the device you will get issues while streaming Master Quality audio as it caches the files in RAM but also on the NAND itself!

2. In the tidal app don’t forget to choose the storage location before downloading your tracks (in settings)

3.VERY IMPORTANT AND OFTEN OVERLOOKED: don’t cheap out on the SD card!!! Those files are very high nitrate and most micro sd cards are really crap when it comes to IOPS and write speeds. Get at least an UHS-II card with A1 rating as it guarantees the sustained write speeds but also the minimum IOPS. I use the 64GB SanDisk Extreme, you can also get the Extreme Pro variant or the Lexar 1800X which is the fastest Micro SD card on the planet.

EDIT: I’m only talking about Tidal in the above. I will see if I can find some test MQA files to test from the Walkman app but they should work, DSD is also supported.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #2,006 of 3,003
I use a 128gb Sandisk Extreme Pro and a 256gb Samsung EVO Plus.

About Tidal on the R3 Pro I confirm that is handicapped version, but if you don't need to stream, it is very pocketable and sounds very good, with great battery life.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #2,007 of 3,003
In Tidal MQA is the Master Quality Audio preset. I can confirm that you can stream them offline and online and save them on the device or memory card.

Just some tips:
1. Don’t save anything on the internal storage except for the tidal/Spotify app. The device has only 4.5GB free from the 16GB and if you fill up the device you will get issues while streaming Master Quality audio as it caches the files in RAM but also on the NAND itself!

2. In the tidal app don’t forget to choose the storage location before downloading your tracks (in settings)

3.VERY IMPORTANT AND OFTEN OVERLOOKED: don’t cheap out on the SD card!!! Those files are very high nitrate and most micro sd cards are really crap when it comes to IOPS and write speeds. Get at least an UHS-II card with A1 rating as it guarantees the sustained write speeds but also the minimum IOPS. I use the 64GB SanDisk Extreme, you can also get the Extreme Pro variant or the Lexar 1800X which is the fastest Micro SD card on the planet.

EDIT: I’m only talking about Tidal in the above. I will see if I can find some test MQA files to test from the Walkman app but they should work, DSD is also supported.
Thanks mate for the kind clarification.

Will take note of the above suggestions. Would be good if there's more information on the Tidal playback via A105 is full or partial.
With that I believed it would add more value to the DAP.

Cheers!

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #2,008 of 3,003
Thanks mate for the kind clarification.

Will take note of the above suggestions. Would be good if there's more information on the Tidal playback via A105 is full or partial.
With that I believed it would add more value to the DAP.

Cheers!

You welcome.
And it the full thing just like on an Android phone. Just a little bit sluggish interface but it works 100 procent (Tidal app can be laggy on lower end android devices, its rather heavy).

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,009 of 3,003
You welcome.
And it the full thing just like on an Android phone. Just a little bit sluggish interface but it works 100 procent (Tidal app can be laggy on lower end android devices, its rather heavy).
Agreed that its a bit laggy with Tidal app. Nevertheless the SQ is good coming out from there.
Was wandering how will it sound if the player unfold fully Master file. Unable to get any MQA tracks download in my country due to restriction.
Thus, Tidal comes in to the picture.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #2,010 of 3,003
It’s not the same. It’s a handicapped version of tidal... you can’t even save tracks if I recall correctly and the device has only 2.4Ghz WiFi. Good luck streaming Master quality audio with that...

Exactly - cannot save tracks on the device is no offline support - which is what I said.

I've owned the Hiby R3 before - I don't like it because while it has lots of features its UI is full of bugs. It's like a Swiss Army Knife - it has all the tools on it but it is only there to get you by when you have no other choice and using it is not a pleasant experience. Sony Walkmans focuses on local playback (even streaming capable ones such as the A105 here) and does not have every tool in the toolkit, but what it does do it does it well and is a pleasant experience to use.

The fact of reality is that if you want good native streaming support, you need to have Android for compatibility/security/DRM reasons. If you what a pure audio experience, full Android gets in the way because full Android is not designed for audiphile DAP usage in mind. It's a dilemmia that won't be solved any time soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back