The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,981 of 3,003
I like to use Spotify family plan, and gave it to my family and close friends, having the same unlimited plan make us able to add in songs we each like into a single playlist, and chat about it together.
Family plan is also cheaper and gave quite a lot of slots.

I understand the benefit to the consumer but when people start sharing accounts and even giving songs they download to their friends it hurts the artists trying to earn a living. I lived in St Louis for 11 years and I was tapped into the local music scene. I had alot of friends who were musicians and one who owned his own instrument repair business. Some did studio work and most played in local bands. To hear them talk about music pirating which was big at the time and now streaming and how it makes it almost impossible for most musicians to keep making music because they can't survive.

I hear millenials say they support social causes and only buy products with a message or that support a cause. But when it comes to consuming music where is the support for the artist? The big artists like Taylor Swift make out like bandits but the artists with real talent are left to pick up the crumbs left behind.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #1,982 of 3,003
it's still not something avoidable entirely, streaming is definitely the future. it's just the implementation of it which most are still on Pro Rata than User based. that's for them companies and music labels to duke out, it'd probably would never be perfect for all sides. I'm just making use of what's here right now, much better start listening than locking myself on specific genre I personally only buy myself a copy of.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,983 of 3,003
I understand the benefit to the consumer but when people start sharing accounts and even giving songs they download to their friends it hurts the artists trying to earn a living. I lived in St Louis for 11 years and I was tapped into the local music scene. I had alot of friends who were musicians and one who owned his own instrument repair business. Some did studio work and most played in local bands. To hear them talk about music pirating which was big at the time and now streaming and how it makes it almost impossible for most musicians to keep making music because they can't survive.

I hear millenials say they support social causes and only buy products with a message or that support a cause. But when it comes to consuming music where is the support for the artist? The big artists like Taylor Swift make out like bandits but the artists with real talent are left to pick up the crumbs left behind.

The music industry has always favored the pop stars though. Streaming didn't change that dynamic. The internet however has opened up bands to a wider audience than they would normally have playing at local bars and clubs.

Also i would argue that sharing accounts isn't going to hurt the artist, their revenue will be based on the amount of listens. Sharing songs downloaded could hurt an artist, going on the theory that everyone that downloads a free copy of something would no longer buy anything to support the artist.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #1,984 of 3,003

Thats Some bull. Without streaming services some artists wouldn’t get anything as nobody would consider actually buyin their album or song, whereas now they get royalties even if someone else puts their song into a Playlist that someone listens to while working out for example.

I also want to request to end this discussion now as it gets on my nerves. If you like buying CDs or LPs or whatever that’s nice, to each it’s own. Thus thread is about the Walkman DAPs not about if you prefer to run around with a backback that contains a Vinyl player to listen to your music.

Enough spam about this topic.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,985 of 3,003
Thats Some bull. Without streaming services some artists wouldn’t get anything as nobody would consider actually buyin their album or song, whereas now they get royalties even if someone else puts their song into a Playlist that someone listens to while working out for example.

I also want to request to end this discussion now as it gets on my nerves. If you like buying CDs or LPs or whatever that’s nice, to each it’s own. Thus thread is about the Walkman DAPs not about if you prefer to run around with a backback that contains a Vinyl player to listen to your music.

Enough spam about this topic.

Yes it is about DAP's and DAP's support streaming services so these topics will surface from time to time. Topics like these keep these forums from getting stagnant, especially given the current situation where most DAP's are impossible to come by for most of us.

Indie bands were ever discovered long before streaming music came along? Talk about bull, artists were being discovered long before even the internet was invented believe it or not. I have 6 decades of experience buying and listening to music and there were several avenues available to get discovered long before streaming came along. I have been going to clubs and bars for decades to listen to indie bands. Unlike you screen obsessed zombies there are ways us non-zombies discover new music and get actual exercise at the same time. We even get to meet people and have face to face conversations.

Artists also get royalties when their songs are played on the radio. You know that thing that existed decades before the internet came along. Colleges and Universities have indie radio stations. There are a handful of streaming services but thousands of radio stations. Yes streaming is a newer better sounding service but it also costs money whereas FM radio is free and artists still get paid. If streaming was never invented there would still be lots of bands being discovered because they were discovered long before streaming came along. Look it up on the internet, it's a fact!!!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #1,986 of 3,003
Yes it is about DAP's and DAP's support streaming services so these topics will surface from time to time. Topics like these keep these forums from getting stagnant, especially given the current situation where most DAP's are impossible to come by for most of us. Indie bands were ever discovered long before streaming music came along? Talk about bull, artists were being discovered long before even the internet was invented believe it or not. I have 6 decades of experience buying and listening to music and there were several avenues available to get discovered long before streaming came along. I have been going to clubs and bars for decades to listen to indie bands. Unlike you screen obsessed zombies there are ways us non-zombies discover new music and get actual exercise at the same time. We even get to meet people and have face to face conversations. Artists also get royalties when their songs are played on the radio. You know that thing that existed decades before the internet came along. Colleges and Universities have indie radio stations. There are a handful of streaming services but thousands of radio stations. Yes streaming is a newer better sounding service but it also costs money whereas FM radio is free and artists still get paid. If streaming was never invented there would still be lots of bands being discovered because they were discovered long before streaming came along. Look it up on the internet, it's a fact!!!

With streaming you are paying to listen to what you want when you want. Your favorite FM station doesn't cover the planet, and it will also play what they want, not what you may want. I don't understand why you feel the need to attack anyone who may want to choose streaming. If you are buying the A105, you have the choice of putting your own music on the player or downloading one of the many streaming services. However unless your favorite FM station is streaming over the internet, I wouldn't expect to be listening to that.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,987 of 3,003
With streaming you are paying to listen to what you want when you want. Your favorite FM station doesn't cover the planet, and it will also play what they want, not what you may want. I don't understand why you feel the need to attack anyone who may want to choose streaming. If you are buying the A105, you have the choice of putting your own music on the player or downloading one of the many streaming services. However unless your favorite FM station is streaming over the internet, I wouldn't expect to be listening to that.

Yes FM stations play what they want but they also cater to different genres and decades of music. Streamers seem to think that streaming is the only option when other options have been available for a heck of alot longer. Again for people who like me who had to buy CD's and albums because streaming and downloading didn't exist. If I already have all this music then why would I also pay to stream the same music? I get tired of people who only understand streaming telling me, someone who has been around through the invention of pretty much every music listening technology from reel to reel all the up to yes streaming that it is the best and only real option. How do they know if they haven't experienced it? I have listened to high end audio systems and use to sell them for 15 years. Streaming audio is not the best option for the best sound quality despite what streamers keep telling me. The quality of what you stream is dependent on external factors like the quality of the wifi signal and the quality of the tracks streamed. When I listen to music on my DAP it sounds just as good no matter where I listen to it and I have total control over the quality of the music tracks I hear and total control over the tracks I hear for no monthly fee. FM radio is not great sound quality, but I have thousands of tracks from alot of independent bands I discovered on FM radio for free.

I apologize if I got a little heated but I am so tired of millenials trying to talk to me like they know more than I do. I have bunions older than most of them!! and I have been working in technology longer than most have been alive.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #1,988 of 3,003
Yes FM stations play what they want but they also cater to different genres and decades of music. Streamers seem to think that streaming is the only option when other options have been available for a heck of alot longer. Again for people who like me who had to buy CD's and albums because streaming and downloading didn't exist. If I already have all this music then why would I also pay to stream the same music? I get tired of people who only understand streaming telling me, someone who has been around through the invention of pretty much every music listening technology from reel to reel all the up to yes streaming that it is the best and only real option. How do they know if they haven't experienced it? I have listened to high end audio systems and use to sell them for 15 years. Streaming audio is not the best option for the best sound quality despite what streamers keep telling me. The quality of what you stream is dependent on external factors like the quality of the wifi signal and the quality of the tracks streamed. When I listen to music on my DAP it sounds just as good no matter where I listen to it and I have total control over the quality of the music tracks I hear and total control over the tracks I hear for no monthly fee. FM radio is not great sound quality, but I have thousands of tracks from alot of independent bands I discovered on FM radio for free.

I apologize if I got a little heated but I am so tired of millenials trying to talk to me like they know more than I do. I have bunions older than most of them!! and I have been working in technology longer than most have been alive.

As someone who owns hundreds of CDs, i wholeheartedly agree that most streaming isn't at a point of offering the best quality listening experience. My only point is streaming can offer artists a wider audience than traditional radio stations. Either way, the point of this hobby is to enjoy the music. I hope the take away for everyone from all this is to listen to music however you enjoy it.

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,989 of 3,003
Streaming's no 1 selling point is simple: convenience. it's also what make airpods and airpods Pro the best selling in ear.

People who have 0 to little offline collection to start with will buy into streaming, people who has em but can't buy a 1Tb sd card and don't spend time ripping CDs as their hobby will buy into streaming, people whose social group live and grows by sharing music online as part of their social life will buy into streaming.

Its just another change of times, don't expect anyone young to start living the life tens of years ago in the present.

Even with compression, change in mastering without their knowledge, losing songs they love because the artist pulled it out, etc, all the problem of paying for stuff you don't actually owns,
They're satisfied by it.

and you should be too with your own collections already safe in your hands.

Just enjoy the Music.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #1,990 of 3,003
I just received my A105 from Japan.
The difference with the EU version is understated by some, it’s night and day!!!!!

On the Japanese one with the same settings in the Sony app and with the same settings in Tidal volume level 81 is the same as the EU version on 120, yet it sounds much better (fuller, more power).
So it’s not only a loudness difference, the power is also capped on the EU version making listening at anything lower than max volume very unpleasant.

This changed my opinion of the player. I was ready to get the Hiby R5 but now I’m keeping the Sony.

also the Japanese version is made in Malaysia instead of China and the print, text and finish is better. The Walkman logo is pure white on the black version instead of brown ish. The buttons also feel better. I had ordered the grey one but hey don’t mind the black one as long as it works.

Ordered it on amazon JP, it arrived 3 days after dispatch in Belgium. DHL Express world class service as always. The only carrier one should use for international shippings.

The Japanese version also came with the 2 rubber USB port covers, the EU one didn’t.

The EU version has no right to cost as much, it is not even in the same league!!!

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,994 of 3,003
Not even in the same class... one is running Android and made with streaming in mind and the other is a pure DAP running Linux... SQ will be good on either of them and battery life will be way better on the R3 as it is a pure DAP without WiFi and other bells and whistles.

Not true, the Hiby R3 Pro has WiFi and is capable of streaming Tidal. It also has a bunch of irrelevant bells and whistles like a pedometer and even an ebook reader.

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,995 of 3,003
Not fussed about streaming, more curious about the SQ between the 2 and BT performance as use Sony WH-1000XM3 on my current DAP Sony NW-A45. Looking to upgrade to either Sony or Hiby
I don’t get people buying a DAP to use BT. Just use your phone then... almost every midrange phone has Apt-X/LDAC these days.

I haven’t heard the R3 but the Sony is better than the A45 from the reviews I have been looking at. You won’t be disappointed SQ wise with neither. But if you use BT the A105 is a no go. It has excellentBT but the battery life is not great when using BT and WiFi. I haven’t tested BT alone yet but I would get the R3 then, it will suit you much better and will have way better battery life. I doubt however it will be an upgrade from the A45 for your use, maybe a downgrade even as Sony is know to know a thing or two about BT.

You should be looking at the Hiby R5 or one of the FIIO players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back