The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #47 of 3,003
It's a ZX successor, that much is confirmed.
Where the SQ and specs land is what's to be seen. I am really hoping it's something like the 1Z build in a ZX size.
SQ should be above the 1A, it's been 3 years since its release. Then next year, the 1A successor hopefully has trickle down DMP-Z1 tech in there.
That'll be my cue to upgrade.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #48 of 3,003
It's a ZX successor, that much is confirmed.
Where the SQ and specs land is what's to be seen. I am really hoping it's something like the 1Z build in a ZX size.
SQ should be above the 1A, it's been 3 years since its release. Then next year, the 1A successor hopefully has trickle down DMP-Z1 tech in there.
That'll be my cue to upgrade.

Where has it been confirmed that there'll be a ZX successor then? Not seen anything, just hear say so far.

The site seems to be to “celebrate Walkman” - hopefully some actual product and not just a marketing idea!

That's my fear, would be a big letdown if that is the case!

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #49 of 3,003
Where has it been confirmed that there'll be a ZX successor then? Not seen anything, just hear say so far.

That's my fear, would be a big letdown if that is the case!
I heard it from one of the Sony dealers a few months back. Sony was keeping it hush hush, its a ZX300 successor.
1A and 1Z will probably be updated next year.

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #51 of 3,003
Oh ok, really hope that's not the case, rather hoping for an 1A replacement.
I think they are going the opposite route than the last time, they are starting from lowest to highest price sku, which makes sense. (DMP-Z1 is a statement product)
Plus I am hoping that extra year is time enough to get that DMP-Z1 tech into the higher end models. If you haven't heard that thing, it's really something else.
It'll be worth the wait.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #53 of 3,003
Usually when they launch a new player, how long does it take to be available for purchase?

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #54 of 3,003
Usually when they launch a new player, how long does it take to be available for purchase?

Official releases are dependent on the region you live in. For example when i was considering the A25 it was released in Asia but in Europe it took another 2-3 months for a official release.

If you mean the time between an announcement and the first availability that i don’t know.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #55 of 3,003
How come the new anniversary device will be a midrange? Wouldn't it make more sense if it were a flagship, since it is an anniversary release after all?
Realistically speaking 1Z performance in a ZX300-like size as a midrange wouldn't be very likely, but we'll probably get performance somewhere between the 1A and 1Z. Still crossing fingers over the former though!

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #57 of 3,003
Is there a launch event tomorrow? any estimated time if at all

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #60 of 3,003
I doubt it will be a product release, it will be just a website dedicated to the history of Walkman, maybe they might go crazy and release a limited release of the original walkman.

The Gurdian of the Galaxy made the original Walkman popular among the youth that have never seen a cassette let alone experience the sound of it. So it might be just that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back