The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jun 28, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #32 of 3,003
I hope the 40th will perform in-between 1Z and DMP. Right now there's a gap.

That new Walkman will be closer to the 1Z. The DMP is much better sounding than my 1Z IMO.

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #33 of 3,003
I know some have said that the 40th anniversary release will be a midrange device, but was that ever confirmed? Or is it merely speculation?

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #34 of 3,003
The ZX1 was the top model for 35th anniversary and now more or less mid to low end device. I am curious of what they will come up with.

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #36 of 3,003
The ZX1 was the top model for 35th anniversary and now more or less mid to low end device. I am curious of what they will come up with.

The market for high resolution Audio player only started a few years before the release of nw-zx1, considering that Sony was influenced by iriver not to compete with Apple and they started up with astell and Kern brand, while Sony started it's audiophile range.

The 30th anniversary Walkman was trying to compete directly with iPod in 2009 but it failed to do so, but it did attract a cult following for people who like Audio quality rather than Internet functionality.

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #37 of 3,003
The market for high resolution Audio player only started a few years before the release of nw-zx1, considering that Sony was influenced by iriver not to compete with Apple and they started up with astell and Kern brand, while Sony started it's audiophile range.

The 30th anniversary Walkman was trying to compete directly with iPod in 2009 but it failed to do so, but it did attract a cult following for people who like Audio quality rather than Internet functionality.

Actually, the audiophile range has and always been there...just that the asking price were much more reasonable back then. I still and will always blame iRiver for really cause the price gouging trend in our beloved industry. The NW-1Z doesn’t need to be $3200 if you know what I mean. Search Sony D555 Discman for one of the first high end discman ever mfr by Sony. It even had dual BB (now TI) DAC back in the day. If a company like Ibasso and FiiO can produce top end DAPs for less $1000....so can Sony and they can even sell it for less than that. How about bring the WM1Z performance in the ZX300 form factor and charge $1200 for it?

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #38 of 3,003
Actually, the audiophile range has and always been there...just that the asking price were much more reasonable back then. I still and will always blame iRiver for really cause the price gouging trend in our beloved industry. The NW-1Z doesn’t need to be $3200 if you know what I mean. Search Sony D555 Discman for one of the first high end discman ever mfr by Sony. It even had dual BB (now TI) DAC back in the day. If a company like Ibasso and FiiO can produce top end DAPs for less $1000....so can Sony and they can even sell it for less than that. How about bring the WM1Z performance in the ZX300 form factor and charge $1200 for it?
WM1Z level build in a ZX300 size. Now that'll be something else.....
That'll be pretty damn sweet, and would entice me to open up my wallet.

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #39 of 3,003
WM1Z level build in a ZX300 size. Now that'll be something else.....
That'll be pretty damn sweet, and would entice me to open up my wallet.
Yes, I do like the sound of that as well!
Although I don't mind the build of the 1A/1Z, it is a little larger but it also has a better build

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #40 of 3,003

According to the designers interview on Sony Japan, the difference is that previously, management and the accounting department and sales and marketing representative will implement what target and what budget restrictions the audio team was allowed, generally quite a bit, some times the Audio designers modify existing Walkman with opened chassis to improve the sound as their own improvements, then Sony decided to dedicated an audiophile range as they realised they can't compete with Apple, no limitations on price, the zx sub range and eventually wm1 range were the results

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #41 of 3,003
According to the designers interview on Sony Japan, the difference is that previously, management and the accounting department and sales and marketing representative will implement what target and what budget restrictions the audio team was allowed, generally quite a bit, some times the Audio designers modify existing Walkman with opened chassis to improve the sound as their own improvements, then Sony decided to dedicated an audiophile range as they realised they can't compete with Apple, no limitations on price, the zx sub range and eventually wm1 range were the results
Thank GOD for that, because I skipped the whole IPOD phase, was never really impressed by that whole craze.

So crazy to think about now, people went from CD's to mp3s. Vinyl to Cassette, CDs to mp3s. Quality goes up, quality goes down.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #43 of 3,003
I don't think Sony will price its 40th anniv walkman so that only the top 1% could afford. It most likely will be an affordable Walkman for the masses.
For the masses of the audiophile demographic of course, to a regular consumer any audio product over $250 is considered overpriced lol

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #45 of 3,003
It honestly depends on how many units Sony hopes to sell. It'd interesting to see them take up the challenge of making a truly mainstream device if they think it's worth it, but I'd be just as happy to see them try to compete in the entry-level audiophile game like FiiO. A high-end product doesn't speak to the legacy of the Walkman so I'll assume that isn't the play here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back