The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Feb 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #617 of 698

What makes the soundstage wide (and deep) on the MH463, is how good the instrament separation, and separate space of the main vocalist, and backup vocals.  I have mine recabled now with DHC Peptide wire, double entry, using Auray velour pads w/stock pad cloth covering the drivers.  Parametric EQ on the low end via JoeBloggs settings!  WOW!  I also have the the Takstar Pro 80, w/Shure 940 velours, DHC Peptide wire, double entry, WOW, WOW!  I also have the Takstar HI2050/HPT9900 w/Beyerdynamic DT880 velours, DHC Peptide wire, double entry!  Just got the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, in the process of rewire with DHC Peptide wire, double entry!  The DT880 has highs that compare to the Hifiman RE-272, WOW!  I have died and gone to heaven, looking down from above!

Which would you recommend before the recable and which after the recabel? also could you turn these into detachable cables? 

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #619 of 698

There is also a V1 model which seems like the MM163 with MM185 pads.
If this is the only difference than there are a number of similar pads that can be purchased separately.

As for V2, it is stated that the driver is smaller than MH463 - 42mm vs 50mm, but the impedance is higher - 54Ohm vs 45 ohm. The sensitivity rose 2dB, 95dB instead of the 93dB in the MH463.

Is a smaller driver better? Also would the 54ohm be powered by just a laptop or a sony walkman?

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #620 of 698
That's promising as I will be using them at home aswell! Are they good for films aswell?

Of course they are very good for films too, because the soundstage is huge. Just keep in mind that they are open style, so your family will be hear your soundtracks too. :)
About impedance: v2 is perfectly powered by my Fiio x3 II on low gain, so I think that could be enough power from laptop.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #621 of 698
That's great! That's the main reason I wanna buy these, to try out what soundstage and open headphones soundlike without blowing some cash on fidelio x2, dt880's or he400's  I'm still in dorms for a few months so I'm good to go for open headphones  :wink: 
I don't have a Fiio amp so maybe I should just get the mh463 for now, they are 15£ cheaper than the V2 on aliexpress. Although it would probably need earpads aswell which would bring the cost to the same. :/

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #622 of 698
That's great! That's the main reason I wanna buy these, to try out what soundstage and open headphones soundlike without blowing some cash on fidelio x2, dt880's or he400's  I'm still in dorms for a few months so I'm good to go for open headphones  :wink: 
I don't have a Fiio amp so maybe I should just get the mh463 for now, they are 15£ cheaper than the V2 on aliexpress. Although it would probably need earpads aswell which would bring the cost to the same. :/

Same here, I was looking for something with big soundstage for right price. And I'm very glad with my choice, V2 is really good. Earpads changing is more for comfort, but the sound is a bit improved too. By the way, I bought it on 11.11 with big discount, something about 35€.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #628 of 698
Just found them on amazon £20!! its almost as expensive as the headphone itself
does it still retain the bass?

26.50$ on mp4nation.net. But I quess you can stay with the stock earpads at first, they are not bad at all.
And yes, bass is still in place, enough lowest frequencies, clear and punchy. Maybe a bit softer.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #629 of 698
26.50$ on mp4nation.net. But I quess you can stay with the stock earpads at first, they are not bad at all.
And yes, bass is still in place, enough lowest frequencies, clear and punchy. Maybe a bit softer.

4£ cheaper lol. But at this price thats still quite good lol. I will probably stick with stock when i buy them. at least for a few months. My fc707 used to heat up my ears and make the ends of my ears hurt but the earpad broke in after a while (i've had these for 4 years thought) so i can probably tolerate them lol. I just want the sound that Joe blogs described 

Pros: Awesome sound; top-class subbass with aftermarket pads that seal the ear
Cons: Bad stock pads; clamping force too high for large heads

Link to review thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637699/50mm-driver-open-air-full-size-cans-pop-out-of-nowhere-sound-amazing

Additional notes:
1. Stock sound is neutral with elevated bass but very natural mids and treble and great soundstage.
2. Changing to leather Hifiman pads and taping over the 4 vents around each driver enclosure increases subbass to awesome levels; however midbass to low mids also elevated causing boomy sound
3. The following EQ can be applied to the cans modded in (2) to approach a very natural, neutral sound with very powerful subbass:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back