The SMSL D-6S MQA Audio DAC - Now Available on Apos Audio
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
Hi all,

Here’s another awesome launch by SMSL in the budget DAC category we’d like to share with everyone: the SMSL D-6S MQA Audio DAC. Equipped with innovative technology like the ES9039Q2M DAC and the latest XMOS XU-316 USB controller, this device is set to resonate with audiophiles everywhere.

Product highlights
  • New ESS high-end DAC chip ES9039Q2M for precise sound reproduction
  • Reduced clock jitter with an efficient audio clock processing circuit
  • Built-in specialty-designed low-noise switching power supply
  • Multiple input ports supporting MQA, DSD, and DoP64
  • Qualcomm Bluetooth 5.1 chip for enhanced wireless streaming
  • High-quality gold-plated input and output connectors
  • User-friendly remote control for easy navigation

Here's the link to the blog for more info: https://apos.audio/blogs/news/npa-smsl-d6s-da1

SMSL D-6S MQA Audio DAC.jpg

Last edited:
Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Sep 27, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Please, no more MQA.
I would take it even further and say no more pointless SMSL DAC releases please. I would much rather see something different and more interesting from them. A cheap R2R. An FPGA DAC. A DAC with swappable op-amps. Anything that isn't the same chips on a different chasis over and over again.

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 13
I would take it even further and say no more pointless SMSL DAC releases please. I would much rather see something different and more interesting from them. A cheap R2R. An FPGA DAC. A DAC with swappable op-amps. Anything that isn't the same chips on a different chasis over and over again.
yes. or just more features. hdmi arc, trigger in/out, peq, etc.

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 13
Or maybe better sound for less money? Regardless on technology? There is a chance that's the point of D-6s.
Instead of swapping opamps I am rather switching HQPlayer filters. There are many ways how to listen to music.

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Please, no more MQA.

+1

SMSL, don't support killer of free unencrypted audio formats, don't support killer of free DSP, don't support fooling about lossless, 'how artist intended' etc.

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Or maybe better sound for less money? Regardless on technology? There is a chance that's the point of D-6s.
Instead of swapping opamps I am rather switching HQPlayer filters. There are many ways how to listen to music.
The problem is that they keep putting out similarly priced, similarly sounding, similarly featured DACS and amps on an almost monthly basis. It's pointless.

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 13
It's December 12th (how long since the launch of the product?), I received the unit, still no mention of the product (and drivers for it) on their website. It works with their general XMOS 5.58.0 but I would expect better support.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 13
Ordered one. Will report back.

Apr 1, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 13
And now look at this thing. I'm happy with my D6S. There's a review where a guy was using it with an iCan Phantom and a Susvara, and said it was fine- as a DAC it comfortably performed at that level. When I saw the D6S I felt that I'd waited long enough for just the right new product to come along... and now looky here.
Damn the Chinese release blitzkrieg.

202403281443554934.jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 13
Does the D6s DAC allow its volume also be controlled by computer OS' system volume fader, when connected via USB?

(Would I be able to control its volume internally in macOS/OS X with my Apple keyboard volume shortcuts? I think this is called USB HID volume control.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back