The SkeletonDAC
Apr 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #76 of 222
Forget what I said about it not working on the Mac.  It works fine from there also.  It just does not do the whole installing drivers kind of thing that the pc does. 

BK,

Try reflowing the chip.  Mine did not work the first time.  I got the unknown usb device message.  I hit all the pins again and it has worked great ever since. 

Compared to my other projects this weekend this was a breeze.  If I'm going to do much more smd stuff or IEM repairs I may have to invest in a stereo microscope. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #77 of 222
OK, just reflowed the chip after flooding with liquid flux.  Quite a challenge with the taller components installed.  That fixed it!

It's now properly recognized in XP and also on a Mac.

Now to wire up the output and give a listen...

BK

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #80 of 222
Check for 1.something volts DC at the DAC side of the output cap.
If there is no DC voltage there then keep re-flowing until there is...

Quote:
It's up and running, but no sound from the R channel.  Will need to track down the problem.

BK

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #81 of 222

Quote:
Check for 1.something volts DC at the DAC side of the output cap.
If there is no DC voltage there then keep re-flowing until there is...

Good call.  Getting 1.6V on the working L channel, and 0V on the non-working R channel.  I'll reflow the chip pins associated with the R channel and try again.  Those short board pads are a real bear to deal with and inspect.

BK

** edit **

Mission accomplished!  Two channels are way better than one.  Reflowed several R channel DAC pins and fixed a solder bridge I introduced with the reflow (doh!).  Now getting 1.69V at both caps and it makes really beautiful music.  Very impressive, actually.  I think this one is ready to go to Afghanistan.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #82 of 222

You should check the filter caps too to make sure they have continuity back
to the chip. I had problems with several pins that looked good but had
no continuity. Check the voltage at the pin and make sure the same voltage
shows up at the filter caps.

Quote:

Good call.  Getting 1.6V on the working L channel, and 0V on the non-working R channel.  I'll reflow the chip pins associated with the R channel and try again.  Those short board pads are a real bear to deal with and inspect.

BK

** edit **

Mission accomplished!  Two channels are way better than one.  Reflowed several R channel DAC pins and fixed a solder bridge I introduced with the reflow (doh!).  Now getting 1.69V at both caps and it makes really beautiful music.  Very impressive, actually.  I think this one is ready to go to Afghanistan.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #83 of 222
It seems digikey is out of L1, is there an alternate? I found this, although 600mA and 420 mOhm:  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=445-3654-1-ND

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #86 of 222
Apr 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #87 of 222
well mines up and running! playing tunes right now! I used Wima 1uf on the output since I dont plan on using it to drive head phones. This is such a simple little guy it only took me about 1.5 hours to assemble! case work not done yet as I will save that for another day, I just needed to get it done so I could unplug my pup1 and add the 2.5v reg i got with my digikey order! now both are running full tilt, I think I will have an Erik DAC showdown this weekend!

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #89 of 222
I'm currently using a Bantam DAC with a Mini^3 amp on my laptop driving Grado SR80 and I've been meaning to finish building a Carry Amp/GrubDAC combo. It certainly would be easier to just build a SkeletonDAC and would less to carry around. How does the sound quality of it compare to other DAC/Amp combos. Can it drive low impedence headphones as well as a standalone amp?

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #90 of 222

Here it is all cased up.  It was a very tight fit and I had to change the output caps to the 100uf's.  I think it actually sounds better now.  I've been using it for for a little over a week now and I'm right now listening to Leonard Cohen Live In London which I've listened to constantly since I bought it and I now here little details in the songs that never noticed before.  I have stopped what I was doing a couple of times just to listen because I heard something new.  The more I listen the more I like it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back