The SkeletonDAC
Dec 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #212 of 222
Yes, but truthfully - at the quality level of the SkeletonDAC, I have not found the sound to suffer noticeably by just using the volume control in the media player.  I happen to use Foobar2000 for everything and perhaps that's better than most.  I don't know about other media players, but I can tell you that when using Foobar, it's not a problem using the Foobar volume with the SkeletonDAC.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #214 of 222
  ok, but if i want to control directly on the amp, how would i do that?? is there a way to hook up a knob to the amp? Or would it be a hassle trying to control volume on amp??

Thanks!

When Avro said "... your amp," he was not referring to the built-in amp of the DAC chip.  He meant that the SkeletonDAC is typically connected into a separate headphone amplifier.

As I stated above, one of the options is that you can use it directly with headphones (preferrably with large caps on the output to prevent cutting out the bass).  So, you could rig up some sort of attenuator/volume pot on the outputs, but truthfully, it's a lot easier to use the media player volume and it's not going to make a noticeable difference with the SkeletonDAC

Remember that you probably paid less than $25 for parts and PCB.  The SkeletonDAC gives great performance for its price, but don't expect an audiophile masterpiece.
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #215 of 222
The simplest way would be to buy an extension cable with volume knob built-in. Maybe $5-10 from radio shack.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #216 of 222
Ok, i'm almost finished building! I have some questions, they are VERY BASIC, but I  cant find the answers to these anywhere (it's always just assumed that you know):

1) Where do i solder in a connector for 3.5mm jack output? the construction guide doesn't mention where.
2) What exactly is the cable DAC version? Is that simply you plug skeleton into computer via USB, and the computer uses the Skeleton to convert the binary into voltages, then outputs the sound through the computers built in amp and out  computers headphone jack/speakers as normal? Essentially, ONLY using the DAC as a DAC...

Where can i buy the headphone out component to solder on my board??

Ideally, I want to use the DAC as only a dac, then i want to output the dac into an amplifier of my choice... ( i dont want to use the rubbish on board amplifier of the computer)

Thanks for any help!!!
I want to post picture but it says my account doesn't have permission :/

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #217 of 222
I replied to your PM but i will post the link here for future reference,

For the 3.5mm socket i used one of the following, if i had to guess i would say the first one.

http://www.mouser.ie/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=161-7400-EXvirtualkey11180000virtualkey161-7400-EX
http://www.mouser.ie/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=4832.2300virtualkey69300000virtualkey693-4832.2300

The image below shows the output terminals labelled (Right, GND. GND, Left).

You can either connect those pads to separate RCA sockets, or as i have done to a 3.5mm stereo headphone socket.

As for the "CableDAC" version, i think you are confusing the GrubDAC with the SkeletonDAC.  On the GrubDAC a USB cable is connected to the board, and then another cable for the audio output with RCA plugs on it.   Due to the extra space inside the SkeletonDAC you can squeeze a USB & SPDIF input socket, and the 3.5" mm headphone into the main enclosure as i have done instead of having cables hanging out of the enclosure.

Hope that helps..

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #218 of 222
Good answer!  Thanks!

I think it's my fault about the CableDAC option.  I had planned to do a web page on making a SkeletonCableDAC, but never got around to it.  Unfortunately, the selection for "SkeletonCableDAC" is still on the menu at the SkeletonDAC website.  I'll try to fix that soon.  If nothing else, I'll simply link to the Bantam and GrubDACs, since the methodology is just the same.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #221 of 222
Its the SPDIF input, i.e. digital coax connection.  The isolation transformer (big black square) is part of that circuit which is entirely optional.  I have only ever used the USB connection, but figured it was nice to have so added those parts to the build, in for a penny, in for a pound and all that.

The USB cutout was a tricky job, from memory i started by drilling two 3mm holes, then used a small file to join them together and make the rectangle shape.  The plastic is soft and easy to cut, just takes the right tongue angle and some patience.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #222 of 222
  Its the SPDIF input, i.e. digital coax connection.  The isolation transformer (big black square) is part of that circuit which is entirely optional.  I have only ever used the USB connection, but figured it was nice to have so added those parts to the build, in for a penny, in for a pound and all that.

The USB cutout was a tricky job, from memory i started by drilling two 3mm holes, then used a small file to join them together and make the rectangle shape.  The plastic is soft and easy to cut, just takes the right tongue angle and some patience.

Agreed.  Drill a couple of holes, then get out a small flat file.  The plastic is very soft.  You really need to watch out for filing/cutting too much away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back