THE SITHEISER : A Fully Modded Sennheiser HD590 (w/pics) - cable upgrade
Apr 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering why the twist in the cable would cause the bass to be less pronounced?
confused.gif

USG

d-_-b

If I tell you, I would have to kill you afterwards
wink.gif
. I make my living out of designing things like interconnects. Your cable wiring method suits bass heavy/tapered tops headphones quite well. The HD650 would be a prime example that could benefit from such a mod.

Next time you make up another set of cables like this, try a braided twist as well between the earth and L&R. Silver plated wire can also add an extra "twist", if you pardon the pun
biggrin.gif

If I had to give you marks for the mod I would make it at least 8 out of 10.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 33
Germania, nice job! Definitely looks like a big improvement over what was there before.

And I have never heard a headphone yet where recabling did not make a significant difference - it always does. Stock cables are pretty universally awful. The JVC DX1000 is one of the few headphones that has a really excellent stock cable.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #23 of 33
Yeah,

I used a hot knife and files to create a dual entry - that was another mod. Robert, If you would like this done to your HP, just PM me as I ma interested in getting more experience.

I also made the cable so that if I ever wanted to change the plug or remove it, that the cable would be 100% in tact. I am assuming that this is what cables makers also do.

I knew that this braid would help lighten these up a bit and I am very pleased that it just balanced everything better.

I am going to try some interesting twists and braids tp see what some differences are. The way that these are set now makes them perfect guinea pigs because of the asy solder posts and removable grills.

Next I want to try some mini-quad and see what I can do with that. I originally just got the bulk wire to start making some IC's and hopefully an iPod LOD that fits my system.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #27 of 33
Nice job, Germania. I have the 590's too, and I always hated the stock cord...way too long, thin, and the single sided aspect always annoyed me, but the detachable nature was always cool for portability. I just got some 650's, but I really like the sound on the 590's. In contrast, they are a bit darker with less detail than the 650's, but are nice and warm. What would you charge for something like that, if I were to take you up on the offer? Would you use other cable materials, like silver, or silver plate copper, or different plugs, like Cardas or anything? Would I have to provide my own materials?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back