The Sheep Effect
Jan 27, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #31 of 51
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

The title of this thread is a anthropomorphism.

The true idea is that there are actually human otters and lions. The "sheep" effect is actually a response which takes place due to other sub personality traits.

These animal behaviors can be reduced down to personality traits which are easy to describe. No need to try and describe the animals themselves.

1) Dominant
2) Paced
3) Ego
4) Structured

The number 3 sheep will follow because it looks good and is accepted as correct by the group. These are some of the most sheep like people.

The number 4 sheep will have to have all the info in order and it must all be correlated before following the heard

The number 1 sheep does not follow unless he or she sees personal logic in what the group does. Results are what moves this sheep in any direction.

And finally our 2 sheep which will only join the heard at the right time.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #32 of 51
  Yes  had tried that one too. In that moment I was not impressed.
Does it offer the possibility to load VST plugins? I am not sure I could be good without my actual VST chain on Foobar.

I have refused to use Win10 after a couple of days of free upgrade. Never ever imagined I would refuse a free upgrade of anything.
And I am one of those who felt ok with Vista and even better with 7, so, not a conservative.
But the violations of privacy, bloatware and being forced to link account like in Android, and all that useless touchscreen stuff, plus the lesser configurability of the system, made me hate the 10.
Pity if it sounds better.

Did it not sound different to you? Try using the settings I linked to if you still have the free trial. I don't know about the plugin capability. I believe it does, but am not sure. Read the manual to check.

I use a laptop and think Windows 10 is superior in every way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

The title of this thread is a anthromorphism.

Actually, no. From your own link:

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, and intentions to non-human entities

What you are thinking of is zoomorphism, which can involve:

1. Attributing animal form or other animal characteristics to anything other than an animal; similar to but broader than anthropomorphism
  2. The tendency of viewing human behaviour in terms of the behaviour of animals, contrary to anthropomorphism, which views animal or non-animal behaviour in human terms

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #33 of 51
Did it not sound different to you? Try using the settings I linked to if you still have the free trial. I don't know about the plugin capability. I believe it does, but am not sure. Read the manual to check.

I use a laptop and think Windows 10 is superior in every way.

Actually, no. From your own link:

What you are thinking of is zoomorphism, which can involve:

I thought it was looking at humans in anyway other than human. You could say, that person acts like a dog, thus a zoomorphism and a anthropomorphism. That person walks like a tractor, anthropomorphism.

Sadly though you personally missed the point of what I wrote which helped me make over $100k a year working with what made people tick and how to understand them. But that's just what ever animal you are?

Just like encyclopedia metalium, there not right 100% of the time.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #34 of 51
I thought it was looking at humans in anyway other than human. You could say, that person acts like a dog, thus a zoomorphism and a anthropomorphism. That person walks like a tractor, anthropomorphism.

Sadly though you personally missed the point of what I wrote which helped me make over $100k a year working with what made people tick and how to understand them. But that's just what ever animal you are?

Just like encyclopedia metalium, there not right 100% of the time.

The simple definitions are right there in front of you.

Anthropomorphism is attributing human traits to non-humans, while zoomorphism is attributing animal traits to humans.

I didn't miss the point; I just didn't quote that part because that's not what I was replying to.

I am curious what career made you six figures a year.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #35 of 51
  Maybe something similar happens with the guys who claim to be able to perceive a difference between this and this player, this and this thing, those who can perceive very clear improvements with this or that optimizer software, etc.
Not saying there are no differences. Just curious how many of those who say to hear them really hear them or just want to hear them.

Maybe you can scan the papers :)
Nice example anyway. It makes sense. But it also depends on the kind of thinking of the subject. Those with a better lateral or critic thinking (who are always trying to think in which other ways something can be done) would probably not be so affected by seeing a bad example. But the others would probably feel somehow "forced" to stick with the kind of approach and would just try to make it better. Being obedient and stay between the line, as they were told to since kid.

If I get back to the client site that had them I will. There may in fact be some web reference out there, I just have not looked.  The thing of it was these were engineers in the making who were being trained in creative thinking and they succumbed to the negative input at the aforementioned rate. What chance does the average untrained consumer have against the enormous marketing hype of something like Beats or whatever?

LOL! I love funny nicknames.

I will have you know that I am sitting on my comfy door as we speak.
tongue.gif

I know what ya mean. I've experimented with many programs. The only player that I am 100% sure sounds different from the others is HQPlayer, but it's a DSP player. (Here are the settings I used.) It somehow does make music sound more realistic to me, but it's expensive and the interface is just awful.

Here are some interesting measurements that indicate programs like JPLAY and Fidelizer don't make an audible difference:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/08/measurements-audiophile-sound-and.html

He also tested Windows 10 with the same conclusion...but for some reason, when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the sound quality dramatically improved! And I made sure that no Windows audio enhancements were activated and that I was using the same bit-perfect software and settings. Some people think it's a driver issue.

Yes but does the door have good PRAT?:)

I read a lot of those "Better than... Hits well above the price point..." Type threads. Nowhere near as many as I used to as it is almost a study in behavioral science. I have my own personal little bargain gems, but generally keep them to myself as with audio there are too many variables involved that never get mentioned.
Who is doing the reviewing?
What are they listening to? If its utube vids then that is not really good source for an evaluation.
Fit  I am shocked at how many people do not know how to "Tip Tune" or find the right seating for an in ear phone. You can vary the sound sig on just about everything that you stick in your ears by adjusting the fit and playing with tips. Without even taking into consideration the listening skills of the user, any IEM review I read gets treated with skepticism as I have no idea how it has been fit by the user.
Source and amping. I tend to look at the exercise from the whole food chain point of view. The final listening device is but one component. You can get a pretty good idea of one phone vs another by reading a review done by the same person with the same equipment but in all fairness it's a review of an entire system not just a headphone or IEM. Chances are high you are not going to hear what the reviewer did.

The software thing is a puzzler as any difference needs to be dramatic to be heard and once again, where in the food chain is the difference located?  Foobar through my portable amps sounds a lot different than through the desktop amp which is different from anything else. The Galaxy S3 running Hiby or Neutron is different from the S4 in the same config.

Then you get into VST implementation. Foobar is different if the VST's are loaded externally in another wrapper than through its own interface. Latency can be an issue. On one dac config I use buffering will make a difference from having a wav sound like an MP3 file to sheer bliss. SQ again takes a dump on my old XP unit (it's still around as an MAudio board I use requires it) if disk space goes below a certain level.

In today's computer systems there is so much going on, contention across the buss, internal RF interference, the fact that no one even Microsoft knows what the OS is really doing once it's out in the wild.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #36 of 51
I read a lot of those "Better than... Hits well above the price point..." Type threads. Nowhere near as many as I used to as it is almost a study in behavioral science. I have my own personal little bargain gems, but generally keep them to myself as with audio there are too many variables involved that never get mentioned.  
Foobar is different if the VST's are loaded externally in another wrapper than through its own interface.

hehe. I actually never saw you before until that "your favorite not the best headphones" thread.

And yeah...there are far too many variables to know much of anything sometimes. I just try to listen myself and see how I like it.

So when you use VST plugins the external way, they sound different? I did not know that!

Can you link me to guides? Also, can you list which plugins you use and what they do?

By the way, I enjoy your writing style!

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #37 of 51
1) Dominant
2) Paced
3) Ego
4) Structured

But, if a sheep follow other sheeps because they do the same (s)he wants to do, is this really "following"?
One does not have to contradict the masses at any cost, either, right?

Did it not sound different to you?

Not really. But there was so much to set, and I may have got confused.
I will give it a try later on, when I have more time and money, and more experience to understand how to set it and hear the differences.
Right now I may miss to perceive its full potential.
Anyway, in the other thread you said that upsampling is bulls..t, but HQ Player does that. Just, on the fly.
Right?

@Hutnicks, yeah, no chance.
Hey, I also want to know more about external vs internal vst in Foobar!

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #39 of 51

hehe. I actually never saw you before until that "your favorite not the best headphones" thread.

And yeah...there are far too many variables to know much of anything sometimes. I just try to listen myself and see how I like it.

So when you use VST plugins the external way, they sound different? I did not know that!

Can you link me to guides? Also, can you list which plugins you use and what they do?

By the way, I enjoy your writing style!

Thanks.

I will go through the config when I get back to that machine. I have tried just about every VST I can get my hands on at one time or another. Largely to try and get some spacialization happening. In the end I suspect it is the audio equivalent of "suspension of disbelief) the audio cue's are there that give the illusion of spacialization but once your brain twigs to it it's gone and until some new stimuli (software) comes along, the thrill is gone.

On a sort of flipside, we are now starting to understand just how we actually hear and percieve sound. A large amount of work has been done recently that explains why headphone listening is a very hard  arena to get immersive sound out of. Google Evelyn Glennie, I think her TED talk is still up on utube, she has massive insight into perception of audio. She is a world class percussionist who has recorded with some amazing orchestras. She also happens to be deaf.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #41 of 51
  This thread went bonkers. 

I agree.

Somebody started and the others followed like sheep. Why?
(I am a genius I know. Now we are back on track).

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #42 of 51
  I agree.

Somebody started and the others followed like sheep. Why?
(I am a genius I know. Now we are back on track).

It's called going with the flow:)

An excellent example of Ovinemorphization would be the Sony MH1 thread. Wherein due to the participation of someone who may or may not have been involved in the original design gave instant credibility to a 10 dollar IEM which suddenly rose to mythic levels of performance rivaling the AKG K3003. In this case we see the consensual masses buoyed up by the input of an alleged authority figure.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #43 of 51

It's called going with the flow:)

An excellent example of Ovinemorphization would be the Sony MH1 thread. Wherein due to the participation of someone who may or may not have been involved in the original design gave instant credibility to a 10 dollar IEM which suddenly rose to mythic levels of performance rivaling the AKG K3003. In this case we see the consensual masses buoyed up by the input of an alleged authority figure.

I will not comment on my experience with the guy of Fidelizer, please do not insist.
But yeah, when the authority, designer, programmer etc is there, this will cause either more attacks to the product or more love for it (and even a lynching attitude to who opposes to it).

And, other mass effect, the guy of Gizmodo writes about the connectivity problems of the Sennheiser M2AEBT (a bit too much tabloid scandal and demagogic attitude in my opinion, but somehow he had his arguments, as there was a real defect), and the whole world wants to send the thing back, also people who had no problem.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #44 of 51

I will not comment on my experience with the guy of Fidelizer, please do not insist.
But yeah, when the authority, designer, programmer etc is there, this will cause either more attacks to the product or more love for it (and even a lynching attitude to who opposes to it).

And, other mass effect, the guy of Gizmodo writes about the connectivity problems of the Sennheiser M2AEBT (a bit too much tabloid scandal and demagogic attitude in my opinion, but somehow he had his arguments, as there was a real defect), and the whole world wants to send the thing back, also people who had no problem.

Shouting something or someone down is a real phenomenon. The politician Oswald Mosley (Facinating study that) used it in British Parliament and almost succeeded in bringing a facist government to power. Simply taking an offensive attitude no matter if it was right or wrong, true or false, moved the impetus to his side and garnered an immense amount of support.

The other great example here in this forum is the Tera Player. The guy raises the price 10X of what it originally cost and folk actually defend it. So then can we take it that If Sennheiser were to up the HD800 to 16,000 dollars US it would be a better product? Would a 50,000 dollar SR009 gain new accolades?

Then as the grandaddy of them all we have the O2 amp. Nothing polarized the industry and forums like some upstart actually putting his engineering skills where his mouth was
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #45 of 51
  Shouting something or someone down is a real phenomenon. The politician Oswald Mosley (Facinating study that) used it in British Parliament and almost succeeded in bringing a facist government to power. Simply taking an offensive attitude no matter if it was right or wrong, true or false, moved the impetus to his side and garnered an immense amount of support.

Taking a defensive attitude also work. Some make a big drama to let people think they were mistreated. When the supposed offender start being pissed off by all this drama the "victim" says "you see, you see, he IS aggressive!".
I personally prefer your Oswald, because the defensive method is much more perverse. The offensive one only convinces the public, but the defensive one uses psychological paradoxes to completely twist the reality and aims not only to persuade the masses but even make you believe you really did something wrong.

On a bigger level, other delicate theme, Israel is the universal master of manipulative victimism. Hiding behind the holocaust they think they can do whatever they want and nobody can criticize them or he is an anti-Semite. (EDIT: being a delicate theme it may be worth mentioning, no, I am not anti-semite, and yes, i also find that the Holocaust was an horrible thing)

A variation of Oswald (which I believe may have been inspired by The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument of Schopenhauer, which I have finally never read, maybe I should) is the marketing strategy of "if you have nothing to say, say it louder".
People think that if you are convinced of yourself, you must have good reasons. And that if you are insecure, you probably are not worth much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back