The Sennheiser "veil"
Feb 4, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #301 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I heard a hd650 and a 325i amped for the first time yesterday at a fellow headfiers house and i must say... the veil was quite apparent. strange thing is i listened to the hd650 first and was fine but couldnt hear the veil but after i did side by side comparisons trying to listen to different nuances and sounds thats when i heard it and it made me sad at the 650s.

Yep... that's the only way... you'll clearly notice it - is to compare them to Grados, or ATH's, or perhaps AKG's... or even the HD600's with the right set up, upgraded cable, and de-veiled. If you don't make those comparisons... you'll think... "what veil."

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #302 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep... that's the only way... you'll clearly notice it - is to compare them to Grados, or ATH's, or perhaps AKG's... or even the HD600's with the right set up, upgraded cable, and de-veiled. If you don't make those comparisons... you'll think... "what veil."

What your ears have got used to...

When I compared SR225 and HD650 few days ago I noticed it once again. I first listened to SR225 for an hour and then switched to HD650. Of course it sounded muddy, warm and fuzzy first. But when I listened to them for little longer I once again found the sound which I love. Then after long listening I change to SR225 and suddenly they sound very thin and unbearably bright. That's they way it is...

SR325i vs. HD650 is quite extreme though. SR325i is the brightest headphone I've heard and HD650 is pretty much the opposite.

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #303 of 372
The 580 series was designed for the accoustics of a concert hall IMHO (where bass carries over more then treble: and you can get a feeling of body with strings and percussions). Keeping to my promise, must include this with every page here:

For those that say Senn fans don't know what veil is because we haven't listened to forward sounding headphones...many of us have...we know they're not as detailed or airy as others: instead they offer an extended range. This is also why they seem slow to some. If you don't like their presentation, don't get them! There is no such thing as a one sized fits all headphone. Shoudn't this be a good thing? More choice I tell you!

This is a good article that may shed light onto why Sennheiser designed the 580 series the way they did (my ears, temperment feel that they're good for concert setting....others like the AKG solution better).

http://www.regonaudio.com/Records%20and%20Reality.html

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #304 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What your ears have got used to...

When I compared SR225 and HD650 few days ago I noticed it once again. I first listened to SR225 for an hour and then switched to HD650. Of course it sounded muddy, warm and fuzzy first. But when I listened to them for little longer I once again found the sound which I love. Then after long listening I change to SR225 and suddenly they sound very thin and unbearably bright. That's they way it is...

SR325i vs. HD650 is quite extreme though. SR325i is the brightest headphone I've heard and HD650 is pretty much the opposite.

Well the only other things I had around to listen to were the hd600s (which I neglected) and my ms1(though i did not have my 1/4 connector so I couldnt do direct comparisons with amping). I liked the hd650 alot though all of my nighwish tracks had some strange darkness to all of them which i could understand for a couple but not for all. The 325is sounded like all the sudden someone boosted my ms1s with a V frequency while having an awesome snap to the music. Then when I went to listen to those details I found myself struggling to hear them on the 650 while they are present on my ms1 and the 325i.
Then when I asked the guy who owned them he just nodded and said that that was the trademark sennheiser veil lol

Now I have the hd590 and I have no noticed this sort of veil in my music though I did notice the mid range was a bit recessed and muffled but that was about it.. so HMM

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #306 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so does any one of you Senn owners actually enjoy the veil?

I think that has already been answered k701 troll
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #308 of 372
Remember... the SR225's (and all Grados) have to be burnt in, and have their bowl pads reversed to achieve their best sound. The SR225's mellow out and sound like the RS-1's. If you just A/B'd them in the store, and didn't reverse the bowl pads... you didn't hear the real SR225's.

The SR325i's are too strident and too heavy. I don't know whether they settle down with burn in, and reversed bowl pads (although I assume they do - but just not as much as the SR225's). I dumped them before burn in, because they were too heavy, and I couldn't imagine their highs would settle down.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #309 of 372
Quote:

Yes, I do.

I use the HD650 with RnB G52 cable driven by the RSA Raptor or Lehmann Black Cube Linear. I also use it directly from the Lavry DA10's outputs with a Zu Mobius.

The HD650 is relatively smooth, warm, dark, bassy and full-bodied. It is non-fatiguing. Compared to other headphones such as the K1000, K701, AD2000, W5000, RS-1 and SA5000, it is relatively thicker-sounding and can seem slower and more sluggish and yes, veiled. There's less detail in the upper-midrange and treble areas. It has less air and treble notes have less crispness.

I tend to listen to the HD650 at a higher volume than other headphones. It sounds better to me when it is louder. I like the HD650's smoothness and body, which can be relaxing and very pleasant-sounding with some types of music such as jazz vocals.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #310 of 372
Quote:

I kind of do, because the "veil" helps with my really horribly-recorded music which is unlistenable on anything more transparent.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #311 of 372
Quote:

What veil?
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #312 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of do, because the "veil" helps with my really horribly-recorded music which is unlistenable on anything more transparent.

Viva La Veil!

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #313 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to use my Senns for that. To hide the harsh highs of bad recordings.

RS-1s with flats also help with that.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #314 of 372
Grado's is nice because you can veil your music yourself with flats when it becomes too fatiquing. With senns they are veiled all the time which some people might find disturbing.
icon10.gif

The good thing about the "veil" is that you can have higher volume without hurting your ears.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #315 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to use my Senns for that. To hide the harsh highs of bad recordings.

RS-1s with flats also help with that.

I find the 325i is better with bad recordings personally. Bad recordings, especially rock ones are hot: meaning they get louder but are less dynamic. So you need something brighter to give them more impact. This really becomes extreme if you go from a poorly mastered rock CD to a well made classical SACD: Sennheisers feed off of sources that have good extension. Compressed and the "veil" becomes more apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back