The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
May 9, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2,762 of 2,918
well i hear they have anew headphone set to be released the day after tomorrow, any guess on what It is?
Probably HD599.5

May 9, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,763 of 2,918
AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser was the three top headphone manufactures in Europe past 1945.
AKG vienna no longer exists.
Sennheiser's future in terms of developing new top headphones is now uncertain.
Only Beyerdynamic remains.
And from the Far East, Japan audio-technica

May 10, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #2,764 of 2,918
Well no one said it was a headphone, but who knows :D
ah yeah... just new audiophile product X huh? but I though anything their consumer line is the ones being cut so isn't an audiophile gear a consumer line? headphones, amps, HD800 and even the HE1 is consumer. Even the right to use the name Sennheiser is given out.
They got a lot to maintain and probably a lot less people are staying to handle it.

What's left are microphones and stuff right? does the headphones in this https://en-us.sennheiser.com/professional-headphones-headsets are all included in that professional focus or not? cause other than the IE IEM line those are all old models there.
Edit: ah... so it's IE900. so that's a new flagship IEM there. man how come the IE in ear get a new flagship sooner than the fumbling HD800 line?

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #2,765 of 2,918
Deleted

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,767 of 2,918
Does anybody know, which kind of tubes the HE1 uses? I have seen pictures with ECC802S, but also with ECC803S? Are all the tubes of the same typ?
Who produces this tubes?
I am really wondering that nobody ask for technical details concerning the HE1.

May 11, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,768 of 2,918
Does anybody know, which kind of tubes the HE1 uses? I have seen pictures with ECC802S, but also with ECC803S? Are all the tubes of the same typ?
Who produces this tubes?
I am really wondering that nobody ask for technical details concerning the HE1.
They are made by Sennheiser and can only be purchased by HE-1 owners. If one goes bad, you have to replace all 8. They also come in a box in numerical order and need to be installed in that order.

May 11, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2,769 of 2,918
I just can`t beliefe that Sennheiser is producing tubes. No way. They just label them.
For sure tubes should be matched, but they look all the same, so it should be no problem to put 8 new ones where ever you want.
For me it looks like a marketing gag.
Did you ever recognize, that there is no clear information about the tubes from Sennheiser? Strange policy!

May 11, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,770 of 2,918
I just can`t beliefe that Sennheiser is producing tubes. No way. They just label them.
For sure tubes should be matched, but they look all the same, so it should be no problem to put 8 new ones where ever you want.
For me it looks like a marketing gag.
Did you ever recognize, that there is no clear information about the tubes from Sennheiser? Strange policy!
Lol and who should cover the warranty if an amateur user messes up with tubes?

May 11, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,771 of 2,918
Is there any other factory, which doesn`t tell which kind of tubes they use?
Or is HE1 for dummies. At least they treat their customers like that.

May 13, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #2,773 of 2,918
It`s with high probability that Sennheiser uses JJ tubes, because JJ is the only factory which makes 802 with CE. And CE is a must today in EU for professional production.
802 is only the long plated version of the ECC82, technically they are the same. Matching these tubes is ok, but not so important, because you don`t need a lot of amplification if the signal comes right from the DAC and ECC802 are not very steep-sided. If you use them for the high voltage of the electrostatic drives, a few V up or town doen`t make a big difference.
One ECC802 costs 25,-€ by the way.

But who would buy a product for 60 000.- if he would know that the „erecting“ tubes sell for 200.-?

May 13, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #2,774 of 2,918
It`s with high probability that Sennheiser uses JJ tubes, because JJ is the only factory which makes 802 with CE. And CE is a must today in EU for professional production.
802 is only the long plated version of the ECC82, technically they are the same. Matching these tubes is ok, but not so important, because you don`t need a lot of amplification if the signal comes right from the DAC and ECC802 are not very steep-sided. If you use them for the high voltage of the electrostatic drives, a few V up or town doen`t make a big difference.
One ECC802 costs 25,-€ by the way.

But who would buy a product for 60 000.- if he would know that the „erecting“ tubes sell for 200.-?
It’s about the whole package.

How much do you think the transistors/op amps in the mordern hundred million dollar fighter jets cost?

they still a very hot product.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,775 of 2,918
I don`t have any problem with Sennheiser charging 60 000.- for the HE1, because it is an outstanding product for sure. And I am wondering, why they don`t sell the set of tubes for 3 or 5 times the price. 999.- is too cheap to keep up the mystic.
But what I don`t like is the way, to sell your customer as an idiot by telling him to put each tube in exactly the same position as described, otherwise you will be stroked by thunderbolt.

By the way: It would be interesting how the HE1 would sound with good old NOS tubes. (There should be a difference if they are amplifying the inputsignal. Maybe no difference, if they just make the high voltage for the electrostatic headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back