The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Feb 18, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,666 of 2,918
It will be great when Tyll gets to run tests on these.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,668 of 2,918

After looking over my notes, there were four reviews that had comments about the source used during an audition.

Headfonia: “Sennheiser suggested bringing your own music and so my trusted AK240 joined me on the trip. I connected my optical cable to the DAC on the rear of the unit and ready I was.”

His words “DAC on the rear of the unit” probably mean he connected the AK240 to the optical input on the rear of the Orpheus, but I suppose it’s possible he’s referring to a separate DAC connected to the Orpheus.

No it was the optical input of the Orpheus2

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,671 of 2,918
Feb 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #1,672 of 2,918
I got to listen to the Orpheus 2 for 15 minutes on Sunday. It was a private session that Sennheiser held on a hotel in Stockholm. The sound was good but not spectacular in my opinion. I actually prefer the sound of me setup with a mod HE6 lol. Am serious!

It was too short listening for me to point out more than the overall character. It should also be taking in to account that I like the sound to be full, natural and the treble to be a bit sweet. The sound of the Orpheus 2 was more on the neutral side with really good clarity and details. The bass was fast and very firm, but didn’t have the last bit of bottom. The sound was truly clean and effortless. The soundstage lacked depth IMO. The Abyss for example has a more 3D and out of the head sound. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,673 of 2,918
15 minutes is a little short but nonetheless original impressions of head-fi members are trickling in. THX for sharing
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,674 of 2,918
I got to listen to the Orpheus 2 for 15 minutes on Sunday. It was a private session that Sennheiser held on a hotel in Stockholm. The sound was good but not spectacular in my opinion. I actually prefer the sound of me setup with a mod HE6 lol. Am serious!

It was too short listening for me to point out more than the overall character. It should also be taking in to account that I like the sound to be full, natural and the treble to be a bit sweet. The sound of the Orpheus 2 was more on the neutral side with really good clarity and details. The bass was fast and very firm, but didn’t have the last bit of bottom. The sound was truly clean and effortless. The soundstage lacked depth IMO. The Abyss for example has a more 3D and out of the head sound. 

s

What no angels appearing wow and for 55 , K I would expect much more lol. Into owns pair of he6 and no stat will make one happy if you like the hifiman . I really do appreciate your view. Now for those who feel I am the grim reaper I am not I am just a does of reality bitter to some .with out herring them I am sure hey are really really good and may be best yet . Way back when I bought my pair of IRS v speakers , they are really good but no angels . Back then it was vinyl and the very beginning of digital , no really good music quality wise . My point is they sound much better now as there is much more music of fantastic quality .but when lesser is laying it's lousy very lousey. This is why I harp on the dsc and the whole chain that is used . With what I have read there will be no angels maybe someone's sandel with a cool sock lol.
Wow that color marble is gorgeous man.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #1,675 of 2,918
well i won't be forming any judgement about the orpheus 2's performance until i have an opportunity to experience it for myself. i think that's only fair. i have no idea if that day will come but i welcome posts from folks who have. this thread needs more of them.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #1,676 of 2,918
Dealer told me he expects mine to be in by Memorial Day,  WOO HOO

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #1,678 of 2,918
Someone has posted some more impressions in the Abyss thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666765/the-jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-impressions-thread/3735#post_12364442

So it seems like if you listen to articnoise and beolab that they may not totally win over planar fans...

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,679 of 2,918
i was surprised by his impressions tbh because the abyss is not the last word in clarity and refinement to my ears. still, interesting take nonetheless.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #1,680 of 2,918
i was surprised by his impressions tbh because the abyss is not the last word in clarity and refinement to my ears. still, interesting take nonetheless.

I was surprised to hear it called warm, because they are supposed to be the most accurate neutral headphones evarr... which is why arcticnoise's comment about neutrality and detail made a fair bit of sense... maybe the tubes do add some warmth and he is used to SS amps? possibly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back