The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Feb 13, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #1,591 of 2,918
I actually said I was keen to hear it - the reason I'm critical is because the price is an obnoxious FIFTY THOUSAND EUROS.  

FIFTY.

THOUSAND.

EUROS.

If you're going to price anything that much higher that the rest of your competition you deserve criticism.

And I notice everyone that seems to be saying the cost doesn't matter to them doesn't actually have the money to buy one.  It's much easier to say you'd spend the money when it's imaginary.

we've been over this. banging on about the price of the orpheus 2 as you have been doing is missing the point and futile. i don't know what you hope to achieve by continuing to do this beyond thread crapping.

IMO the reason why mulder01 has banged on about the Orpheus 2's price so much, is because he's probably bothered it might sound much better than his beloved Abyss.
Now the Orpheus 2 more than likely sounds better than my 009/BHSE/Yggy, but I'm not bothered about that probability.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #1,592 of 2,918
we've been over this. banging on about the price of the orpheus 2 as you have been doing is missing the point and futile. i don't know what you hope to achieve by continuing to do this beyond thread crapping.

I agree. What I want to know is are there any guys who post here regularly (that we can trust as opposed to magazine reviews) that have actually heard the Orpheus 2 in a true personal demo? I have read some magazine reviews and they all say the same thing, 20 minutes use with 3 tracks inc Michael Jackson - Thriller and a Peter Gabriel track. But it takes longer than that IMO and with tracks that person knows really well. To get a handle on the sound I think we need feedback from a member who has an 009 and BHSE or T2 for example or the 009 and KGSShv at the very least.

Personally I am (now) quite positive over the Orpheus 2:

1. If it takes the level of headphone development and sound to a higher level
2. It encourages more investment by others such as Stax in even higher models than currently available to the 'masses'
3. It brings new high end users into the fold, which can have the same effect at points 1 & 2.

I admit, I blew off over his system, and the crazy price. It made me really annoyed TBH. And it is still crazy. But in a mad way I think it is a good thing. My main disappointment is it looks down to the others in the market to catch it up and make something affordable. Sennheiser will probably not be doing that, they didn't 20 years ago so why now. They clearly want to make this system unavailable to most by price and by units made. 

Maybe we will now have a rabbit to chase? But back to my main question, has anyone here heard this system, and just how does it compare to an 009 and the BHSE?

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,593 of 2,918
Now with the Shangri-La at 10K, which can be powered by any electrostatic headphone amp...I'm very curious on how the Orpheus compares with the Shangri-La attached to a BHSE and with a top DAC, the Hifiman headphone looks like very tought competition for this statement product.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,595 of 2,918
To get a handle on the sound I think we need feedback from a member who has an 009 and BHSE or T2 for example or the 009 and KGSShv at the very least.

IMHO Orpheus 2 is of a much higher level, and not only because it costs fifty thousand euros. If it is not connected to an almost equal level source, and if it plays a not very good recording, you can not understand its true value.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,596 of 2,918
  IMHO Orpheus 2 is of a much higher level, and not only because it costs fifty thousand euros. If it is not connected to an almost equal level source, and if it plays a not very good recording, you can not understand its true value.

Is this opinion a review v 009 and a BHSE for example? How do you know it is a much higher level. What amp and 009 have you heard to compare? All shared advice / opinions on this forum are supposed to be real world i.e. you have heard and experienced yourself.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,597 of 2,918
IMO the reason why mulder01 has banged on about the Orpheus 2's price so much, is because he's probably bothered it might sound much better than his beloved Abyss.
Now the Orpheus 2 more than likely sounds better than my 009/BHSE/Yggy, but I'm not bothered about that probability.

On the contrary, I would expect it to be much better than what I have considering they are asking ten times the price.  I don't know where you pull these assumptions from.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #1,598 of 2,918
@astrostar - i can only think of two head-fi'ers who have heard it and jude is one of them. both were effusive about it.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,599 of 2,918
I am sure there will be some opportunity to listen to it in the NYC metro area. I'll take a day off if need be.
You will need to hear it for yourself, anything. There was a LOT of hype about the HEK as well. I listened to it at a meet with Fang B. and got my own impressions.
Whatever the SQ of the Orph.II will be, way out of my league. I do have a very enjoyable set up and no money burn.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,600 of 2,918
 I don't know where you pull these assumptions from.

The posts you've done on this thread are only assumptions, seeing how you've never heard the Orpheus 2, but that hasn't stopped you from writing an umpteen amount of posts about that headphone system.
With that said IMO you should stop posting on this thread until you've actually heard the Orpheus 2, then you won't need to assume.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,601 of 2,918
@ astrostar59: I meant that anyone wants to compare Orpheus 2 to other setups should be very careful to the remaining links of the audio chain (including recordings), because of all innovations and care in Orpheus 2 realization. Until now I haven't heard it (and I don't know if I succeed).

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,602 of 2,918
"IF" you do hit the Florida Powerball , you'll most likely be spending it elsewhere. I know that I will :wink: .

Sex, Drugs, and Rock&Roll
I got my mind right!

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,603 of 2,918
Sex, Drugs, and Rock&Roll
I got my mind right!

Sex ? bah 
Drugs ? Pffft
Senn he1060? Naw
Abyss? Maybe.......

But i do know that for sure that I will invest in property  
wink_face.gif
  and Dreamworks Animation just because i like them.
Also donate half to charity, after all, it is God's Blessing ..............

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,604 of 2,918
The new Orpheus just HAS to be the BEST headfphone system EVER.   
L3000.gif

If it wasn't, then why would the world's GREATEST headphone company ever bother spending 20 years developing it...? 
blink.gif

It stands to reason on ALL levels of logic and sanity.....     
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back