The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Jan 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,426 of 2,918
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #1,427 of 2,918
  You say that the SR-009 and HE1000 are not very far behind the new Orpheus. Is this also true for the HD 800 S?

Based on what amp I'm wondering?  The SR009 can sound good just from the 323S all the way to completely magnificence out of the DIY T2.  At this level, a careful audition must be made side-by-side at great length to be valid using the same source & listening materials.  I appreciate his impressions but the results can varies based on number of factors.   

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #1,428 of 2,918
double posted.  sorry.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,429 of 2,918

Based on what amp I'm wondering?  The SR009 can sound good just from the 323S all the way to completely magnificence out of the DIY T2.  At this level, a careful audition must be made side-by-side at great length to be valid using the same source & listening materials.  I appreciate his impressions but the results can varies based on number of factors.   

This is true even for lesser 'stuff'.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #1,430 of 2,918

At this level, a careful audition must be made side-by-side at great length to be valid using the same source & listening materials.

I would normally agree - if you're going to compare 009 to abyss to hek to lcd4 etc at around the same price range, but when you're talking about something ten times the price, the improvement should be substantial and obvious.  If you had to "carefully audition side-by-side at great length" to tell the difference between a $500 headphone and a $5000 headphone then that would be embarrassing for the $5000 headphone.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,431 of 2,918

I would normally agree - if you're going to compare 009 to abyss to hek to lcd4 etc at around the same price range, but when you're talking about something ten times the price, the improvement should be substantial and obvious.  If you had to "carefully audition side-by-side at great length" to tell the difference between a $500 headphone and a $5000 headphone then that would be embarrassing for the $5000 headphone.

10 times the price on what basis?  The SR009 + BHSE + NOS Tubes + top end source can easily be a 3rd of the cost of the new Orpheus if not slightly more.  But we are not comparing a mid-fi to top end model here.  However, we are talking about highest end models from stax to sennheiser and possibly hifiman.  If the SR009 is released today, I'm sure that Stax will want a lot more money for it.  We should be thankful that the SR009 can be had this cheap thanks to a very weak Yen.  

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #1,432 of 2,918
some common basis is needed:

first impressions (short and typically with lots of uncontrolled 'variables') versus long-term impressions (with selected/fixed 'variables')

and 'later' maybe even

impressions versus analysis

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #1,433 of 2,918
 However, we are talking about highest end models from stax to sennheiser and possibly hifiman.  If the SR009 is released today, I'm sure that Stax will want a lot more money for it.  We should be thankful that the SR009 can be had this cheap thanks to a very weak Yen.  

Or it might be Stax aren't as greedy ( IMO ) as the other two, but time will tell if Stax jump on the band wagon.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,434 of 2,918
All lies and here is why. When recording I dsd there are a few methods to change mixing. First off it's only when you need to change the mix so if you dos few takes there may be none. Next the most proven method is as follows when the engineer moves a lever it does not change of a actually pauses the tecodin process so it's spliced it's done so fast you do not hear it. Now there are a few other methods as PCM then back to dsd but these machines are old now. So some get to say it's not pure. All I can say and I will say no more in the thread is dsd and PCM are sounding very different not saying what's better just different but dsd is close in analog sound. So when people claim it's not pure pause and tell them to explain how it's not. It's a shame the a dac maker would lie that's just not cool

Hm, why would you assume he's lying? There are at least two other possibilities that come to mind right away: either a) he's just plain wrong and doesn't know better or b) you're wrong.
I've actually met Fried in person, and he does not strike me as the lyin' type. Not one bit.

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,435 of 2,918
Maybe accusing him of lying is a bit too harsh. So he is not saying how it really is or something like that. The fact is dsd is pure or pure enough to sound very Diffebt than PCM does.
So why not make your dac be able to play it.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,436 of 2,918
  You say that the SR-009 and HE1000 are not very far behind the new Orpheus. Is this also true for the HD 800 S?

Sorry, I'm not really willing to comment on this. This is because while I did also listen to the HD800S at CES, it was in far worse conditions (exposed to much more noise) than when listening to the Orpheus. I was really only able to grasp the tonality of the HD800S and not much else.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #1,437 of 2,918
  10 times the price on what basis?  The SR009 + BHSE + NOS Tubes + top end source can easily be a 3rd of the cost of the new Orpheus if not slightly more.  But we are not comparing a mid-fi to top end model here.  However, we are talking about highest end models from stax to sennheiser and possibly hifiman.  If the SR009 is released today, I'm sure that Stax will want a lot more money for it.  We should be thankful that the SR009 can be had this cheap thanks to a very weak Yen.  

A Stax sr-009 setup can get very expensive. In fact there have been a few turntable/headphone setups that have already went well past $55k.

This Lcd-3 setup was around $80k.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,438 of 2,918

A Stax sr-009 setup can get very expensive. In fact there have been a few turntable/headphone setups that have already went well past $55k.

This Lcd-3 setup was around $80k.

That was my point that price has little to do with performance on TOTL gears.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,439 of 2,918
I do not see your point. It's headphones and an amp. I would not even Clint the dac portion. In the pics mr b is showing a really cool turntable , preamp for the tt and a some expensive stand and absorbers . So apples to apples you seem to be way off . Am I missing something here. Let's say it is a bhse at 6 and 009 at 6 that's 12 how does this compare to 50k for the o2 setup.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,440 of 2,918
I do not see your point. It's headphones and an amp. I would not even Clint the dac portion. In the pics mr b is showing a really cool turntable , preamp for the tt and a some expensive stand and absorbers . So apples to apples you seem to be way off . Am I missing something here. Let's say it is a bhse at 6 and 009 at 6 that's 12 how does this compare to 50k for the o2 setup.

The BHSE can easily top out at $7.5k including tubes and some people do use 10K + source with the SR009.  That alone is about half the cost of the new Orpheus II system.  Don't forget that the Orpheus system has a build in DAC and that to me is considered as a source within itself.  Why not count the DAC on the Orpheus system when it is part of the system?  The onboard is not and after thought in my opinion...because then it should be left out and not be as part of the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back