The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 3, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #182 of 2,918
  Nice video as always. But the Stax compare should have been left out. I get that comparing to another company is natural and that jude's comparison was brief but it was very one sided. What was the sr-009 amp and source? Price to performance? Omega/T2/Stax dac of yore?

Just me but I think if the sr-009 had a synergistic $20k TT setup, kgsshv carbon and some direct to disc records and the tables would be turned, for half the price. 

You're not asking Jude to say that the Orpheus isn't the mana from heaven?  It's obvious his job is to provide a glowing review and hype this as much as possible.  Regardless, the setup with the box and rising tubes really isn't that exciting.  

It's a bit disappointing to see that part of a 50k setup is using ESS 9018S chip and XMOS.  I mean that's similar to most setups people have.  I have nothing against ESS.  In fact I quite prefer it, but for that price it should be a custom one no?  I'm sure the rest of the implementation is stellar though.  But I just think it's weird Wired chose to highlight those elements.  

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #183 of 2,918
  I don't think dre is living in Compton anymore. More like Beverly Hills.

Yeah according to Google he had recently bought Tom Brady and Gisele's old digs in Brentwood.  That's a pretty sweet neighborhood to live in in LA.  Though it's not THAT far from Compton.  

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #184 of 2,918
  It's a bit disappointing to see that part of a 50k setup is using ESS 9018S chip and XMOS.  I mean that's similar to most setups people have.  I have nothing against ESS.  In fact I quite prefer it, but for that price it should be a custom one no?  I'm sure the rest of the implementation is stellar though.  But I just think it's weird Wired chose to highlight those elements.  

I find the choice of DAC chip and controller puzzling too.

At $50K I'd be expecting something upgradeable and/or down the path of Schiit's Yggdrasil or Chord's FPGA implementations.  

Just my 0.01 GBP ...

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #185 of 2,918
  Yeah according to Google he had recently bought Tom Brady and Gisele's old digs in Brentwood.  That's a pretty sweet neighborhood to live in in LA.  Though it's not THAT far from Compton.  

I grew up in Brentwood. 12515 Cloud Lane. My family built that house.

:)

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #186 of 2,918
  I am aware that it's an amp/headphone combination. But i think that headphones are more finite than speakers when it comes to pushing the boundaries. If i was a millionare (fingers crossed it happens one day
tongue.gif
) i would probably own multi thousand dollar speakers and multi thousand dollar amps/players to go with them...but IMO headphones can't really get any better once you reach Audeze LCD 3 or Stax SR-009 or HD800's or those weird Abysse headphones. I think any increase in performance from then upwards would be minimal and not worth a crazy 55G pricetag...again i'll say it - 15G i'd pay that, 20G maybe. But even if i was a millionare i wouldn't part with 55 just for a pair of headphones and an amp.

And i thought LCD 3's sounded like the voice of god...what more could you want than that!

You can get to $50,000 easily with any of those headphones.

Abyss cans 5k
WA234 amps 16k
Tubes 4K
Mytek Manhatten DAC 5k
JPS labs power cables 2k/ea times 2
JPS labs kaptivator power for DAC 1.2k

This system is $35k. Just swap out that "cheap $5k DAC for a $30k DAC and there you go. Since DACs can reach into the $80k range, one can spend way more than the Orpheus on a system even with beats headphones.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #187 of 2,918
  So,  50000 euro or 55000 dollars or 39000 pound, and no bass boost.

I hope this is a joke, especially if you're referring to the type of bass boost buttons found on certain portable headphone amps. This is a serious audiophile product, not for extreme bassheads. (I admit I'm a part-time basshead.) Boosting the bass can easily be done with a free parametric equalizer, which enables you to pinpoint exact frequencies and SPL levels.

I find the choice of DAC chip and controller puzzling too.

At $50K I'd be expecting something upgradeable and/or down the path of Schiit's Yggdrasil or Chord's FPGA implementations.  

Just my 0.01 GBP ...

An external DAC can be connected via the analog inputs (XLR or RCA) on the back.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #189 of 2,918

Anyways, hey @Rosmadi Mahmood do you have any idea when or where Sennheiser will post some sort of tour dates? Thanks

Where can I hear it? Since there is no way I can afford one

Orpheus v2 or a loaded BMW 3 series.... hm... I guess I can even get a pretty rockin' nearfield system too. Hype is strong on this one. And really that's all it has to be. Since people can only hear this at audio shows. I can't wait to line up for this at next year's AV show in HK.

I'm gna go out on a limb and guess there isn't going to be a review tour.

Fingers crossed, I hope these are going to be at Axpona next year!

If this piece is showing up anywhere here in the NYC area, I'm gonna line up to at least listen to it.
My better half already OK'd the purchase ... in case we do hit the jackpot 
rolleyes.gif

We will be showing the new Orpheus at CES in Las Vegas in January 2016. We want every user to have enough time to experience listening to it. However, only a very limited number of appointments are available. We therefore recommend scheduling an appointment in advance by sending an email to Orpheus@Sennheiser.com. In the course of 2016, the Orpheus will be showcased at other events in Europe, the United States and Asia. Some of them include:

- Prolight + Sound in Frankfurt in April 2016
- HighEnd in Munich in May 2016
- Art Basel in Hong Kong in March 2016, in Basel in June 2016 and in Miami in December 2016
- IFA in September 2016

Additional dates are possible.

Quote:
  @Rosmadi Mahmood

Will this be available through select dealers or only directly from Sennheiser? 

If through dealers, how will they be identified (from a customers perspective)?  

Talks on the exact sales model and processes are currently in planning. The issues of conditions, tester devices and the presentation of the Orpheus at local events will also be resolved in the near future.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 4, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #194 of 2,918

Talks on the exact sales model and processes are currently in planning. The issues of conditions, tester devices and the presentation of the Orpheus at local events will also be resolved in the near future.

Email sent. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back