The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 3, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #46 of 2,918
i hope that Jude have enough money to buy it! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #49 of 2,918
Of course. Not sure why you quoted me. I'm just pointing out that I appreciate someone on this big blue ball has gone through a lot of trouble for that very small percentage of über audio that is apparently so difficult to attain. Judging by Jude's reaction they've come closer. Kudos for trying Sennheiser, it takes money and balls to create a product like this even though the vast majority of the population will never hear it. That's risky.

I completely agree with you. And as others have mentioned, this is important in that stretching the boundaries of technological research certainly does create a trickle down effect in the improvement of their more affordable future gear.  In Jude's praising the sonic qualities of this system, he certainly is not saying "Hey everyone, you really need to go out and take a second mortgage on your house and buy this system".  He's simply describing what he hears, and that, to me, is quite exciting and intriguing.  So no sour grapes about the pricing of this system from me!

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #50 of 2,918
Sweet, now everyone will be selling off their used Orpheus'! Can't wait to snag one at a discount! Lol.

This is a piece of art, a show piece. Not intended for use really. I would guess that the hd800s release is a bridge to Senn releasing a $3k+ HP that has elements of the HE1080...I'm guessing it will be the HD1000.

This "hobby" is crazy. The human body adjusts to its environment so any gear we purchase will always lose its lustre at some point. The pursuit is endless. Thank goodness, it's the reason the aftermarket values are so robust. Turn and burn!

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #51 of 2,918
I don't think it's part of our hobby in the same way it is for Sennheiser. They wanted to make the very best possible, cost no object. That doesn't really change anything for us. If anything, companies have been working to get their best technology into cheaper products, which is good for us. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #53 of 2,918
@jude

Awesome! Thank for sharing.

Two questions. What power cord do they use? Did they buy into the theory that power cords matter?
And can you talk about the cross feed? Did they develop some new great cross feed? Does the fact that it has cross feed validate the concept?

Thanks.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #54 of 2,918
  Summit-Fi isn't high enough now?

Do we now have Orbit-Fi?

TIL the "Fi" level isn't determined by how good the headphone is, instead only by how much it costs.

I always felt the Fi thing is bullcrap, mostly centered around cost, and it looks like I'm right.

The "Fidelity" of many headphones in the $500 range is quite high I'd say. But these f**kers call it "Mid-Fi" just because multi-thousand dollar headphones exist.

Egh.

Also just FYI I don't mean to take away from this great achievement or anything, I'm sure it's amazing. I may actually buy it if/when I'm well off enough personally, considering I've been fortunate enough to have a pretty well-off family which has kept me from ever needing any personal debts and not terribly interested in big fancy houses or cars, maybe someday this and a really high-end computer would be realistic (because my tech is such a bigger deal to me).

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #55 of 2,918
I would be satisfied with just saying that I got to audition it. But we have to be realistic. This is for the rich boys with big toys

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #57 of 2,918
so i guess the real question is, how long before there is a Baby Orpheus II; although even if that was 1/5 of the cost, still largely unaffordable.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #58 of 2,918
Well... Time to sell my house. :D

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #59 of 2,918
What did you guys expect? Having the best of the best costs a lot, we all know that. Costs of research, development, pushing the technology further than anyone else has done...you have to take that into account. This is not a mass produced product like the HD800 that is sold in tens of thousands of units during it's life cycle so the company can have smaller profit margins on each and still make money. It's an all out product, money no object, and that's why the price is so high. This is not a headphone like any other, it's a statement product, it's built to show what CAN be done. Besides, how much does a best sounding speaker system in the world cost? Much more than 50k. And you don't need a special room for a headphone system.

The only sad thing about this is the fact that a lot of people who can afford it, and most people who will buy it, will buy it just because they can, not because they really, really love audio.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #60 of 2,918
I can buy a good home for that price.
Ill stay with stax for my stats needs, thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back