The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 10, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #661 of 2,918
if I heard this and thought it was worth it I would get them. I am doubting both. I think it might be an impossibility for these to match loudspeakers of the same price or more. as much as I like headphones. the analogy of the buggatti is more than one. that car is a piece of junk. I doubt these headphones are junk but I also doubt they can match the best loudspeakers. perhaps the best headphones to be had but price seems out of line. I just cannot see them being seriously better than the sr009. they pretty much hit the ceiling for headphones right there. if I am entirely wrong I would sincerely attempt to obtain a pair. who knows but I am just doubting it. like some tequila. it can be 100x the price of another but not really any better. I am afraid as with the buggatti what one is buying here is status. at least the headphones should "start" every time. I do actually hope I am wrong and these would blow me away. I just see a physical limitation here. I would not get these sight-unseen though. in fact I have demoed all my gear with the option to return. you can look at my posts here and see what kinds of things I am talking about. I am just guessing they will not readily demo these. even totl shops would be hard pressed to stock these I imagine.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #662 of 2,918

Mr. pila405,

There is plenty of solid ground for your philosophy to stand on.  I, myself, am attempting to create greatness.

There are no magical components but there are special skills combined with a personal drive.

I know of a person here in Michigan that creates extraordinary Violins, I know there are others. 

Stradivarius proved it could be done.

If anything, the blind test you quote supports the greatness of the Strads, they used the Strads as the basis for their tests just as I use the Sennheiser HD800 as the basis of my comparisons.  

Itzhak Perlman plays and gives credit to a Guarneri Violin for helping him please his audience to the point of rehiring him for later performances.  ( he owns a large number of high quality instruments ).

Another example is Vince Gill who always has his favorite Guitar on his Road Show ( as does Willie Nelson ).  

I own an example of the Sennheisr HD580 that's close to 20 years old, thats been playing music it's whole life and that is a remarkable transducer system.

I saw one of Tyll's Big Sound Videos where a person describes a very special Audeze headphone.

There will be people coming along to create greatness, to show us it can be done, to inspire us to ever better results in our own efforts.

Eddie Merckx was so outstanding that nobody could equal him but our own Greg Lemond nearly did ( even with some very bad luck ).

If the 1060s become the greatest headphone statement to date, they will serve as a new level for all of the rest of us to achieve.

The 1060s will lead us to greatness.  

Tony in Michigan 

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #663 of 2,918
Sometimes I wish I was a fortunate enough to spend thousands of dollars on audio equipment
triportsad.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #664 of 2,918
My wife's decorator would like to have a hand in placing one of these systems in my home but I'm not worthy.  These 1060 systems should go to people like Joshua Bell who can leverage them into better recordings for all of us.

Tony in Michigan 

Hi there Tony,

I think this is a bad idea. If the recording monitoring is made using the ultimate TOTL (assuming this really holds true...), only people who have the same equipment, will hear the work as the recording engineers - with artist input, have intended it to sound. If it sounds great on real world equipment, then much more people will get the most of it. If details perceivable only with the Orpheus II get lost on lesser headphones, this will not be enjoyable for most listeners.

The Norwegian label 2L (Lindberg Lyd) is using HD800's for monitoring and their recordings sound spectacular.

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #665 of 2,918
  Hi there Tony,

I think this is a bad idea. If the recording monitoring is made using the ultimate TOTL (assuming this really holds true...), only people who have the same equipment, will hear the work as the recording engineers - with artist input, have intended it to sound. If it sounds great on real world equipment, then much more people will get the most of it. If details perceivable only with the Orpheus II get lost on lesser headphones, this will not be enjoyable for most listeners.

The Norwegian label 2L (Lindberg Lyd) is using HD800's for monitoring and their recordings sound spectacular.

It's like making a game designed for GTX 980TI/AMD Fury and runs like crap on GTX 960 or Radeon 280 which most PC gamers probably have at the moment

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #666 of 2,918

Hello Mr.Icebear,

Perhaps there is some truth to your summary.  

However, I have my big base station system singing beautifully annnnnd I've been able to coax my mundane Sennheiser RS120 (walk around wireless headphone) to perform nearly as well. 

I've discovered that paying attention to the mechanical details can result in significant sound quality improvement, even in modest gear.  

Thank you for mentioning the 2L outfit, I'll pursue them.  I have an increasing collection of recent recordings ( on CD 16/44 ) that seem outstanding, better ( in fact ) than older, respected releases.
I'm quite brave in buying new recordings, much more so that the questionable workings of earlier releases.  The Recording Industry is moving to high quality faster than the consumer Audio marketplace is keeping up but the recording industry is aware of consumer purchases of headphones that deliver to higher levels.  5 years ago people aspired to Bose Magic Wave radios, today they can ( and do ) purchase quality in ear monitors for modest prices. 
 In my travels I see people watching Movies on their iPhones, listening to the soundtracks on nice in-ear monitors. 

The Glossy press reporting of High-End Audio dying is ridiculous ( I'm happy to ridicule them for it ), we have only to look around to see our young folks embracing High-End on the sidewalks of any ( and every ) City. 

Tony in Michigan

ps.  I'm seeing High-End stronger than it's ever been, maybe x100!, it certainly is a multi Billion Dollar industry and it's a "Growth" industry.    We Win!!!

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #667 of 2,918

Mr. Icebear, again

I just had a look-see of L2 folks and gear.

Geez, they are using much of my all time best equipment.  I sold B&W 801s & 802s and Electrocompaniet, lovely stuff.   

And they rely on Sennheiser. 

What's not to like?

I'll look for their recordings.

Thank you,

Tony in Michigan

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #668 of 2,918
I do not think many artist will master their tracks with a headphone this expensive and limited.  The craftsmanship is alluring but like most people I will have to pass on this one :wink:

It is clear from the price (including inflation) that Senn is seeking to target the affluent audiophile.  The reasoning behind original Orpheus was not about lining their pockets, and for this reason I am glad they are not calling it the Orpheus II.

Happy listening! 
L3000.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #669 of 2,918

This is an overarching concept, not confined to the headphones space.
Recording engineers make their music with what system they have.

One artist that immediately comes to mind, is Deadmau5. He used to stream his recording session early on, his recording setup was ridiculous.
If you know the artist, you know most of his songs are deep bass type stuff. The drivers he used in his recording studio was an array of different sized woofers. Obviously he's not creating his music for headphones listeners, and to be frank, his music sounds like crap on headphones.

If you really want to listen to his music how it was meant to be heard, you need to use a dedicated woofer.

I'm sure this is true for other producers, they design the song based on the drivers they use.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #670 of 2,918
I wonder , if someones´s ready to spend E 50.000 buying these cans, what kind of source (player, dac, cable) has to use to match this kind of gear?
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #671 of 2,918
  I wonder , if someones´s ready to spend E 50.000 buying these cans, what kind of source (player, dac, cable) has to use to match this kind of gear?
confused_face(1).gif

Needs Amarra or Audirvana+ and a Mac or PC. Done (plus the 50K in green backs).

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #672 of 2,918
  Hi there Tony,

This audiophile classic is also done with the HD800. So  2L is not the only ones using the HD800 for that purpose. I love that development in the recording  world.
We, the owners of HD800, are actually able to hear exactly what the engineers intended with the recording.

see the liner notes;
 Microphones:
Main system: 
Schoeps MK5 AB

Spot mic's: Neumann KM84, Neumann TLM170, Neumann U47, Van Medevoort C1000

Micpre's: RME Micstacy (Analog > MADI)
Microphone cables: Grimm Audio TPR
Master clock: Grimm Audio CC1

Mixing headphones: Sennheiser HD800
Mixing speakers: Grimm Audio LS1

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #673 of 2,918
  Needs Amarra or Audirvana+ and a Mac or PC. Done (plus the 50K in green backs).

..... and you would feed the super special Senn amp directly from an audio cable coming from the MAC?  Please understand me , the idea is good but I don´t think this way your can extract the whole potential from theses supercans. Surely, a dac from dCS receiving signal via USB from the MAC + Audirvana  would do better justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #675 of 2,918

..... and you would feed the super special Senn amp directly from an audio cable coming from the MAC?  Please understand me , the idea is good but I don´t think this way your can extract the whole potential from theses supercans. Surely, a dac from dCS receiving signal via USB from the MAC + Audirvana  would do better justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

You do know this 'take me to your leader' can system has a built in DAC. One can only assume it is really great, the best ever, or why is this thing so much money. Ha Ha,  maybe the inbuilt DAC is pants.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back