The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
May 2, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #2,671 of 2,918
With the HE 1 Instead of being hand made and the materials obtained as an order comes in, you have to wonder how much the $50k would be reduced by on a mass assembly line.
I think also that if the gimmicky things like motorised valve lift / control knobs and lid lift were removed together with other changes we could see a massive reduction in price with very little , if any loss of the original quality of sound. Lets face it, as an audiophile looks come second place to sound quality.

Come on Sennheiser, so many more people could afford this and here's the bonus, you would sell so many many more
i think you're missing sennheiser's point

May 2, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,675 of 2,918
Well, I have both of them. As someone mentioned earlier, if you only buy one go for the HE1. By the way, stax with BHSE is no where near the HE1 in terms of everything.

Then again, the BHSE is a far cry from the KG-T2. If you think BHSE is the best a Stax 009 can do, you are mistaken. Period

May 3, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #2,676 of 2,918
With the HE 1 Instead of being hand made and the materials obtained as an order comes in, you have to wonder how much the $50k would be reduced by on a mass assembly line.
I think also that if the gimmicky things like motorised valve lift / control knobs and lid lift were removed together with other changes we could see a massive reduction in price with very little , if any loss of the original quality of sound. Lets face it, as an audiophile looks come second place to sound quality.

Come on Sennheiser, so many more people could afford this and here's the bonus, you would sell so many many more

AFAIK there is a wait time of several months on one of these, so they WOULD be making them in some sort of decent volume on somewhat of an assembly line (though probably a very careful one). They can't reduce the price now it would be a kick in the pants to the people that have already bought them.

May 3, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,677 of 2,918
i'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. do you know how many have been ordered, the number of people involved in building them or how long it takes to build one? the lengthy wait time could be attributable to a backlog of orders that are slowly being filled due to the bespoke nature of the product and expertise required to build it, which may be very limited even in a company as large as sennheiser. and i doubt that sennheiser has weighed up the pros and cons of a price reduction for its statement product at all.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,678 of 2,918
Well, I have both of them. As someone mentioned earlier, if you only buy one go for the HE1. By the way, stax with BHSE is no where near the HE1 in terms of everything.

I see Viva Audio glove between both systems. Do you own Viva Egoista headphone amp? If yes, with which headphones do you pair it and can you compare it with Shangri-La or HE-1 system?

THANKS

May 6, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #2,679 of 2,918
Recently auditioned HE1 at Sennheiser San Francisco (wrote a review see my signature). Had a full hour by myself with my own track on Surface Pro. The most impressive aspect is how deep the sound stage is. It’s a very realistic sound stage. I’m not sure what’s the most important component in determining the depth of soundstage. Is it the DAC, amp, or the headphone or the combination of all 3. Has anyone heard a system close to the sound stage of the HE1 system?

May 19, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #2,681 of 2,918
@rock416

Any more thoughts after a few weeks? You're the only person I'm aware of to open both.

May 21, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #2,682 of 2,918
@rock416

Any more thoughts after a few weeks? You're the only person I'm aware of to open both.
Yes, the HE1 is getting more and more enjoyable . Probably the tubes are getting run in. My initial impression was preferred with the shangri-la, it really gave you the wow factor. It’s so transparent than the HE1. However, as you listening to both systems everyday, you realise that the HE1 give you the correct sound it should be.

May 21, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,683 of 2,918
Yes, the HE1 is getting more and more enjoyable . Probably the tubes are getting run in. My initial impression was preferred with the shangri-la, it really gave you the wow factor. It’s so transparent than the HE1. However, as you listening to both systems everyday, you realise that the HE1 give you the correct sound it should be.
Some! People is saying Susvara is better than Shangrila. Have you tried Susvara out of an expensive Large speaker setup with hifiman adapter ?

May 21, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #2,684 of 2,918

What other headphones are you using regularly, just for reference?

May 22, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #2,685 of 2,918
Some! People is saying Susvara is better than Shangrila. Have you tried Susvara out of an expensive Large speaker setup with hifiman adapter ?
Yes Susvara is a very good headphone to me. Probably the best headphone that below HE1 and Shangri-la in my opinion. I had a susvara pairing with Viva 845 mk2. That combo was really a reference setup to me. Especially the 845 mk2 with much quieter background noise. However the HE1 and Shangri-la are totally different story, they are so transparent. HE1 does everything greatly with very good dynamic and bass punch’s where Shangri-la really good at high and middle tones. Thus, if you need one system go for the HE1 unless you only listen to female vocals. By the way, shangri-la amp drives stax-009 really nice, it much better than the BHSE with 009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back