The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
May 26, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #2,687 of 2,918
Did you ever get a chance to compare to Sonoma Model One?

May 26, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #2,689 of 2,918
So the sound didn't blow you away compared to other headphones at the price point?

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #2,691 of 2,918
tenor.gif

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,692 of 2,918
Mm...how time flies.....seems only yesterday but my babe is now one year old! (last June 2018 actually).

Still flawless....

Happy anniversary, Babe!

Indeed, the best sound I have heard to date from a headphone. But the LCD4 has a lot of what I liked about the HE-1, in fact the HE-1 demo at Can-Jam last year was why I sold my 009s and Carbon. I realised I needed to go for more body and realism. I heard it on a T+A CDP / DAC combo, maybe better than the built in DAC? No idea. But it did sound very realistic. But since, I have heard the 009s and the LCD4s out of the MalValve 22 tube amp, at Munich this year, and that threw me TBH. Wouldn't buy that amp as it got too hot and was too complex, plus 14K Euros, BUT it sounded marvellous.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2,694 of 2,918
I haven't heard the T2, but I have heard the 009 with the BHSE and NOS Mullards X2/3. The sound of the HE-1 is very different, full bodied in the mids, more layering, less manic micro detail thrown forward in the mix.

IMO best way to sum the HE-1 sound (to my ears) was more realistic and closer to a high end big speaker rig. The 009 is superb but has a kind of odd way to present the music, maybe some like it, others not. But I seem to prefer the fuller more solid mids and smoother treble of the HE-1. The bass on the HE-1 was also deeper and more textured. My sum up of the 009 is a detailed headphone, the HE-1 more like a big speaker kind of presentation.

And this was at Can-Jam in London last year, why I sold my Stax HPs and my Carbon amp. YMMV and personal taste comes into this guys. Keep your mind and ears open, and IMO get a demo with the HE-1, don't take my word for it.....

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,695 of 2,918
I haven't heard the T2, but I have heard the 009 with the BHSE and NOS Mullards X2/3. The sound of the HE-1 is very different, full bodied in the mids, more layering, less manic micro detail thrown forward in the mix.

IMO best way to sum the HE-1 sound (to my ears) was more realistic and closer to a high end big speaker rig. The 009 is superb but has a kind of odd way to present the music, maybe some like it, others not. But I seem to prefer the fuller more solid mids and smoother treble of the HE-1. The bass on the HE-1 was also deeper and more textured. My sum up of the 009 is a detailed headphone, the HE-1 more like a big speaker kind of presentation.

And this was at Can-Jam in London last year, why I sold my Stax HPs and my Carbon amp. YMMV and personal taste comes into this guys. Keep your mind and ears open, and IMO get a demo with the HE-1, don't take my word for it.....

I have seen people being skeptical about Stax because of the rumor “Stax has no bass”. Then people started moving on to Carbon and BHSE, but they are still skeptical that the T2 is a tier above those 2. Anyways , like you said, personal preferences, and listening is believing :D. For the price of the HE-1, it should outperform Stax. Because even with KG T2, Stax is still cheaper than HE-1

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #2,696 of 2,918
Indeed. My opinion is still the HE-1 is very different sounding, so would be very surprised if the T2 made it radically different. The T2 (I believe) has fets on the first stages like the BHSE, one less stage? And SS PS?
The only amp I have heard to radically change the 009 to my own sound preferences was the MalValve, but that is all tube design, no fets anywhere. But that amp was too complex for me to be comfortable in buying it. It made the 009 sound like a different HP entirely.
That amp was also a 'one size fits all' as it could drive Planars as well (really well). But it got very hot and 22 tubes... I would like to ask mr MalValve to make a pure stat amp, that would be interesting.....

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,697 of 2,918
Indeed. My opinion is still the HE-1 is very different sounding, so would be very surprised if the T2 made it radically different. The T2 (I believe) has fets on the first stages like the BHSE, one less stage? And SS PS?
The only amp I have heard to radically change the 009 to my own sound preferences was the MalValve, but that is all tube design, no fets anywhere. But that amp was too complex for me to be comfortable in buying it. It made the 009 sound like a different HP entirely.
That amp was also a 'one size fits all' as it could drive Planars as well (really well). But it got very hot and 22 tubes... I would like to ask mr MalValve to make a pure stat amp, that would be interesting.....

I have no problem when people can not believe that T2 is a tier beyond what BHSE or Carbon can do. I was once there, and I was crazy enough to pull it and got enlightened by it. Therefore I am not surprised of anyone who have not ventured down this road to be skeptical at all :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #2,698 of 2,918
I respect that the T2 is better than the BHSE. What I need to be convinced one day, is the 009 sound very different driven by it. Cory had the Carbon, heard the BHSE, and then sold his T2 soon after getting it. Not saying that means anything. We could do with some guys who have heard both T2 and 009 with the HE-1 in a good demo session to compare. Spritzer was not impressed by the HE-1 v his DIY phones and Aristeus, but I don't listen to that opinion. If someone in the UK had a T2 and 009 to listen to in the Yorkshire.....

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #2,699 of 2,918
I respect that the T2 is better than the BHSE. What I need to be convinced one day, is the 009 sound very different driven by it. Cory had the Carbon, heard the BHSE, and then sold his T2 soon after getting it. Not saying that means anything. We could do with some guys who have heard both T2 and 009 with the HE-1 in a good demo session to compare. Spritzer was not impressed by the HE-1 v his DIY phones and Aristeus, but I don't listen to that opinion. If someone in the UK had a T2 and 009 to listen to in the Yorkshire.....

The only time I may sell my t2 is when I switch to dedicated loud stereos :D. A foreseeable future though, but I will keep it as much as I can

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #2,700 of 2,918
The only time I may sell my t2 is when I switch to dedicated loud stereos :D. A foreseeable future though, but I will keep it as much as I can

I would say never sell it, or only if you have another HP or amp combo that you found more to your liking in the future. I run a decent speaker setup and enjoy both as much TBH. They both have attractive aspects and fit in with my lifestyle as well. Late nights on the headphones is something I will never give up, and maybe a thing many speaker folk don't get or understand? It is part of this niche hobby, and if you get hooked and dig the 'head stage' thing, is a super way to enjoy music IMO. Can't see getting bored with it anytime soon, probably never.

Way back I had the Lambda series and various Stax step up amps, moved through that range. I always had at least a working set of Stax to hand. I let it go unused for a while, but in the last few years since I went part time working, I have more time to listen to music. Besides, look how far top HPs and amps have come in the last 10 years, incredible really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back