The scientific merit of Pono
Sep 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #121 of 318
"Technically, anything that is not info is noise.
tongue.gif
"

Sort of like a weed is any plant growing where you don't want it to grow? 
wink_face.gif

Edit: Curses,  foiled by the page break!

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #123 of 318
  There isn't much high frequency information in modern recordings either. They don't want lots of high frequencies. That will end up distorting in homes with stereos not designed to play it.

There is but it is mostly screwed up, like when those who do mixing and mastering in the studios artificially push treble up to create "lively sound".

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #124 of 318
  You want to see some noise?

I can't imagine that  peak out at 43kHz is a harmonic. 

And to add to the irony, here is what the same song looks like in Audacity:

Not much compression, is there?  Someone took some care when recording and mastering this.

That peak at 43000 Hz looks like an equipment failure, an instrument or a sound processor having an uncontrolled resonance, or even a cable picking up a noise.

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #125 of 318
a spike above 40khz. that song is ruined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deadhorse.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #128 of 318
Just heard Michael Jackson's Bad in high resolution and it is the worst version that exists.  It's painful to listen to. The highs are screechy and bass way too overdone. I just wonder what they were mixing this on, or who thought this might sound good to audiophiles.  

My old version on CD sounds great. I also went to my Google streaming account and found the 25th Anniversary Edition... it was remastered in 2012, and it sounds incredible. Like ear candy. So the HD version is the odd man out, and the one and only Michael Jackson master I've ever heard that plain 'ole sucks. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #129 of 318
I've seen other reports that also conclude that the HI-Rez version of "Bad" is atrocious. 

"Hi-Rez" is a new and completely unregulated area of music.  Frankly, my expectation is that hucksterism and shady dealing will be the rule in this area until either the major OEMs become self policing (Hah!) or some other governing body steps in to protect consumers.

Until then, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #130 of 318
Glad I'm not the only one who mentioned it. I don't have faith in OEMs or governing bodies, and not sure how they could regulate whether a master would suck or not, only that one be different from other versions perhaps. I'm starting to think the best place for music is garage sales and used record shops. The old CDs and vinyl sound the best to me because of the mastering, and between that and streaming I think I'm good to go. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #131 of 318
I heard the majors, the american congress, and speedy gonzales are working on high res regulation as we speak. (only speedy gonzales can check if the tracks are really 192khz).
they will pass a clear and fair law worldwide with the UN, right after they've dealt once and for all with gun regulation and joined the united nations of canada.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #132 of 318
  I heard the majors, the american congress, and speedy gonzales are working on high res regulation as we speak. (only speedy gonzales can check if the tracks are really 192khz).
they will pass a clear and fair law worldwide with the UN, right after they've dealt once and for all with gun regulation and joined the united nations of canada.

-...and peace in our time. :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #133 of 318

Actually, you can check yourself by looking in Audacity.  Snark aside, can you suggest a better way for the market to respond to garbage being sold as "Hi-Rez" other than individuals posting their own experiences? 

Edit: Oh, and by the way, you can pry my weapons away from my dead hands.  I assure you, my weapons will still be hot.   

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #134 of 318

Actually, you can check yourself by looking in Audacity.  Snark aside, can you suggest a better way for the market to respond to garbage being sold as "Hi-Rez" other than individuals posting their own experiences? 

Edit: Oh, and by the way, you can pry my weapons away from my dead hands.  I assure you, my weapons will still be hot.   

well quality of mastering is a delicate value to put a number on. so I would already be very happy with knowing what master I'm buying when I get an album, an anniversary one, a best of, a japan import, a DSD or some hires version from whatever online service.
so a clear label would help, something like the year/studio/engineer from the master in a really clear way, something we could track, talk about, share the name of someone to avoid after hearing a few of his clipping jobs.
making the ones doing great job famous(really famous, not inside industry famous).
it would be a way to regulate products and push the industry into doing the right thing naturally as they're not all idiots and will always follow the money.
I'm sure this could become a thing like the DR database where we could see what master to look for or at least what master we should run away from.
that's for masters.

now high res, well I'm not into hires myself so they will not get my money even if they become legit. but forbidding publications of "upscaled" redbook albums would be the very basis of a rule to follow. if they don't have a 24/96 studio copy in good shape to work on, then they shouldn't even think about making an hirez version available for sale. from what I know, making fake products is still not a legit thing to do. yet they do just that and sell it for extra money. it should be possible to have legal actions against thieves making fake products. instead we get a funky "we offer what the studio gave us, we no guilty, you trust!" that sounds just like "I didn't know about the 2kils of cocaine in my bag officer, I thought it was grandma's pudding". so I don't get why the first ones get away with it.

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #135 of 318
  Just heard Michael Jackson's Bad in high resolution and it is the worst version that exists.  It's painful to listen to. The highs are screechy and bass way too overdone. I just wonder what they were mixing this on, or who thought this might sound good to audiophiles.  

My old version on CD sounds great. I also went to my Google streaming account and found the 25th Anniversary Edition... it was remastered in 2012, and it sounds incredible. Like ear candy. So the HD version is the odd man out, and the one and only Michael Jackson master I've ever heard that plain 'ole sucks. 

maybe the mastered the hi-rez version on a pair of beats or smtg =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back