The scientific merit of Pono
Mar 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #271 of 318
  It would come down to a comparison between specs (amplifier output @ various loads, output impedance), UI,  features, and design preference, assuming transparent performance between both devices. 

None of which have anything to do with the sound quality of the player itself.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #272 of 318
Mar 1, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #273 of 318

OK...what are the applications of this product?

Will the USB port accept a hard drive with music files (ISO DSD DSL FLAC) or is it just for powering?
Does it have a headphone output?
Can it be adjusted for pushing different HPs (especially the 650's)?

Enquiring minds need to know :)

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Audio-GD+NFB+5

...more or less. :)

LOL!
What a smart A S S !!

OK...i got THIS..".USB socket: For USB input."
How the F... does that tell me if the input is for power of files?

Most of us here are here to get answers from people who own this crap!

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #274 of 318

-I, for one would have provided a less tongue in cheek response if you had initially asked 'I googled it, and the spec sheet says 'USB socket: For USB input'; How the F... does that tell me if the input is for power or files?, rather than apparently not being bothered to do even the tiniest amount of research at all.

The very first link returned from lmgtfy.com tells you (in addition to stating that yes, it has a headphone output and yes, it can supply plenty of power into a HD650) that it accepts: USB Audio Class 2 High-speed Input from Windows / MAC / Linux  ( We can not guarantee it can working with every Linux device )

Now, even without knowing what a USB Audio Class 2 device is, the mention of specific operating systems strongly suggests that it needs a computer for playback. (An USB Audio Class 2 device, by the way, is basically a USB sound card). No, it will not be able to read files off of a bog standard hard drive.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #275 of 318

-I, for one would have provided a less tongue in cheek response if you had initially asked 'I googled it, and the spec sheet says 'USB socket: For USB input'; How the F... does that tell me if the input is for power or files?, rather than apparently not being bothered to do even the tiniest amount of research at all.

The very first link returned from lmgtfy.com tells you (in addition to stating that yes, it has a headphone output and yes, it can supply plenty of power into a HD650) that it accepts: USB Audio Class 2 High-speed Input from Windows / MAC / Linux  ( We can not guarantee it can working with every Linux device )

Now, even without knowing what a USB Audio Class 2 device is, the mention of specific operating systems strongly suggests that it needs a computer for playback. (An USB Audio Class 2 device, by the way, is basically a USB sound card). No, it will not be able to read files off of a bog standard hard drive.

Odde,

Well  E  X  C  U  S  E ...M E !
What do you know about the research I did before I asked?.
You said I didn't do the "tiniest research" which is DEAD wrong and pisses me off.
I read what I thought was all I could on this site and had already visited the sellers sight.
The problem lies in most other people know what these USB ports are for so they don't explain like on the sellers site.
OK...I missed the info here before...BIG DEAL!
It didn't warrant your snarky reply!
Now If YOU have a problem with people who are confused and might be asking questions you don't like ...P I S S   OFF and don't reply!
I thought your reply was clever as I never seen that before but it really was a reply of an assh*le!
I hate members like you and I'll bet I'm not alone.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #277 of 318

How much difference is there with balanced mode?

Right now with the 650's I have the Pono volume at 100% and yet it's not satisfactory to me and worse the headphone have no high end.
I literally cannot here any drum symbol work with rock.

I should add that I've only clocked about 4 hours on my new 650's.

I just tried a recent album "Blurred Lines" on the HD600 with balanced cable to the Pono and the loudest that I could stand to listen at was 2 clicks lower than 50%. To get the same volume with a single-ended connection I need to go up 4 clicks on the volume. On an older album recorded at a much lower level (George Szell - Hayden Symphony No. 88) I got similar results (everything needed to be increased by 3 clicks relative to new "hot" recording levels.

I will try the same test tonight with the HD650.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #278 of 318

How much difference is there with balanced mode?

Right now with the 650's I have the Pono volume at 100% and yet it's not satisfactory to me and worse the headphone have no high end.
I literally cannot here any drum symbol work with rock.

I should add that I've only clocked about 4 hours on my new 650's.

I just tried a recent album "Blurred Lines" on the HD600 with balanced cable to the Pono and the loudest that I could stand to listen at was 2 clicks lower than 50%. To get the same volume with a single-ended connection I need to go up 4 clicks on the volume. On an older album recorded at a much lower level (George Szell - Hayden Symphony No. 88) I got similar results (everything needed to be increased by 3 clicks relative to new "hot" recording levels.

Sounds good...thanks!

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #279 of 318

Tried the HD650 today and it's more sensitive than the HD600 (by about 2 volume clicks on the Pono in balanced mode).

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #281 of 318
  I would expect balanced to be 3dB louder just on the fact you are feeding it with 2 amps, it could be even greater.

I believe that you would be doubling the voltage which should result in 6 dB of gain. Can the Pono even kick out 2 Amps? You wouldn't want to put 2 Amps in any of the Sennheiser HD6x0 series of cans as that would result in 1200 Watts. I'd rather get hit by lightening.

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #282 of 318
  I believe that you would be doubling the voltage which should result in 6 dB of gain. Can the Pono even kick out 2 Amps? You wouldn't want to put 2 Amps in any of the Sennheiser HD6x0 series of cans as that would result in 1200 Watts. I'd rather get hit by lightening.

He meant 2 amps as in 2 amplifiers, not 2 amperes of current
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back