The SchmackDown (Shure SRH750DJ v. Shure SRH840)
Nov 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Jlox1

100+ Head-Fier
Straight up let's be real. What is overall the better headdphone, Sound Quality wise, I listen to HipHop and RnB rarely anything else. I can take SQ over comfort because I have a thin head so size shouldnt be a problem.. Someone just answer lol get bcasey on here !

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 24
Heya,

SRH840 is a neutral headphone that will present a more realistic image to you. The SRH750 is a DJ headphone so has really enhanced bass (the sound frequency response designed around listening to it in a loud environment, not a quiet room). If you're willing to sacrifice other sound frequency quality and neutrality for pure bass, the SRH750 is the headphone you'd go with. If you want the better over all headphone, you'd get the SRH840.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 24
Hmmm but is the 840's bass what you'd call ... good. I mean if it matters any I don't have and amp and all I listen to music on is my computer and phone/mp3 player.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 24
I feel like in the audiophile community "neutral" and "analytical" are excuses for bass that has no impact or rumble whatsoever.

If you've ever listened to a live bass guitar as I'm sure you have, it has rumble, and a kick drum has impact. With neutral sounding headphones, you can hear the kick drum or the bassline, but you can't feel anything, it might as well be a flute that's playing.

Given you are a hip hop and RNB listener, that's my thoughts on the matter.... I think the 750DJ may be a better idea.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 24
The 750DJ by far. Especially for the genres mentioned (Hip Hop and RnB). The 840 it's not even a contest.

I disagree with the 840 giving the better realistic image. The 840 was a very fake-sounding headphone which felt like it had exaggerated treble and bass. the 750DJ, for all its coloration, at least did not sound thin, metallic and tinny and was very full and lively with a far more accurate representation of the bass and a much more impressive mid range.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 24
Strictly for RnB and hiphop, don't get the srh840. Great headphones, but you'll want something with better bass dynamics. They don't really punch that hard, and won't have the most impressive sub bass you'll ever hear.

Quote:
I disagree with the 840 giving the better realistic image. The 840 was a very fake-sounding headphone which felt like it had exaggerated treble and bass. the 750DJ, for all its coloration, at least did not sound thin, metallic and tinny and was very full and lively with a far more accurate representation of the bass and a much more impressive mid range.

Wish I tried those then! From their measurements they look too similar to the 550djs I tried though... peakier midrange and hotter treble than the 840, but more extended bass. I stuck with the 840s personally.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 24
It depends. I find the srh750dj doesn't truly have a substantial amount more of bass except for the fact it's a little more hard hitting. The srh750 has more treble to my ears and this could mean it's more harsh to some people. If you don't want hard hitting bass i would go with the srh840 but if you want hard hitting bass go with the srh750.

My personal preference (i listen to heavy metal not rap hiphop or rnb) would be the srh840. If you want accuracy and durability go with the srh840. If you desire more bass and treble go with the srh75dj. Keeping in mind the srh750 sounds best with an amp and is much harder to drive then the srh840. I find both to be excellent value and each gets equal listening time.

PS: For your music go with the srh750dj.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Can I use the E5/E6 amp with my phone.. 

Yes you can. If you have an apple product i recommend getting a fiio l3 lod. If not just use the headphone port and amplify that.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 24
if you want a mix of both, you might be better off buying m50s instead.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
if you want a mix of both, you might be better off buying m50s instead.

Not at the prices it goes for now. The shure srh750 can be had for $100 and the srh840 can be had for $130. The average m50 price is now $150 or more. But i just ordered a used pair for $100 because i had to listen to the hype.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Not at the prices it goes for now. The shure srh750 can be had for $100 and the srh840 can be had for $130. The average m50 price is now $150 or more. But i just ordered a used pair for $100 because i had to listen to the hype.

hmm good point, wasn't considering price range

lol what u think of m50s.

heard them off a friend before and thought they where pretty good, but since all my headphones are in a higher tier, i wasn't too impressed.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
hmm good point, wasn't considering price range

lol what u think of m50s.

heard them off a friend before and thought they where pretty good, but since all my headphones are in a higher tier, i wasn't too impressed.

Can't say yet they haven't arrived. I just ordered them from the head-fi classifieds yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back