The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 13, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #1,906 of 1,909
I bought a Magni 2 to use with a pair of DT 990 Premiums 250 Ohm. The performance I'm getting is not what I expected, and the reseller basically told me that the DT990 are too hungry for the Magni 2. That did not seem to be the case the first few days I had the amp, the volume got lower after a while. I can't verify that of course, and I want to be open to the possibility that this difference in volume from the first few days and now was just in my head, but as things stand right now, in terms of volume output, the Magni is, to my ears, only marginally more powerful than my Fiio A3, which doesn't seem right.

In your experience, is the Magni 2 powerful enough to drive the DT990s 250? If so, what might be causing these issues?

It's been a while since I've listened to mt DT990's on my Modi/Magni combo (prefer Bimby/Valhalla 2) but power was not an issue.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,908 of 1,909
  So the Magni 2 Uber can provide a little more power, but are there any headphones that wouldn't be driven properly by the regular Magni, but would benefit from the extra power provided by the Uber?

The Magni2 delivers 1.2 W at 32 Ohms and the Uber delivers 1.5 W at 32 Ohms. that's an increase of 1 dB. At 300 Ohms the increase is 0.9 dB. I wouldn't lose sleep over that.
The more significant differences are the Preamp Outs and the better finish of the Uber. What's that worth to you? In the grand scheme of audio products either one is priced very nicely (I'm trying not to say cheap because that doesn't sound nice).

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #1,909 of 1,909

The Magni2 delivers 1.2 W at 32 Ohms and the Uber delivers 1.5 W at 32 Ohms. that's an increase of 1 dB. At 300 Ohms the increase is 0.9 dB. I wouldn't lose sleep over that.
The more significant differences are the Preamp Outs and the better finish of the Uber. What's that worth to you? In the grand scheme of audio products either one is priced very nicely (I'm trying not to say cheap because that doesn't sound nice).

Thanks for replying and I agree. I think I'm just gonna save the money and go for the regular version since I don't have a use for the preamp outputs at the moment and don't see that being the case in the near future. The nicer finish is of course nice but probably not worth it with the preamp outputs being irrelevant to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back