The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Apr 10, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,786 of 1,909
Because they need to sell well.
OK, I see, no one ever measured them herself.

Oh, I am sure their competitors measured them carefully and I believe we would know by now if they wouldn't meet the declared specs :wink:

I see Schiit more in the tradition of Porsche, when they say 300 horsepower then the car has at least 300, they always err on the cautious side.

Cheers,
K

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,787 of 1,909

I see Schiit more in the tradition of Porsche, when they say 300 horsepower then the car has at least 300, they always err on the cautious side.

Cheers,
K

According to Jason, yes, that's actually pretty accurate. Apparently they measure a bunch of the amp or DAC, then take the worst number measured, double the reported error/distortion/whatever, and use that as what they put on their site. So even the worst of the batch should be a little bit better than their reported specs.

There are other sites out there that have posted measurements, but we aren't allowed to link them from here. Google is your friend.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #1,788 of 1,909
According to Jason, yes, that's actually pretty accurate. Apparently they measure a bunch of the amp or DAC, then take the worst number measured, double the reported error/distortion/whatever, and use that as what they put on their site. So even the worst of the batch should be a little bit better than their reported specs.

There are other sites out there that have posted measurements, but we aren't allowed to link them from here. Google is your friend.

Cool, that's the spirit I like. Thanks for the confirmation of what I thought. Schiit rocks.

Cheers.
K

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,789 of 1,909
Hello all, I'm planning to buy a Modi 2 DAC very soon, any advice would help me out a lot.

Are there any advantages or differences in the sound quality that the Modi 2 puts out, versus the Uber version? To specify, I will be running it via USB-only so I will not need the optical or coaxial that the uber has to offer. But I am curious though if the Uber version could have better sound for the USB-only connection in some way, because on the Schiit website it says something about having a more extensive analogue section.

I have already auditioned this DAC at CanJam and liked it quite well (connected to the Vali amp). So anybody who's tried it or can offer me their two cents would be really helpful.

Also FYI on my sound signature preferences, I like: tonally balanced, neutral organic sound with highs that are textured/detailed but not overly analytical.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,790 of 1,909
PS- I'm planning to upgrade to the Modi 2 because, after extensive testing over a long period, I've discovered that my current Modi (version 1) outputs a sound that seems "distant" for a lack of a better term; not in terms of volume but in terms of sounding in the "middle of the theatre" instead of "front row" which is the sound I get from daisy-chaining the Magni 1 to my laptop's amplified soundcard, as opposed to Magni1 + Modi1...

So would anybody say the Modi 2 has any more of a "front row" or other type of a sound quality improvement compared to the Modi 1? Thanks in advance

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,791 of 1,909
  PS- I'm planning to upgrade to the Modi 2 because, after extensive testing over a long period, I've discovered that my current Modi (version 1) outputs a sound that seems "distant" for a lack of a better term; not in terms of volume but in terms of sounding in the "middle of the theatre" instead of "front row" which is the sound I get from daisy-chaining the Magni 1 to my laptop's amplified soundcard, as opposed to Magni1 + Modi1...

So would anybody say the Modi 2 has any more of a "front row" or other type of a sound quality improvement compared to the Modi 1? Thanks in advance

Levi, When I first received the Modi 2 Uber I did a small reveiw
here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/746128/the-schiitstorm-next-gen-magni-2-and-modi-2-family/1305#post_11200921

I hope that helps. I use the dacs mostly for my 2 channel speaker setups more so than for headphones so keep that in mind.(Some will think I am nuts but I don't even know what my valhalla 2 sounds like through cans) But in short i do get a more up front feeling with the Modi 2 Uber. The Noise floor seems lower, there is more detail and the sound stage is wider.

Actually I Own 2 Modi 2 Ubers. One for my primary 2 Channel setup and one used to be used for my desktop setup. I took the one on my desktop setup to use for my fiances apple tv(uses optical out) and put the modi 1 back in my desktop setup. There was an immediate and noticeable difference. I miss the Uber to say the least. Not that the Modi 1 is a bad piece of equipment. The Modi 2 Uber is just a better piece. Jason from schiit said there is a better analog section, also The use of a power supply seems to help as well. I compared them using a Wyrd. The Modi 1 saw quite a bit of improvement where as the modi 2 uber saw minor improvments in SQ. keep in mind again all done through a traditional 2 CH setup.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,793 of 1,909
I also recently upgraded from a Modi to a Modi 2 Uber, and I'll echo what bigro stated. The Modi was a very good piece of equipment, but the 2 Uber is even better still, and at what is still a very nice price imo.

I do listen to my headphones through my Magni 2 Uber, but I listen to my 2-channel speaker setup probably 2-3x more. I am using a vintage Sansui AU-717 integrated amp and JBL L110 speakers.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,794 of 1,909
I A/B'd the Modi 1 and 2 uber and found no definitive difference in their sound quality in my rig. Had to do the A/B manually so it took about 10 seconds to switch over, thus not the most reliable test. If I had to stretch for any improvement I'd say a bit more high end detail (like 5% increase at best if I attempt to quantify it). Maybe others did a more efficient A/B test and were able to pick out differences more effectively. If someone took the guts of the Modi 1 and put it in my 2 Uber, I know for a fact I wouldn't notice (going purely on sound quality, not other features). 

This isn't to say it won't offer a more substantial improvement for others but in my rig it didn't make a change. Personally, if I were looking for a clear-cut upgrade to the Modi 1, I'd look at the Bifrost or DACs around that price range. I'm not saying that's what you should do as I'm certainly not experienced enough to offer matter-of-fact advice, but just saying what I would do personally in your situation.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,795 of 1,909
  Thanks very much @bigro. So I take it you noticed an audible improvement with the Modi 2 uber as compared to version 1 with speakers, even though you've never tried it with headphones. That would be interesting to know also which amp and speakers you're using (if you want to share)

Sure, My Main setup is A linux Laptop -> Wyrd-> Modi 2 Uber-> Valhalla 2 ( Mid 70's Gold Grid Vokshod Input Tubes, Mid 80' Gold Grid Russian Nos output tubes) -> Mackie MR5 MKII Monitors and a PSB Subzero subwoofer.

I Also use the Optical output from my tv to the M2Uber and Digital out from My DVD Player to the M2 Uber as well.

This setup up brings me incredible joy. I dive into music with bourbon or scotch in hand for hours.

As Side note Anyone considering exploring 2 Channel setups should definitely explore studio monitors. they have Matched amps, cabinets and transducers make for quick setup at very reasonable prices. Most speakers at box stores are overpriced and geared toward home theater setups, most monitors are geared to sq and have to deliver that. I find Mackie and the newer Jbl's to be more musical than analytical I personally like that.

Desktop setup
Windows Laptop -> Wyrd-> Modi1-> Sys -> Vali   Or (sys used as a switch)  Magni2 Uber -> Pro-ject  Amp Box S  --> Centrance Masterclass 2504 Speakers and a PSB Subseries 100 Subwoofer.

When I use the Vali I use Harman Kardon CL phones at this point. I also have a pair of Grado SR80I that I use with the Magni2U.

I also recently upgraded from a Modi to a Modi 2 Uber, and I'll echo what bigro stated. The Modi was a very good piece of equipment, but the 2 Uber is even better still, and at what is still a very nice price imo.

I do listen to my headphones through my Magni 2 Uber, but I listen to my 2-channel speaker setup probably 2-3x more. I am using a vintage Sansui AU-717 integrated amp and JBL L110 speakers.

I actually just replaced My Mid 80's NAD Preamp with the Valhalla. I compared the NAD to the Magni 2 Uber and surprisingly the 2 Uber had a more neutral and detailed sound. The Poor NAD Sits in my garage, Some lucky budding audiophile will get the gift of it and the curse of an empty wallet for the rest of his/her existence. The Schiit Modi is a great way to bring digital audio to vintage gear at a great price. Its the product that brought me out of the 80's.

I A/B'd the Modi 1 and 2 uber and found no definitive difference in their sound quality in my rig. Had to do the A/B manually so it took about 10 seconds to switch over, thus not the most reliable test. If I had to stretch for any improvement I'd say a bit more high end detail (like 5% increase at best if I attempt to quantify it). Maybe others did a more efficient A/B test and were able to pick out differences more effectively. If someone took the guts of the Modi 1 and put it in my 2 Uber, I know for a fact I wouldn't notice (going purely on sound quality, not other features). 

This isn't to say it won't offer a more substantial improvement for others but in my rig it didn't make a change. Personally, if I were looking for a clear-cut upgrade to the Modi 1, I'd look at the Bifrost or DACs around that price range. I'm not saying that's what you should do as I'm certainly not experienced enough to offer matter-of-fact advice, but just saying what I would do personally in your situation.

I would say that the Uber is a More refined version of the Modi 1, the sound signature is not different but I agree the high end is more detailed I also found the lows are a tad tighter and you are a few rows closer if that makes any sense. I had to reposition my speakers because there was a change in the way they were imaging, which was actually unexpected but welcome. I am not disagreeing with you actually agreeing, to clarify don't expect night and day differences. just as a second version should be the strengths of the original are still there but improvements have been made and I would say worth the upgrade.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,797 of 1,909
Hello. Have someone put modi 2 and android device together via usb audio player pro? Got crackling, tried all options. Asked people, they successfully connected my smartphone model to fiio dacs with no crackling. Thanks.

I tried with an iPhone and it refused citing that the connected device drew too much power. Maybe the problem is too much power draw for your android device too? Have you tried connecting it through a powered hub?

Or something like this: http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back