The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,771 of 1,909
In case anybody is now interested in the difference between MODI and MODI 2 due to the $30 price difference, I had the following exchange with Schiit CS today:

Me(2:05): 
I know it might be tough for you to answer this question without bias but:
I'm thinking of buying a Modi on Amazon, the original is $90 and the Modi 2 is $120. What do I get for the extra $30? As far as I can tell it's just the higher sample rate options provided by USB 2 protocol...

Nick(2:08):
The analog output stage is improved in Modi 2 and it has the mode switch to be able to run in USB Audio Class 1 (24/96) or USB Audio Class 2 (24/192) If you do not need higher sample rates the Modi 1 would be fine for you. We also have the Modi 1 available on our site for $79 + shipping and tax.

So, I thought that was really cool: He got back to me in THREE MINUTES and gave a very honest answer.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,772 of 1,909
thinking about a Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack to use with my Beyer DT770-80 and JBL monitors.   Now that the Magni 2 Uber has RCA out, can I just hook up my powered monitors to this and listen as normal?  And then when I want to listen to the headphones, I plug those into and it'll mute the speakers?  Is that how it works?  

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,773 of 1,909
  thinking about a Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack to use with my Beyer DT770-80 and JBL monitors.   Now that the Magni 2 Uber has RCA out, can I just hook up my powered monitors to this and listen as normal?  And then when I want to listen to the headphones, I plug those into and it'll mute the speakers?  Is that how it works?  

Yes, that's how it works.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,774 of 1,909
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will follow your suggestions and wait a little while, though for a slightly different reason. I love the HD 598 but because they are open-back I can't really use them at work. I'd like some comfortable closed-back headphones with more bass for my job and while the 2U/Stack should be fine for most headphones, it makes sense to wait just in case I decide on something really hard to drive.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,775 of 1,909
  Thanks for the feedback. I think I will follow your suggestions and wait a little while, though for a slightly different reason. I love the HD 598 but because they are open-back I can't really use them at work. I'd like some comfortable closed-back headphones with more bass for my job and while the 2U/Stack should be fine for most headphones, it makes sense to wait just in case I decide on something really hard to drive.

Unless you look for some inefficient 600 Ohm headphones or some fringe headphones that are hard to drive the 2U/Stack can drive almost any mainstream headphone. There are not many headphones that it cannot handle. Since you are looking at the M/M stack and coming from an HD598, I doubt that you will be looking for a pair of headphones that it cannot handle which tend to be expensive.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,779 of 1,909
Well, we don't know how all those specs were measurement. Plus, they need to sell their products, so they could write a little bit good specs than the are, you know.
I remember some NwAvGuys measurements of portable amps, and not all of them were same as manufacturer wrote.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,781 of 1,909
Just got my Schiit stack.  Can immediately say that songs that I've listened to for over 100 times sound much improved and different than before.  There are even portions of songs that I previously did not enjoy, but do now.  Go figure. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back