The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Feb 24, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,696 of 1,909

Comments like these (and I appreciate your response) make the acquisition of good audio equipment confusing.  On the one hand, amp A can be better than amp B, but what makes amp A better than B is something someone's ears can't perceive...raising the question of why someone would go with amp A to begin with.  Either there's something noticeably different in terms of audio quality between more expensive amps and their inexpensive counterparts, or this whole high-end audio thing is kind of a scam after a certain price point/quality of amp..for lack of a better way to put it.

I understand different amps shape sound output in different ways that are appealing or less appealing to people (the subjective nature of audio equipment), but apparently when you're comparing amps in a close family from the same company, that's when the differences between an expensive vs. less expensive amp may become less noticeable...?  I may be completely missing something here and if I am, I apologize.  Just trying to grow in my understanding of how this all works.  

Yes, you are correct.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,697 of 1,909
The only practical advantage I see the Asgard 2 having is the 5 year vs the two year warranty on the Magni 2U. If the Magni 2U was out when I bought my A2, I probably would have went with the cheaper option.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,698 of 1,909
Great feedback, thanks. How about the difference in frequency response between the two? A2 being [COLOR=000000]2Hz-400KHz, -3dB and the M2U being 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB. How does that difference affect the sound quality between the two, if at all?[/COLOR]

You can't possibly hear 250kHz much less 400kHz.
While 250 kHz and 400 kHz may be inaudible, it does give you an idea of how frequencies roll off. Both the M2U and A2 have -0.1 dB upper limits of 20 kHz, but the A2 goes all the way out to 400 kHz until it hits -3 dB, while the M2U gets there at 250 kHz. This means that the high-end rolloff on A2 is more gradual than M2U. The A2's FR graph should look noticeably wider than M2U's, and the A2 will probably have a "flatter" curve across 20 kHz.

Will this make an audible difference? Yeah, probably not. The 20 Hz to 20 kHz range is what really matters, and it looks like every Schiit amp meets that range to -0.1 dB (except Vali, which is -0.2 dB). That tells me that the response in the audible range on these amps should be very flat.

The only practical advantage I see the Asgard 2 having is the 5 year vs the two year warranty on the Magni 2U. If the Magni 2U was out when I bought my A2, I probably would have went with the cheaper option.
Tha's a good point, and something that I hadn't thought of. The restocking fee on A2 is only 5% as well (15% on Magnis).

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,699 of 1,909
If it's -0.1 dB at 20 kHz, that's the limit at the point where no human can hear above. You need not worry about anything further. Most people can begin noticing changes at or about 3 dB, so I wouldn't look for problems where none exists. 0.1dB is nothing to fret about.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,700 of 1,909
The only (imo major) benefit to the A2 over the M2U is that due to the larger chassis they can install a better volume pot with much better low level tracking.

As i'm planning on using both sensitive ciems and fullsize, I'm going for the A2.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,702 of 1,909

Would you clarify what you mean by "volume pot"?  

The physical volume potentiometer that controls the resistance and thereby the current/voltage output aka the power supplied to the headphone and therefore the volume level.

This: http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Potentiometer/RotaryPotentiometers/RK271/RK271_list.html

(apologies for long link - my embedder is not working..)

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,704 of 1,909
  The only (imo major) benefit to the A2 over the M2U is that due to the larger chassis they can install a better volume pot with much better low level tracking.

As i'm planning on using both sensitive ciems and fullsize, I'm going for the A2.

Doesn't the A2 sounds different to the M2U too? I had not tried both before (only the Magni 1) but from what I've read, the A2 seems to be more warm compared to the M2U.

I hope to be able to try both at a local store. Currently my mind is set on the M&M 2U (safe choice, won't go wrong with that) but I may fork out more for the A2 if it pairs better with my gears.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,705 of 1,909
Question for everyone who has the Modi 2 / Magni 2 combo:  How would you compare this to a Fiio E17/E09K Combo?  I know the schiit gear is dedicated desktop equipment, but just looking for perspective.  I will be using it with headphones like Grado SR125, PSB M4U1, and possibly Senn HD650.

Thanks

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #1,706 of 1,909

Doesn't the A2 sounds different to the M2U too? I had not tried both before (only the Magni 1) but from what I've read, the A2 seems to be more warm compared to the M2U.

I hope to be able to try both at a local store. Currently my mind is set on the M&M 2U (safe choice, won't go wrong with that) but I may fork out more for the A2 if it pairs better with my gears.

Are you suggesting to someone that they listen to a product? WHAT??  (That's what I do too... Shhhh... Don't tell anyone)

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,708 of 1,909
  how do i use expert mode?

The non Uber Modi 2 has a switch on the rear, the Uber does not require a switch, When using Windoze, you must download and install device drivers from Schiit's website. If your source supports what I believe to be USB Audio Standard 2 then you shouldn't need any drivers.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,710 of 1,909

Users who are viewing this thread

Back