The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Mar 1, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,726 of 1,909
To clear up any confusion, the Sound Blaster Z has an option where the optical out and headphone jack out will mirror the same signal, so I have the optical out going to my Modi 2 Uber and the headphone out going to my sub amp for my bass shaker. This works wonderfully. The headphone out signal is a very strong one as well, since I barely have the gain knob on my sub amp past zero (where in previous y splitter setups I had it at 80% just to get anything out of it.)

It's on the last tab in the Sound Blaster Z software, just check the box and make sure you have "Speakers" from the Sound Blaster set as your default audio device. I understand this is a very specific situation, but the solution worked well for me and might for someone else out there as well.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,727 of 1,909
I have a question that I've posted in 2-3 other threads/places but to no avail :-/

The high gain for Magni 2 is listed as " 6 (14db)" on the specs page but I think it should be either 5 (14db) or 6 (15.6db).

Or am I missing something?

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,728 of 1,909
Well you didn't really ask a question, so I'll assume you mean: "What is the high gain for Magni 2?" In which case, I don't think any of us can answer. It is clearly a typo on the page, as Asgard lists the gain as 6 (15.6 dB).

Have you actually emailed Schiit to ask them?

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,736 of 1,909
Today I ordered the Magni 2 and the Modi 2 both of them non-Uber, they will be replacing my first GEN units. And since I only live an hour away from the company it will be here tomorrow. I can't wait until they show up.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,737 of 1,909
Well, I took the plunge and ordered a Magni 2 Uber amp.  I contacted the folks @ Schiit, and I must say, they were always very fast at responding, and providing insight on their different products.  In short, their technical support is the schiit.

I do have a question for those here who have this already:

I am currently going to just use the Line Out (3.5mm jack) on the back of my Mac Pro, using a 3.5 to RCA cable, into the Magni 2 Uber.  Have others done this, and if so, have you been pleased with the result?  Or is there a noticeable benefit of using an external dac in this situation?

I know many machines have average built-in DACs, but I have heard that the DACs in Macs are actually pretty decent.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,739 of 1,909
  oh man i'm glad i bought the modi2u such a tiny great dac

It may be small but it's some serious Schiit. Unless you get a crazy case of, "I gotta buy something" it'll serve you for a very long time.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,740 of 1,909
  It may be small but it's some serious Schiit. Unless you get a crazy case of, "I gotta buy something" it'll serve you for a very long time.

Yep, I imagine I'll be sticking with my Asgard 2 and Modi2U for at least the next 5 years. Wish I could say I won't buy more headphones in that time period as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back