The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 23, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,576 of 1,909
Originally Posted by C0rnholio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would it make a big difference going from the E10 to the Modi 2 from a DACs pov of course ?

Just my two cents... I used a Fiio E17 for my DAC/Amp for a while.  I bought a Vali used a year ago and used the E17 as the DAC while I saved up for a Modi.  It was a pretty big improvement when the Modi arrived.  The music has more detail, soundstage is better, and of course a mini Schiit stack is much sexier than a Fiio finagled into the mix.  I don't own HE500's, but with my DT880, HD600, and M50 the Modi kicks the Schiit out of the Fiio.  Drop the extra cash, you won't regret it!

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,580 of 1,909
  Damn I need to have this forum banned from my ISP. It's reallllllly hurting my wallet =))

Now - just ordered the HiFiMan HE-500 :D so my wallet is having a stroke already. Currently I own a Fiio E10 + AKG K550 - I decided to get the HEs after I listened to some LCD2s but found them just a bit dark ( which is normal after being used to the K550s ) - and decided to pull the trigger on the HEs without seeing them in person let alone listened to them but I heard they are a biiiiit brighter than the LCD2s - and considering the $500 price tag - it was a no brainer decision.

NOOOOW - I need a new solution for the HE-500s as I am absolutely sure the E10 is simply crap ( not schiit ) with them especially on the AMP part. So I ended up here ... Couple of questions for you as I already spent hours going through the first 60 pages of this thread but simply there's too much info to look for what I need exactly :

1. I kinda decided I will go for the Modi 2 ( non-uber ) as my only use will be USB and all the other improvements seem to only benefit the other inputs as far as I could read, since on USB - the power will be drained from the USB instead of the wall-wart. And even if there are any differences I probably wouldn't be able to hear them. On the other hand, the Fiio's DAC is not all that crappy ( as opposed to the AMP section ). I listened to the LCDs from the E10 + E12 amp and I was quite impressed with the sound for such a low price option. So in theory I could pair the E10 with the Magni 2. Would it make a big difference going from the E10 to the Modi 2 from a DACs pov of course ?
2. Now the Magni 2, of course the never ending debate - to Uber or not to Uber ? Could the HE-500s benefit from the extra power ? I understood they are not power hungry ... but would they still benefit the more powerful amp ? Being on a pretty tight budget - would the E10 + Magni 2 Uber be a better choice than the Modi 2 + Magni 2 ( both non-ubers ) in my case ? Also I have a pair of Microlab Solo 7C active speakers which I love especially for the low price they are astonishing. I can understand that I can easily connect them on the Magni Uber's pre-amp out - but my question is this : if having both the Modi 2 and Magni 2- how is that pre-amp out on the Magni 2 Uber any different then pluging the speakers directly into the Modi 2 ( apart from having to connect/disconnect cables back and forth every time I want to switch from HP to Speakers ) ?

Thank you !

HE-500 not power hungry? Lol. The HE-500 will benefit from more power, it's a orthodynamic that loves raw powerrrrr. I would use the E10 DAC section and go for a second hand Schiit Lyr. Will sound (much) better than Modi + Magni.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,581 of 1,909
  Ideally ( and hopefully ) I will get the Modi 2 + Magni 2 Uber - but I'd still like to know the answers to my previews questions :)))

I have a pair of HE-500's and they do require a little more juice but not a huge amount, IMO that's a myth. 1 W will get you close to 120 dB which is the threshold of pain. Most music is compressed so that at a normal to loud listening level you will way more headroom than required. The wattage rating of the Magni is given in RMS, which is a far more conservative number than peak wattage. I've used my HE-500 with the Magni 1 and it is loud, clean and clear. The Magni 2 Uber has even more power so you should not be concerned.
I've recently picked up a Modi 2 Uber to put together another listening station at home to compliment the other one which has a Bifrost Uber USB2. I found the Modi to be excellent.
You will truly enjoy the combo without setting your wallet on FIRE, FIRE as your username would suggest. Say hello to Butthead.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,582 of 1,909
  I have a pair of HE-500's and they do require a little more juice but not a huge amount, IMO that's a myth. 1 W will get you close to 120 dB which is the threshold of pain. Most music is compressed so that at a normal to loud listening level you will way more headroom than required. The wattage rating of the Magni is given in RMS, which is a far more conservative number than peak wattage. I've used my HE-500 with the Magni 1 and it is loud, clean and clear. The Magni 2 Uber has even more power so you should not be concerned.
I've recently picked up a Modi 2 Uber to put together another listening station at home to compliment the other one which has a Bifrost Uber USB2. I found the Modi to be excellent.
You will truly enjoy the combo without setting your wallet on FIRE, FIRE as your username would suggest. Say hello to Butthead.
biggrin.gif

Power is not all about volume :wink: I'm not technical at all but the difference between Lyr or Magni with HE-500 is there. Quite so even in my opinion. I would get the Schiit Lyr instead of Magni/Modi and use the Fiio E10 as a DAC.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,583 of 1,909

Power is not all about volume :wink: I'm not technical at all but the difference between Lyr or Magni with HE-500 is there. Quite so even in my opinion. I would get the Schiit Lyr instead of Magni/Modi and use the Fiio E10 as a DAC.

We're going to have to disagree. IMO power that is never tapped, even on peaks are not used and thus has no contribution good or bad to what we hear. The Magni has more power than will be used on peaks.
If one can find an amp that distorts on peaks then it's not good, however, the Magni delivers cleanly throughout the range.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,584 of 1,909
  We're going to have to disagree. IMO power that is never tapped, even on peaks are not used and thus has no contribution good or bad to what we hear. The Magni has more power than will be used on peaks.
If one can find an amp that distorts on peaks then it's not good, however, the Magni delivers cleanly throughout the range.

I'm not very technical so I'm not gonna argue on that. It is however a fact that Schiit made the first Lyr for headphones like the HE-500. I really liked the synergy when I had them. With the Magni not so much.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,585 of 1,909

I'm not very technical so I'm not gonna argue on that. It is however a fact that Schiit made the first Lyr for headphones like the HE-500. I really liked the synergy when I had them. With the Magni not so much.

What is simple is that if the Magni is linear up to the peak power drawn by the headphone then any more power does absolutley nothing. Perhaps what the difference is that you prefer the added coloration of the tubes in the Lyr. Some folks like that others don't. You can probably tell that I'm in the pure SS camp, no coloration, what goes in comes out, only louder. So perhaps it depends on what one prefers to hear.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,586 of 1,909
  What is simple is that if the Magni is linear up to the peak power drawn by the headphone then any more power does absolutley nothing. Perhaps what the difference is that you prefer the added coloration of the tubes in the Lyr. Some folks like that others don't. You can probably tell that I'm in the pure SS camp, no coloration, what goes in comes out, only louder. So perhaps it depends on what one prefers to hear.

I think there is more to building a good amp then just wattage. Otherwise all amps should sound exactly the same with the same power and that's not the case. The Lyr is just a allround better (build) amp, that's what is making the difference. Not even in the same league.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,589 of 1,909

Yeah that's fine. I actually owned both with the HE-500 so I could give some insights. But yes you are complety right. The Magni is just as good as the Lyr. The Lyr is just 350$ more expensive because of nicer case and tubes.

(Lyr isn't that great driving the HE-6 actually).

I personally built an ABX switch to compare my own gen 1 Magni and Lyr 2. With my ears, headphones and DAC, there was an extremely marginal difference.

If you can hear a difference, cool. Just saying my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back