The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 20, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #1,561 of 1,909
Is a pop normal after the muting relay has done it's job? I have the Magni 2 Uber and it pops my speakers on the pre-amp output after turning on (after about 8 seconds or so) and when turning off (not as loud as when turning the amp on).

I am experiencing this popping sound as well with my Magni2Ü on both my headphones and external powered speakers. I didn't recall hearing that with my original Magni so I reconnected it to compare...I can hear a very faint clicking sound (not popping). Hmm, I guess to be safe it's probably best to keep the phones unplugged (and powered speakers) shut off on initial M2Ü startup. No big deal I guess.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,563 of 1,909
I am experiencing this popping sound as well with my Magni2Ü on both my headphones and external powered speakers. I didn't recall hearing that with my original Magni so I reconnected it to compare...I can hear a very faint clicking sound (not popping). Hmm, I guess to be safe it's probably best to keep the phones unplugged (and powered speakers) shut off on initial M2Ü startup. No big deal I guess.

The click comes from the device itself, while the pop is only audible if your transducer (headphones or speakers) has its volume activated and you're already listening. I usually turn on the amp before I put headphones on, so I rarely hear the pop. (In contrast, my guitar amp makes a loud pop when you turn it on and off.)

From the Magni 2 Uber manual:

Turn on the switch. The protection relay will mute the output for 8-10 seconds, then it will engage with a click.

From the FAQ section on Schiit's site:

So you probably cheaped out and left the protection off this amp, or something stupid like that, right?
No. Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber have relay mute for delayed startup and fast shut-down. You can leave your headphones plugged in all the time. Magni 2 Uber also automatically disconnects the preamp outputs when you plug headphones in. Amazing things, switches.

Haha. I really love their sense of humor. Another quote from the manual:

We recommend you stop increasing volume before your headphones explode.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,564 of 1,909
Just for fun, I made a couple of measurements comparing headphone frequency response versus DAC/amp for my M2U&M2U stack and my Benchmark DAC1USB, using Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, DT880Pro, and Sennheiser HD650 headphones.  The results show that the DAC/amps are remarkably similar in overall frequency response.

I used an Earthworks M23 microphone as my measurement microphone, connected to a Roland OctaCapture and my Laptop running SMAART software.  I made a mic & headphone holder to ensure consistent placement and [not-so-accurately] simulate a head wearing the headphones (I forgot to take a photo... I'll try to add one later).  The software generates broadband pink noise which was fed to each DAC via the coax S/PDIF connection running at 24 bit 48 kHz.  I used a calibrated sound level calibrator to calibrate (that's a lot of "calibration") the levels measured by the M23 microphone, and then adjusted the output volume of each amp until the software saw an 80.0±0.1 dB pink noise signal.  I did not touch the headphone between measurements on each DAC/amp to ensure maximum consistency.  I selected a 5-second average for the transfer function measurement and let it run for about 15 seconds before capturing the response curve.  I did not apply any smoothing.  Signal delays were accounted for and zeroed out in the software, which is evident in the phase plots (not included in this post yet).  I did notice that the signal one DAC was delayed by ~1.25ms more than the other (I think the DAC1 had the longer delay... will have to check my raw files later).  This latency has no impact on listening to music.  On my last measurement with the HD650s, I also measured the M2U setup in both low and high gain settings.

Here is all the data in one plot with a ±10dB vertical scale.  Overall, the curves for each headphone are remarkably similar regardless of DAC/amp used.  There is nothing here that would suggest spectral differences in the sound signatures, which agrees with my listening--I cannot tell any real differences between DAC/amps.

Here is the DT770Pro by itself through the M2U and DAC1:

Here is the DT880Pro by itself through the M2U and DAC1:

Here is the HD650 by itself through the M2U and DAC1:

I plan to repeat this test again when I have a little more time.  I think that my test environment was not ideal as there were a few background noises in my house at the time.  A repetition will tell my how accurate my calibration and headphone-to-microphone placement was.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,565 of 1,909
  Just got my Modi 2 Uber > Valhalla 2 in and hooked up to the optical out on my TV and I am getting a pulsating sound from it.  Hooked up to my PC via USB to works great.  Will be trying optical to my blu-ray player tonight, but was just curious if anyone has this before?  Previously my TV was hooked up to my receiver via optical and had no issues.

I was running my Mackie 624s through the Pre-amp of the Valhalla and it sound great, really brought warmth to them,  Almost too good as I have yet to try my HD650s.

I am currently Running the Mackie MR5 MKII and was heavily considering a Valhalla to replace my NAD preamp and those Mackie 624's are really yelling loudly at me. Valhalla first, I will continue to Envy you with the 624's. That's A huge price jump over the MR5's. I am sure it sounds awesome.

Also to clarify on My review of the Original Modi Versus the Modi 2 Uber. I am not using Headphones They are going through monitors so there can be an entirely difference experience from headphones. I was and still am Entirely happy with the Original Modi. There is Actually a Vali on the Way to pair with the modi so I will have a proper desktop setup, Also Centrance Master class 2504's Desktop speakers for a desktop 2CH setup because old habits die hard. The Plan, once I figure out which amp to run the Masterclasses with is to have the Original Modi power the Vali for headphones and through splitter or switch power the masterclasses via the preamp/amp when I want to listen to speakers. If I did not have the ability to compare the Modi or Modi2 Uber I would not miss the Uber. Unless you have the upgrade itch the original is not an inferior product by no means just the uber in my view is more refined. Think 12 Year Scotch and 18 Year Scotch.12 year is very good and very smooth but the 18 year to some may be slightly smoother, have better character and a more refined flavor. At the same time to other people 10 yr, 12 yr and 18 yr tastes the same and they cant see why people pay more.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,566 of 1,909
  I am currently Running the Mackie MR5 MKII and was heavily considering a Valhalla to replace my NAD preamp and those Mackie 624's are really yelling loudly at me. Valhalla first, I will continue to Envy you with the 624's. That's A huge price jump over the MR5's. I am sure it sounds awesome.

I am running the older MK 1, got them on discount before the MK II came out for $500 for the pair.  It is a great option to be able to throw the Valhalla on them to go from a critical listening speaker to something with a lot more flavor.  My next purchase would be sys that way I can go through the Valhalla and or the Modi depending on what I am feeling for, 

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,568 of 1,909
Just got my new modi2/magni2 uber stack (the wyrd was my first purchase from schiit) , I must say that the last time I was that impressed by purchasing audio gear was when I got my first headroom ultra micro amp (and also the dac not so long afterwards).
The delivery was super fast and the products were well packaged.  Also the schiit products are really well built simply rock solid and looking very clean,minimalist.   The sound is very good, the dac is definitely better than the Dragonfly I used before (more comments about that in the equipment forums).  Also the cables are really good quality..the brand name really surprised me 
wink_face.gif

All in all I am very pleased with my purchase.  

Thank you Schiit..good to have you around.  
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,569 of 1,909
Well, I just connected my speakers to the M2U's headphone output. It seems to sound a little better, but they're just low-end USB speakers, so I can't tell how much more noticeable the improvements would be if I used better speakers. I guess the only types of speakers that could be used with the M2U are active monitors via the preamp outputs and USB speakers via the headphone output.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,570 of 1,909
  Well, I just connected my speakers to the M2U's headphone output. It seems to sound a little better, but they're just low-end USB speakers, so I can't tell how much more noticeable the improvements would be if I used better speakers. I guess the only types of speakers that could be used with the M2U are active monitors via the preamp outputs and USB speakers via the headphone output.

You can use passive speakers too. You would obviously need a speaker amp though.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #1,574 of 1,909
Damn I need to have this forum banned from my ISP. It's reallllllly hurting my wallet =))

Now - just ordered the HiFiMan HE-500 :D so my wallet is having a stroke already. Currently I own a Fiio E10 + AKG K550 - I decided to get the HEs after I listened to some LCD2s but found them just a bit dark ( which is normal after being used to the K550s ) - and decided to pull the trigger on the HEs without seeing them in person let alone listened to them but I heard they are a biiiiit brighter than the LCD2s - and considering the $500 price tag - it was a no brainer decision.

NOOOOW - I need a new solution for the HE-500s as I am absolutely sure the E10 is simply crap ( not schiit ) with them especially on the AMP part. So I ended up here ... Couple of questions for you as I already spent hours going through the first 60 pages of this thread but simply there's too much info to look for what I need exactly :

1. I kinda decided I will go for the Modi 2 ( non-uber ) as my only use will be USB and all the other improvements seem to only benefit the other inputs as far as I could read, since on USB - the power will be drained from the USB instead of the wall-wart. And even if there are any differences I probably wouldn't be able to hear them. On the other hand, the Fiio's DAC is not all that crappy ( as opposed to the AMP section ). I listened to the LCDs from the E10 + E12 amp and I was quite impressed with the sound for such a low price option. So in theory I could pair the E10 with the Magni 2. Would it make a big difference going from the E10 to the Modi 2 from a DACs pov of course ?
2. Now the Magni 2, of course the never ending debate - to Uber or not to Uber ? Could the HE-500s benefit from the extra power ? I understood they are not power hungry ... but would they still benefit the more powerful amp ? Being on a pretty tight budget - would the E10 + Magni 2 Uber be a better choice than the Modi 2 + Magni 2 ( both non-ubers ) in my case ? Also I have a pair of Microlab Solo 7C active speakers which I love especially for the low price they are astonishing. I can understand that I can easily connect them on the Magni Uber's pre-amp out - but my question is this : if having both the Modi 2 and Magni 2- how is that pre-amp out on the Magni 2 Uber any different then pluging the speakers directly into the Modi 2 ( apart from having to connect/disconnect cables back and forth every time I want to switch from HP to Speakers ) ?

Thank you !

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,575 of 1,909
I have been using my HE500s with a Magni 2 for a few days and I am pretty satisfied. I eventually will switch to a better amp but I can tell you the regular Magni will run them pretty well. I bought mine to try it out since my tube amp is for high impedence headphones and does not do well with the HEs. I got a Bifrost Uber for a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back