The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 10, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,427 of 1,909
EDIT: HOLY **** I HAD THE AMP ON LOW IMPEDENCE, GG MY LIFE! THIS SOUNDS CRAAAAAAAZY NOW LOL, im such an idiot someone a few pages back told me to check too. Did i damage anything runnning it on low impedence?

As Music A has just told you, it's a gain switch not impedance. Put it on high and try again, you didn't hurt anything. Just don't start with the volume on maximum.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,428 of 1,909
I thought I did switch through it I guess the distortion through youtube threw me off and I switched it. Sorry for calling it a impedence switch like an idiot lol, yeah the high gain setting solved my issues haha. I guess I should upload a pic?

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #1,430 of 1,909
I thought I did switch through it I guess the distortion through youtube threw me off and I switched it. Sorry for calling it a impedence switch like an idiot lol, yeah the high gain setting solved my issues haha. I guess I should upload a pic?

So im assuming when you said that you were hitting the switch, it was actually the power switch? lol

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #1,432 of 1,909
This is this different brush finish i was talking about that was driving my OCD crazy. I just was not able to upload it yesterday since I'm new. On side note, I think the different finish is due to the different grain of sandpaper used to get the brushed look. And that they were behind production, bit on the rush job maybe.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #1,434 of 1,909
  This is this different brush finish i was talking about that was driving my OCD crazy. I just was not able to upload it yesterday since I'm new. On side note, I think the different finish is due to the different grain of sandpaper used to get the brushed look. And that they were behind production, bit on the rush job maybe.

A number of people on this thread claiming OCD.  Units look good to me.  Not identical finish, but I'm not OCD so i'm just strolling along, singing a song.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,435 of 1,909
lol I guess but then again I'm not really sure what I was doing lolol... yeah the stand is oem for the mic and I figured it works fine as a stand for the headphones.. thanks for everyones helps, ps mine look fine on the finish as well.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,436 of 1,909
i have studio monitors and an interface and i have a preamp for a mic, but first hifi headphone setup yes, mostly listening to youtube hq uploads only, and a few flac files I have downloaded, some tracks sound SUPERB

YouTube is really hit or miss. At least half of the songs I find on YouTube have totally destroyed audio quality. And the "high quality" uploads usually aren't really that high quality, even compared to ripping a CD yourself and converting the lossless files to lossy. But I guess YouTube is more convenient than buying CDs or digital albums, which can add up quickly.

Sorry for going full noob here, but when you guys say "stack" do you mean amp and DAC devices together.

Is a DAC a separate device from the amp?

Is a DAC necessary to have with a Magni2 headphone amp to power 32 ohm headphones from a smart phone as a source?

Thank you in advance if anyone would care to respond to this post.

In this case talking about the Modi2 and Magni2 yes the DAC is separate from the amp. There are combined versions out there as well so if that's a preference its possible to find one.

The word stack refers to the having separate DAC and AMP and yes most people physically stack them. The Modi and Magni and the 2 versions are the same dimensions so they "stack" well.

A DAC or Digital to Analog Convertor. Takes your digital audio bits ( Flac, MP3 etc are digital audio files) and converts it to analog which is what sound waves are and what you eventually hear out of your headphones or speakers.

The Analog output from a DAC however is low power so you will need and amplifier to amplify the signal to a level you can listen to.

Welcome, I'm a forum noob as well but have been around this stuff for a while, Head fi has some very knowledgeable members which is why I stopped lurking and decided to get in the mix.

Btw, thanks very much, to user Bigro. Thank you for taking the time to write this up for me it is a big help.

Looking forward to purchasing Magni2 and lurking more on the altar of Mount Head-Fi. This place is amazing.

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #1,437 of 1,909
Btw, thanks very much, to user Bigro. Thank you for taking the time to write this up for me it is a big help.

Looking forward to purchasing Magni2 and lurking more on the altar of Mount Head-Fi. This place is amazing.

ask as much as you want. some people would gonna answer it. it's an entry-level dac/amps. it's common that there will be a lot of first timers. Me included.
i was here a couple weeks ago asking question so i'm alright with paying it forward.

that said, read 20 or so pages back.... some of your lingering questions might already have answers there.
also this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite/8280

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,438 of 1,909
Quick question, I have read one persons take on this but looking for a little more confirmation. Is there an audible sound improvement to the Modi 2 over the original Modi. I am considering upgrading but the original has all the 'features' I need so unless version 2 sounds better there is no reason to upgrade.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,440 of 1,909
Quick question, I have read one persons take on this but looking for a little more confirmation. Is there an audible sound improvement to the Modi 2 over the original Modi. I am considering upgrading but the original has all the 'features' I need so unless version 2 sounds better there is no reason to upgrade.
Just speculating but... I think that whatever knowledge that they've gained about USB from developing the Wyrd, is mostly implemented into the Modi 2 Uber. I forget who, but someone Bigro did a short comparison on Modi 1 vs Modi 2 Uber, noticed that modi 1 benefited the most with the Wyrd while the Wyrd didn't change the Modi 2 Uber much. Your 2 best options is probably buy Wyrd and be done or sell Modi 1 and buy Modi 2 Uber. Option 2 would probably be the cheaper of the two. Just my opinion/thought on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back