The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #348 of 1,909
  Looks like the Asgard 2 is getting a big squeeze from these two new and lower priced amps.

It doesn't look like better value at this point, but it certainly has its market and appeal. I own one and wouldn't buy anything else.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #351 of 1,909
  So would you guys say that there is a difference but not a perceivable difference between the 2 and uber. I'm new to this stuff but I wouldn't think such minute changes would be readily perceivable. 

I haven't heard either, but my hypothesis (I'm a scientist, so I tend to think this way) is that there is a discernible difference between Modi2 and Modi 2 Uber, with the Uber configuration providing higher sound quality. One key distinction, from what I've read of the FAQ and specs is that Uber has a better power supply than Modi2, and that can make for a significant improvement. Most high-end audio components are measured by the quality of their power supplies, as this subsystem is really key for high performance and sound quality. The product description also says that Uber has  a more sophisticated circuit topology than Modi2, so that, as I've pointed in this thread a couple of times, can also amount to a notable improvement in sound quality.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #355 of 1,909
Is it possible to use this without a amplifier and just plug the headphones directly in to the dac (with a rca to 3,5 mm adapter) and have everything work properly?  

And also, how is schiits packaging, will the dac survive a trip to the EU?  

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #356 of 1,909
  Is it possible to use this without a amplifier and just plug the headphones directly in to the dac (with a rca to 3,5 mm adapter) and have everything work properly?  

Yes, but you would have no gain and volume control.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #357 of 1,909

And also, how is schiits packaging, will the dac survive a trip to the EU?  

In short, no, it wouldn't really work. *

Schiit's packaging should be fine.

* Technically you'd get sound, but the analog portion of most DACs really isn't designed to drive headphones or speakers, so it's almost guaranteed to sound very bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back