The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #31 of 1,909

I feel your pain. Ordered my modi two weeks ago, had it a few days. Oh, man, my timing is impeccable. Ha!

same here, i'll still be getting the modi 2 uber

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #33 of 1,909
So where does this leave the asgard 2? seems like there is no need for it anymore given that the magni 2 uber has higher power, preamp outputs and switchable gain. Still the Asgard is more expensive. .

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #34 of 1,909
  So where does this leave the asgard 2? seems like there is no need for it anymore given that the magni 2 uber has higher power, preamp outputs and switchable gain. Still the Asgard is more expensive. .

Asgard 3 incoming?  Asgard 2 is class A whereas Magni 2 is AB; will be interesting to see peoples impressions on Magni 2 vs Asgard 2 and Modi 2 vs Modi vs Bifrost.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #35 of 1,909

The Asgard 2 is 100% Class A for the highest performance but its runs pretty hot.

The Magni is Class A-B, which is why it runs significantly cooler.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #36 of 1,909
I was wondering the same thing. Asgard 2 does have more power at the 300 and 600 Ohm marks, suggesting that it would scale better with different headphones. Also, its -3 dB upper limit is also 400 kHz compared to 200 kHz for Magni 2 and 250 kHz for Magni 2 Uber. That definitely means that Asgard doesn't roll off as much in the upper range (although human hearing tends to roll off around 20 kHz anyway).

My guess is that we'll eventually see an Asgard 3 that bridges the power differences between Magni and Lyr. You might still need some other features on in to make it appealing, though, like more inputs/outputs.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #38 of 1,909
Cut/Paste from the FAQs

And the difference between Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber?

Lots. Let’s break it down:

Inputs: Modi 2 only has USB, Modi 2 Uber has USB, optical, and coax.

Control: Modi 2 has no controls, Modi 2 Uber has an input selection switch.

Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart.

Analog Section: Modi 2 is capacitor-coupled output, Modi 2 Uber has DC-coupled output with a servo.

Chassis: Modi 2 has a painted steel chassis, while Modi 2 Uber has an aluminum top and pushbutton (pinched off the Bifrost, natch!)

If this thing is so great, why would I step up to Bifrost or Gungnir?

Because you want even higher performance. Or upgradability. Modis aren’t upgradable. 

Altho... for the price of the upgrades... you can buy a Modi 2 Uber. At that price point, buying a whole unit is cheaper than upgrading. Maybe cheaper upgrade boards is in the works.

E: Or uber comes standard at the 350 price tag.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #39 of 1,909
  Cut/Paste from the FAQs

And the difference between Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber?
Lots. Let’s break it down:

Inputs: Modi 2 only has USB, Modi 2 Uber has USB, optical, and coax.
Control: Modi 2 has no controls, Modi 2 Uber has an input selection switch.
Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart.
Analog Section: Modi 2 is capacitor-coupled output, Modi 2 Uber has DC-coupled output with a servo.
Chassis: Modi 2 has a painted steel chassis, while Modi 2 Uber has an aluminum top and pushbutton (pinched off the Bifrost, natch!)

If this thing is so great, why would I step up to Bifrost or Gungnir?
Because you want even higher performance. Or upgradability. Modis aren’t upgradable. 

Thank you, but I meant between the Modi and the Modi 2 Uber. Specifically will the linear power supply and dc servo make that big a difference? Like I said, I'm not concerned about the different connection/control methods, as all I use is USB anyway. Is USB audio 2 that much better than USB audio 1 for those of us running regular 16bit 44.1khz files?

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #40 of 1,909
Any benefit to modi 2 uber if you're only using optical and already have optimodi?

I'm waiting to pick up Yggdrasil (I hear 12/20!!!!! [just kidding]) and don't really want to buy another dac until then, unless it's, you know, cheap and awesome, and better than the optimodi I have now.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #41 of 1,909
Now i hope there will be another chapter where mike is rolling his eyes about all digital stuffs and that's how modi uber has more input :D

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #44 of 1,909
Thefamily just keeps getting bigger. Keep up the good work!

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #45 of 1,909
I was just about to order a bifrost. With modi 2 uber encroaching on bifrost, I guess I'll wait another year for bifrost 2, assuming there will be another 12 product reveals in 2015 :)

Keep up the great work guys. I'm saving up to get some more Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back