The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #542 of 1,909
I've seen some potential misinformation in a few posts...

Quote:
  The Modi 2 Uber get's power from a wall wart so the USB cable is just for the signal.

Another reason I'm getting the Modi 2 Uber instead of the Modi 2 is because it has a linear power supply and wall wart. I've heard too many bad things about USB-powered audio components.

I contacted Schiit CS and asked if I would still need my Wyrd to use my iPhone as a source.  The answer was yes, because the wall wart only provides power for the optical and coax inputs.  If you're having USB power problems, the Modi 2 Uber will not help you at all.  You'll still need a Wyrd or USB powered hub.  Sucks that the Wyrd finish will not match my Ubers...I would've paid extra to have a Modi 2 Uber that could provide the same clean power signal that Wyrd provides.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #545 of 1,909
Sucks that the Wyrd finish will not match my Ubers...I would've paid extra to have a Modi 2 Uber that could provide the same clean power signal that Wyrd provides.

Me too...bummer.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #546 of 1,909
I've seen some potential misinformation in a few posts...

I contacted Schiit CS and asked if I would still need my Wyrd to use my iPhone as a source.  The answer was yes, because the wall wart only provides power for the optical and coax inputs.  If you're having USB power problems, the Modi 2 Uber will not help you at all.  You'll still need a Wyrd or USB powered hub.  Sucks that the Wyrd finish will not match my Ubers...I would've paid extra to have a Modi 2 Uber that could provide the same clean power signal that Wyrd provides.

I was just going from the information on their website.

Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart.

They did not disclose the information you just revealed anywhere I can find on their site. I feel they should have. Are you sure they specifically said that the wall wart does not provide power for the DAC when connected to a computer via USB?

At any rate, I know people who own the original Modi and have no USB power problems. I would be using it with my laptop via USB with no hubs or anything. I hope I don't need the Wyrd to make it sound its best.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #547 of 1,909

They did not disclose the information you just revealed anywhere I can find on their site. I feel they should have. Are you sure they specifically said that the wall wart does not provide power for the DAC when connected to a computer via USB?

At any rate, I know people who own the original Modi and have no USB power problems. I would be using it with my laptop via USB with no hubs or anything. I hope I don't need the Wyrd to make it sound its best.

Laptops are usually much better with the USB noise issues.  I've got an original Modi that has noise when used in my desktop setup (most likely a ground loop somewhere that I haven't been quite able to isolate), but 0 zero issues with my laptop.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #549 of 1,909

I have found completely the opposite with my laptops.

Welp guess I should caveat my post then.  Definitely my experience, and what I felt like I had seen anecdotally on the site here

I do agree that nothing on schiit.com would lead you to believe that the Modi 2 uber used USB power under any circumstances.  I hope that's not the case as I planned on bringing my Wyrd/Modi/Magni to the office, and just use the 2 Ubers at home going forward.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #550 of 1,909

I agree, based on Schiit's view on customer support (Chapter 29: "...if they’re asking about something that’s unclear, make sure you fix it right away. If they’re confused, lots of other people are confused, too. Remember Amazon’s rule of customer service: If you have to contact us, we’ve failed."), they need to make it more clear that the linear power supply and wall wart are ONLY for the optical and coax connections.  Schiit is very clear that Wyrd may or may not make your system "sound its best"...if you don't have any problems and your source doesn't need additional power, you're probably fine without Wyrd.

Anyway, here's my email with Nick (Schiit Tech):

Me:
Hello,

I just bought my Magni, Modi, Wyrd combo last month.  Works great, but the new versions (specifically the Uber models) are looking really good right now.  I see that the Modi 2 Uber is powered.  Will this provide the same, clean powered signal that my Wyrd provides?

Nick:
No, it does not.

Me:
In other words, can I get away with a Magni/Modi 2 Uber combo for use with my iPhone or will the Wyrd still be required for power?

Nick:
Something will be required for power, including a powered hub or Wyrd.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #551 of 1,909
Hmm.  Interesting.  Goes against how you would think it would work logically (You've got a wall wart power supply, so just have all power derived from it), but I'm no engineer.  I'm sure Jason will chime in with some additional info.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #552 of 1,909
In other words, can I get away with a Magni/Modi 2 Uber combo for use with my iPhone or will the Wyrd still be required for power?
He might be answering to a specific scenario (iPhone). You can't plug a USB dac directly to a ipad/iphone w/o the CCK/usb hub. It'll trigger a pop up stating that it can't power the USB device, even if the device has it's own wallwart.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #553 of 1,909
  I agree, based on Schiit's view on customer support (Chapter 29: "...if they’re asking about something that’s unclear, make sure you fix it right away. If they’re confused, lots of other people are confused, too. Remember Amazon’s rule of customer service: If you have to contact us, we’ve failed."), they need to make it more clear that the linear power supply and wall wart are ONLY for the optical and coax connections.  Schiit is very clear that Wyrd may or may not make your system "sound its best"...if you don't have any problems and your source doesn't need additional power, you're probably fine without Wyrd.

Anyway, here's my email with Nick (Schiit Tech):

He might be answering to a specific scenario (iPhone). You can't plug a USB dac directly to a ipad/iphone w/o the CCK/usb hub. It'll trigger a pop up stating that it can't power the USB device, even if the device has it's own wallwart.

Someone needs to ask whether it's USB powered when you use it with a computer and USB connection. He didn't say anything about that specifically.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #554 of 1,909
Got my Modi 2 Uber in over the weekend but it was delivered to my work so I opened it up today.  Feels great, looks great... The input select button on the front could have been done a little better.  If you shake it, the button rattles. I thought something was loose inside at first.  

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #555 of 1,909
Really? The Bifrost draws power over USB, rather than using its internal power supply? I know the Modi works that way, but I would have thought the Bifrost could work standalone.

The Bifrost's USB card is powered through USB. This is actually a good thing, because it means that it shows up on your computer even when the DAC is off. So any time you turn it on or off your computer doesn't do the output switching dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back