The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #181 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? Yes (Less than 20)
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 0.01%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?  Unlikely

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #182 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes - around 100

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
Around 25% Hybrid SACDs and 75% Red Book CDs

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?
Yes

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
Yes... about 200$

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #183 of 333
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Just a few.

Very low, less than 5%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?
Not really

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
I would say about $100-$300 depending on the overall quality of the DAC, but possibly will not need it.

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #184 of 333
Yeas.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Not much, seven.

5%

This factor is of paramount importance

150$

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #185 of 333
I am not familiar with it. I've encountered it many times in passing online but never bothered to investigate as availability seems limited.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No my collection is 100% CDs ripped to FLAC or pure FLAC purchases stored digitally.
N/A
Despite owning several DACs it's not something I've ever even considered. I care much more about price/performance and signal purity. I prefer DACs that offer simple elegant solutions that achieve their purpose over feature packed offerings.
No.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #186 of 333

So, in order:

YES-SACD is dying, DSD is trying....as in PITA          

2. Do you own any SACDs?
Nope

0%

Nope-didn't even consider it until I had to answer this ?

Not unless it was like a $5 upgrade, then- maybe?

Hi rez files are 100% more important to me and the quality of that playback not a dying format and another trying to gain a foothold.
    Ed

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #187 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
100% Files
No, I see the future is in digital (Files), so I will be purchasing lossless files
About 100$, for experimenting purposes

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #188 of 333

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

Definitely not, digital files are by far more convenient than any physical format. 
Would not even consider it unless it were sub 100USD.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #189 of 333

No.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
SACD 0%, CD 5%, Files 95%
No.
Not interested cause I don't really need this feature.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #190 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Only a couple

Roughly 2%

I could do without it

I would spend that money elsewhere in audio.

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #191 of 333

SACD no, DSD Yes (some of my CD have this feature)
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No.
N/A
Not actually, i dont even sure that its actually affect the source quality.
Until i was believed that its actually affect the sound output and the need to own SACD, currently NO.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #192 of 333

Just a little bit
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
  No
  50% CDs 50% files in WAV 1440 format or MP3 320
  No - not really
  I am assuming it is something im going to want to have down the road, so id pay $50 more for that option.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #193 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Yes and yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? No.
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?  --
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No to both.
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? No interest for this at the moment. That statement could change in the future though.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #194 of 333

Yes and No
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No, not yet atleast
-
I don't find it neccecary since most of my music is on my computer. Altough it might be a nice function with future upgrades in mind.
I wouldn't want to pay more then 25-50% of the price of a standalone SACD player.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #195 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?

No physical discs, only digital PCM transcodes atm.

A few percents at best.

Nope, because you cannot edit DSD...so they're always PCM transcodes. SACD is a middle man that has become the price to pay to get superior sounding mastering. Especially when you have DVD-A's using MLP.

$100 for DSD would make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back