The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #151 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. Yes, I'm familiar with both SACD and DSD.

2. Yes, around 25-30.

3. Probably around 7-8% are SACDs. However, I also have .dff files ripped directly from SACD.

4. Yes, it is very, very important to me.

5. ~150-200 USD

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #152 of 333
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs
Only one ...pink floyd ...DSOTM
1/40,000
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
NO, doubt if is possible to transfer the single bit stream through usb ? HDMI in would do ok . DVD-audio , DTS looks more promesing to me
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
In the EU - SACD -are difficult to find in the retail business, i guess mainly on ebay.... Like BETAMAX ...
Would pay more fore any DTS features! HDMI in .... Tablet --->>HDMI out --> DAC/AMP

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #153 of 333

Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Not at the moment.
SACD: -
CD: ~40% CD and some of them ripped into FLAC&ALAC
Digital files: ~60% - 20% ALAC, 65% 320kbps MP3, 15% others
Yes, because there is a huge possibility that I'm getting some in the near future.
I would value the upgrade at $180.

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #154 of 333
Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
3 disks

a bit under 0.4%

No not at all.

I doubt I would upgrade.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #155 of 333

Quote:
Yes and no, I know how SACD/DSD works and its advantages and disadvantages in audio use. But I do not exactly know how such DACs would work.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes, a miserly 4 CDs though and counting.
3% SACD, the rest is CDs/Files.
Not now, SACD forms a miserly 3% of what I listen to, the rest are CDs or tracks. For the rest, there is 24/96.
It would be unfair to you for us, the consumer to put a price on proper R and D. I would pay for the upgrade if there is definitive improvement and preferrably a HDMI in(and decryption) for people using the DAC with their SACD players.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #156 of 333
No
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
0%, 1%, 99%
No
$80

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #157 of 333

Quote:
2. Do you own any SACDs? 

1: Yep
2: Yep
3: Out of around 700 discs, 5% SACD, 2% DVD Audio, remainder CD or equivalent files. I'm not including analog material in these figures. 
4: Nope
5: Not a lot, since it doesn't matter much to me - say $50. 

smile.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #158 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? - Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? - 30+
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? about 5%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? - hadn't thought about it but that would be awesome.
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? - depends on the quality and existing features of the DAC it was going into.  If say an add on that could go into the Bifrost (instead of the USB) $200 max.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #159 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
None currently. 

N/A

No

Off the top of my head, $150. I know very little about how much SACD players and compatible DACs cost, but I would pay at least that much more for an SACD capable Bifrost. I would likely be willing to spend more after I've invested in an SACD collection. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #160 of 333
Yes, I am.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No, I don't.

30% cd, 70% lossless or lossy.

It depends on the availability of this format.

1/3 the price of the item.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #161 of 333

1. In theory, yes.  In actual use, no.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
  1. No, but it's in my upgrade path.
  1. 100% files (with CDs in archives if avail)
  1. Not at the moment, but in the future ~4-5years
  1. Definitely, yes.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #162 of 333
YES

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
NO

ZERO PERCENT

NOT REALLY, NO

MAYBE, BUT MORE LIKELY NO

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #163 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes.
1%.
No.
No.

Would love a Bitfrost!

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #164 of 333
no
2. Do you own any SACDs?
yes, I bought one not knowing what it was, got rid of it before I joined here.. grew tired of the band. :p
0%SACD 90%CD 10%files and only because physical copies were only available as expensive imports xD
no? The SACD I had was just music and a link to a website, it might have sounded better but I was using cheap onboard sound/speakers at the time so I can't say for sure, plus it was a while ago.
no

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #165 of 333
Question five is asking what you would pay, not if you would pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back