The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #31 of 333

Quote:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?

Yup, sure.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?

0.2%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 

Not really. IMHO even Redbook's limits aren't reached in under $1.5k DACs, which is the budget i'm aiming. I mean even there are even a couple 44.1/16 DAC in my interest list

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

Not more than $200

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #32 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? no
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? n/a
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? no
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? $100

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #33 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
No 
100% CD-many have been loaded to iPod
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
$50

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #34 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes

10%

No

No  but...  that could change. Of course price will be a significant factor. But I think my answer of no is correct in that I would not exclude buying a DAC because it did not decode SACD/DSD.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #35 of 333

Yes, Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

No SACDs, 50%-CD 50%-ALAC (Converting all to Lossless)

Not at the current time.

10% to 20% of the cost of the DAC

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #36 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes
less than 10%
Nope
Not  much at all

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #37 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

Yes, I’m familiar with SACD & DSD.
2. Do you own any SACDs?
Unfortunately, I don’t.
0% SACDs, 5% CDs, 95% files (FLAC).
Nope, it isn't.
~150$.
That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #38 of 333

Not familiar with either, though I gather it's a different audio format.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Don't believe so.

See above.

If it's superior in audio format, then I would be interested in learning more. As of now, it is not that important as I haven't quite reached that Hi-Fi level yet.

If the sound quality is drastically improved on a level that justifies the price, yes.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 333
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes

Maybe 10% SACD, 5% downloaded (lossy), 85% Ripped CDs.  Most of the SACD's are hybrids and I'm in the process of ripping the Redbook side. 

It used to be, but Sony's predictably complete blundering of the format has made it much less so.  Very little music I seek is, or ever will be, available on SACD, or hi-res download.  Telarc was the last holdout for SACD for me, but even they've pretty much scrapped new prints. DSD is a very good format, and I'd like to see it become available in downloadable content.  If it does, I will return to it.  But physical SACD discs seem all but out of print today.  Worse, disc players that can play them almost universally have no digital out save for a handful of newer HDMI 1.4a players, so none of my players could utilize the feature on an outboard DAC anyway.

In the present market for SACDs and HDMI 1.4a players that could export digital DSD, $0.  If DSD picks up stream and becomes a viable digital format with a useful library of media, up to $100, same as USB on Bifrost.

If the question relates to possible features on the statement DAC, which will be released within the next year, there's too little SACD market to warrant $100 on it, yet it would hardly be a statement DAC without the option.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #41 of 333

Quote:

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?  

No, since this format is hard to find and I don't own a player capable of playing it.

Mostly digital downloads from high res sources, plus rips of the few CDs I own. So, between 80/20-90/10 respectively.

No, since I wouldn't need it.

Since I don't own any, I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade, but I think a reasonable price would be ~$400 considering SACD players and transports usually cost double that or more. I have no idea what the technology itself is worth.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #42 of 333

Quote:
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
5% CD, 95% files
At this time, no.
No more than a couple hundred dollars.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #43 of 333

1. Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
  1. No
  1. No
  1. No, I prefer digital lossless files.
  1. No I personally would not. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #44 of 333

YES

2. Do you own any SACDs?

Nope

N/A

Nope

Nope

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #45 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes

Maybe 3-4%

Yes and no.  I wont buy (invest heavily) in a DAC that decodes SACD and DSD if it sounds worse than another that only does CD.  SQ, as in transparency, resolving power, natural accuracy are first and foremost.   A secondary solution to utilize that last 3-4% makes sense over something that compromises 95-97% of my content.  An all-in-one solution that does the best for all is ideal of course as long as it's not either a unicorn or pile of BS.

$200-$250 tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back