The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jan 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #706 of 1,456
I was hoping not to open this unit since it's the family unit and not my own personal one.

But yes, I've seen Dminor's collection of OVER 9000!!! iPods + mods. XD

Here is the Rockboxed 256GB CF DMod with a clean line out taking analog signals from dac directly to the lod pins lifted off board. Took this pic while driving today.

Warn you. Modding can be addictive.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #707 of 1,456

Here is the Rockboxed 256GB CF DMod with a clean line out taking analog signals from dac directly to the lod pins lifted off board. Took this pic while driving today.

Holy Schiit. How long has the unit been operating with its current  set of modifications?

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #708 of 1,456

I disagree. Most people don't even know they want better quality, but once they've had it... You might remember a company that designed a VERY expensive phone for people who didn't realize they "needed" a $500 phone?

The reason this currently a niche market is twofold:

1) The big players like Sony and Apple are comfortable making money on equipment that S. Jobs would call s#!t. They feel more comfortable reporting volume to shareholders at a price-point that has proven acceptable to a majority of consumers. They will cost/corner cut as long as the numbers hold out... And S. Jobs is dead...

2) They little guys are either unwilling or unable to create the NEW market by taking a risk and creating awareness. One that makes the iPod as obsolete as the flip-phone.

Unfortunately for us, with more consumers accepting crap products, it's very unlikely that we'll ever see a market defining portable music device again. The launch of the iPod classic and iPhone were probably the end of the possibility in my opinion.

Music is on the cloud, people have more readily accepted a phone that will provide media access, rather than carry a phone and a pmp. I have a younger cousin who asked my why I still had iPods, and didn't understand why i didn't just use my phone. 

How is that disagreeing with anything I said?  You're just restating what I did.  :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #709 of 1,456
  Holy Schiit. How long has the unit been operating with its current  set of modifications?

The 256GB CF card was just added and rockboxed about 4 weeks ago. It's been months testing various caps and finally I nailed it down to two options - 1) the magic & unconventional "green" caps, and 2) no caps at all.

What's amazing is with option 2) I have an absolutely clean audio path from dac to amp output, as my amp has been designed without using dc coupling caps yet capable of compensating some dc offsets to a certain ceiling with a DC servo circuit.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #710 of 1,456

What case is that?

I definitely need one as I have a similar DAP..

Rockboxed iPod 5g - CF Modded 128GB with Tarkans Adapter.. with 1uf polyester film caps.. for the JDS Labs C5 amp and a pure-silver LOD...

Is it worth upgrading my DAP even when we have these beasts? Can't find anything that can beat the rockbox UI - Storage/Flexibility

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #711 of 1,456
  What case is that?

I definitely need one as I have a similar DAP..

Rockboxed iPod 5g - CF Modded 128GB with Tarkans Adapter.. with 1uf polyester film caps.. for the JDS Labs C5 amp and a pure-silver LOD...

Is it worth upgrading my DAP even when we have these beasts? Can't find anything that can beat the rockbox UI - Storage/Flexibility

Here is the case.

Well, you can try something else and you can always keep this and sell that. That's what lots of head-fi'ers are doing even tho some may not know exactly what they are doing. :)

Try mod one with a clean analog LO (no caps) to UHA-6S.MK2 (the only amp I know without dc coupling caps), and you will be blown with that kind of transparency, details & effortless sounding. If you use other amps, make sure they can handle 1.5 volts of dc offsets with or without dc coupling caps in the audio path.

Adding caps can add a (positive) signature to the sound with some sacrifice on transparency. For example, the caps could boost dynamics and energize the sounding by extending bass/treble on both ends.

I like both, with or without caps. I switch between them all the time. Feels really good. :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #712 of 1,456
Any chance you might make it to the upcoming LA meet?

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #714 of 1,456
Anybody know if I can use a microSD to OTG cable and connect a USB flash drive to something like a Sansa Clip Zip running Rockbox?  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  At least that way I can get larger memory than 64gb.

Just curious if anybody knows.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #715 of 1,456
  Anybody know if I can use a microSD to OTG cable and connect a USB flash drive to something like a Sansa Clip Zip running Rockbox?  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  At least that way I can get larger memory than 64gb.

Just curious if anybody knows.

Thanks.

I doubt it would work.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #716 of 1,456
I think it's better to get a good smartphone with a decent DAC, or use an Android-compatible usb DAC/AMP via OTG cable, than spending big money in a pseudo-audiophile DAP with crappy software/hardware match.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #718 of 1,456
I think it's better to get a good smartphone with a decent DAC, or use an Android-compatible usb DAC/AMP via OTG cable, than spending big money in a pseudo-audiophile DAP with crappy software/hardware match.

Oh - and how many of these  "pseudo-audiophile DAPs" have you actually tried to make that statement ....... ?  (just curious)

I used to think the same way - until I bought the Studio Anniversary V3.  And if Fiio improve the X5's UI (which I'm confident they will), then I'd take that over a smartphone any day.

Speaking from my own actual experience of course 
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #719 of 1,456
Oh - and how many of these  "pseudo-audiophile DAPs" have you actually tried to make that statement ....... ?  (just curious)  

I haven't. It's a thought, not a statement, based on your own impressions above. Of course if you can find a DAP with audiophile sound and good UI it will be a nice-to-have unit, but it must cost some bucks to achieve that goal, wich you can save for a good smartphone.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #720 of 1,456

I used to think the same way - until I bought the Studio Anniversary V3.  And if Fiio improve the X5's UI (which I'm confident they will), then I'd take that over a smartphone any day.

Speaking from my own actual experience of course 
wink.gif

I was also skeptical myself but the fact is I had an open mind and didn't mind trying different things. Even if it prooved my own biases wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back